Sign in to follow this  
FRM710

UM Bball team going to Europe this summer

From Freep.com

By Mark Snyder

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

It appears the Michigan basketball team will get more than its usual summer work, taking a trip to Europe.

It’s allowed every four years by NCAA rules and the Wolverines went to Belgium and Amsterdam in 2010.

On the Inside Michigan Basketball television show, Michigan coach John Beilein indicated U-M will take an overseas trip this year in an mgoblue.com interview after the Elite Eight loss to Kentucky.

“This is the year that we can go to Europe,” he said during the “Coffee with the Coach” segment. “So we’ll have another 10 days that we can practice and improve and we have some young kids coming in that can now go to Europe, so it will be a good time for us.”

Beilein was thrilled four years ago when the NCAA allowed incoming freshmen to go, helping build the core of that year’s NCAA tournament team.

This year U-M has four incoming players — Kameron Chatman, D.J. Wilson, Ricky Doyle and Austin Hatch — with all but Hatch expected to compete for playing time.

In coming to terms with (probably) all 3 guys going pro, I'm excited to see what Kameron, D.J. and Ricky do as freshman. No reason this team can't make another run.

That being said, Europe would be way more fun with Nik, Glen and Mitch along for the ride.

I think at least one of the 3 will stay. Just a gut feeling.

Can't help but have flashbacks to the Fab 5 when I think of the team travelling to Europe.

In coming to terms with (probably) all 3 guys going pro, I'm excited to see what Kameron, D.J. and Ricky do as freshman. No reason this team can't make another run.

That being said, Europe would be way more fun with Nik, Glen and Mitch along for the ride.

And don't forget Donnal. He redshirted this year and is expected to be pretty good...the stretch 4 JB hasn't really yet had in Ann Arbor.