DTroppens

Mike Hessman milestones possible records

Apparently Hessman is 14 home runs away from breaking the International League career record. He's also closing in on 400 career minor league home runs.

Okay, we're talking minor leagues, but it's still pretty cool. And while Mike Hessman has never been able to make it stick in the Majors, he did spend some time at the "Show" and it's admirable how he's stuck playing the game he loves for so long.

I saw this story while going on the Mudhens' site a few minutes ago.

Hessman powering his way through the record books | Toledo Mud Hens News

My Brandon Inge hate extends so far as to blaming him for Big Mike being stuck in the minors while we suffered with Brandon "I think I can play anywhere on the field" Inge.

Mike Hessman was my AAT for two years running.

Mike Hessman is at 399 minor league home runs now. I echo Rhino's comments above - in his youth, he had the reputation of being a good defensive third baseman. Nice glove , 25 HR's - yeah, lots of strikeouts, probably sub .750 OPS, but still - there wasn't a major league job for this guy? It's too bad. You have to love him for his perseverance.

He got it, Monday night:

Toledo Mud Hens' Mike Hessman sets International League record with 245th career HR Monday | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Take a look at his minor league batting record. Four hundred and four minor league home runs. He's only 84 short of the record, and he's 36, so it's not totally unreasonable that he's got a shot at it:

Mike Hessman Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

I wonder how much he makes per season as a Mud Hen? Is it even as much as $100,000? I know he pulled down ¥42MM as a Blue Wave in 2011, which is around US$400,000.