Mr.McGibblets

Evan Reed being investigated for sexual assault

Do we have to assume that this lady's judgement is perfect? She easily could have thought, "Hey, a ballplayer...he must be rich."

Plenty of posters suggested this was obviously a blatant money grab by her.

I simply am suggesting that if this thing were truly just a calculated money grab and nothing more, I'd think the individual would, you know, confirm the individual actually had pile of money before filing the charges.

It would have been relatively easy for her to ascertain after the fact both she was with Evan Reed and that he didn't have any real money, and therefore it was best to move on rather than filing charges and go through this rigmarole when there was never going to be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Someone asked earlier why one would damn this guy, but accept Miguel, who was drinking and driving and endangered life.

Good question.

I thought about it some, and the best I can come up with is I think Miguel is an alcoholic and I think his incident(s), while regrettable, stem from alcoholism. I think he has a hard time not drinking -> gets into a dark place when he does drink -> bad things happen. I don't think he wants to be a drunk, nor do I think when he would do those bad things when he is sober.

I think picking up very drunk women is something Evan has little to no problem with while sober.

This isn't meant to excuse the former.

I just think less of someone who does something reprehensible of clear frame of mind relative to someone who does something reprehensible while inebriated.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I think the question is whether he committed the crime of rape. I doubt anyone would argue that Reed isn't a sleaze bag. But was there enough evidence to show that he raped that woman? I watched the hearing and I didnt think there was. What I saw was a woman lying in court and getting called on it. You have to prove a crime took place and that wasn't done. The woman said herself that when she asked him to stop two times, he stopped.

Plenty of posters suggested this was obviously a blatant money grab by her.

I simply am suggesting that if this thing were truly just a calculated money grab and nothing more, I'd think the individual would, you know, confirm the individual actually had pile of money before filing the charges.

It would have been relatively easy for her to ascertain after the fact both she was with Evan Reed and that he didn't have any real money, and therefore it was best to move on rather than filing charges and go through this rigmarole when there was never going to be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

You would do this. Not everyone is that smart. You have to be aware of this.

Maybe the woman wasn't that smart and assumed that becuase he's a Tiger he has a bunch of money. I dont say it was a money grab, all I say is we don't know what happened but it wasn't proven in court that Evan Reed committed rape. And the accuser lied on the witness stand

I would propose a simple question for anyone that wishes to participate.

Do you think even reed participated in sexual activity with that woman during the night, where she was unable to give consent?

My answer to that question is yes. The evidence of the fecal matter on the sheets leads me to believe they had sex. The description of the video of them arriving at the hotel makes me believe that she was unable to give consent. And the fact that the prosecutors decided to pursue charges, where they had access to more evidence and testimony than anyone else, makes me believe that.

This isn't a question of whether he should have been convicted or not.

I'm not asking if you are certain. I'm not certain. It's impossible to know for sure unless you are Evan Reed.

If you had to answer yes or no, did he do it?

I would also add, unrelated to the above question, that it's easy to label the victim a liar, but reed has the luxury of not having to testify and be cross examined. It's not uncommon for a witness to have an inconsistency in their story.

Fecal matter could mean she was so drunk she **** the bed. I dont know if they had sex that night or if they waited until the next morning. The judge did point out that she didnt say she had pain in the anus or vagina when she woke up and that there was no evidence at all to show they had sex that night. And if you say common sense tells you she did you could also say common sense should tell a woman not to go up to a man's room because common sense should tell her why he's bringing her there.

To me the whole question here is whetehr he should be charged with rape and I don't think he should. Whether he had sex or not that night I don't know and nobody does

I don't know if she consented or not. But I will say, if she was begging him to have have sex with her, it wouldn't be the first time ever that a woman so drunk she couldn't walk would do such a thing. Now I would agree that being that drunk to begin with should fire off a signal in a normal person's brain to stay away from her, but if he was drunk also, I could see where he would just say "**** it, let's go".

Under that scenario, he would absolutely be wrong for doing what he did. But should he be called a rapist? Absolutely not.

I also don't buy the money grab argument so much. It's possible. But it's more likely she was a drunk woman simply looking to get laid.

I for one believe that Evan Reed took an incredibly intoxicated woman to bed with him, but being a gentleman simply let her crap in his bed without touching her and then they had sex in the crap filled bed the next morning when she could give consent.

I'm not calling him a rapist, but I am calling him someone who could possibly be a rapist. And fortunately, baseball teams don't have to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt, so I'm pretty comfortable saying I never want to see him in a Tigers (or Mudhens etc) uniform again.

It seems an obvious thing to confirm the person you intend to sue for money actually has money.

It takes virtually no effort to determine his lifetime earnings in baseball on the internet.

I understand criminals tend to be dumb, but one doesn't have to be terribly bright or industrious to check the numbers if the plan all along was to just get paid.

I also don't buy the money grab argument so much. It's possible. But it's more likely she was a drunk woman simply looking to get laid.

I think she wanted to hook up with a Tiger.

I also think she either was roofie'd and just so bombed that when she woke up she was disoriented and appalled what had happened. I don't think this was about getting money.

Complete side bar discussion: How bad must it be to work at a hotel and find beds in these states and have to clean up?

I think she wanted to hook up with a Tiger.

I also think she either was roofie'd and just so bombed that when she woke up she was disoriented and appalled what had happened. I don't think this was about getting money.

Complete side bar discussion: How bad must it be to work at a hotel and find beds in these states and have to clean up?

My guess is the bedding gets thrown into an incinerator.

I don't give much credence for the money grab argument either. Women have egos too. I'm sure for a 40 something woman, it's a nice ego boost to say she bagged a ML baseball player 20 yrs younger then her.

I also think, being a women in her 40's she probably regretted it in the morning.

I'm still not sure what to think about the allegations of drugs in her drink. It would seem to me a ML player wouldn't have to do that, but I don't know.

My guess is the bedding gets thrown into an incinerator.

It doesn't.

Hell, if the cleaning people are in a hurry, it's very possible they don't change the sheets sometimes.

It doesn't.

Hell, if the cleaning people are in a hurry, it's very possible they don't change the sheets sometimes.

It would be hard to leave a pile of poo on the sheets. Obviously the next person would notice.

It seems an obvious thing to confirm the person you intend to sue for money actually has money.

It takes virtually no effort to determine his lifetime earnings in baseball on the internet.

I understand criminals tend to be dumb, but one doesn't have to be terribly bright or industrious to check the numbers if the plan all along was to just get paid.

It's more likely that a stupid drunk woman would just assume that a baseball player was wealthy than go to Cots Contracts Probably via google) to learn Evan Reed's salary. I don't think it was a money grab though. It could have been an older women trying to boost her self esteem by getting some action from a young professional athlete. That is my guess.

It does seem that Reed took advantage of her without consent, but he may have been so drunk himself that he wasn't really thinking straight as opposed to trying to get her to pass out so he could do what he wanted. Either way, he sounds like a creepy person, but I suspect a lot of professional athletes to be that way. So, I'm not really enraged by it. I hate the culture more than I hate him specifically.

not sure why people want to jump to conclusions about evan reed without knowing all the facts.

it's possible that she was too drunk to consent to sex when they left the bar, but after sleeping a few hours, woke up and communicated consent to reed and then they had sex, and after more sleep she didn't remember the next morning. entirely possible. you have to look at it from reed's perspective. she may be saying "yes" and sounding convincing, when in reality she doesn't remember in the morning.

the only conclusion i can draw from what's been made public is that the prosecutor couldn't even get the case bound over to circuit court. that tells me a lot.

They have other relievers they could call up.

Was is it there plan all along to stash him in Toledo until after the case was brought to court and then call him up if it was dismissed?

He's being promoted tomorrow. The reactions will be interesting.

If he does well, it will be "Yay, Evan Reed."

If he does poorly, it will be "stupid rapist."

They have other relievers they could call up.

Was is it there plan all along to stash him in Toledo until after the case was brought to court and then call him up if it was dismissed?

He's been pretty strong recently. They may be playing the hot hand.

I'm hoping they are calling him up just so that they can remove him from the 40 man roster again and release him when doing so.

I'm also hoping that because it will be his second DFA, he will just elect free agency. Maybe the tigers are doing it this way with a handshake agreement that he will do so.