davidsb

04/02/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) vs Kansas City Royals (Vargas), 1:08

That would be weird.

Perhaps there isn't a standard lineup at all? I know that on the radio the guys were talking about how Hunter would be moved around throughout the season.

Perhaps there isn't a standard lineup at all? I know that on the radio the guys were talking about how Hunter would be moved around throughout the season.

Maybe not, but Ausmus has said himself he believes there is something to a batter feeling comfortable in a certain hitting spot. Whatever. Not a huge deal. Just seemed weird to change it already.

Collins starting against the leftie is odd...is Davis hurt, is Collins getting a reward, does he hit lefties better, is Ausmus playing a weird hunch?

Maybe not, but Ausmus has said himself he believes there is something to a batter feeling comfortable in a certain hitting spot. Whatever. Not a huge deal. Just seemed weird to change it already.

I'm going to enjoy watching a manager go against the paint-by-numbers strategies.

There is always a different lineup vs a LHP relative to the lineup vs a RHP.

Ausmus wants hunter batting fifth against lefties.

It does seem odd to me that he went with Davis vs a righty and now Collins vs a lefty. I'm sure he has his reasons.

There is always a different lineup vs a LHP relative to the lineup vs a RHP.

Ausmus wants hunter batting fifth against lefties.

It does seem odd to me that he went with Davis vs a righty and now Collins vs a lefty. I'm sure he has his reasons.

Perhaps he was hesitant to start a rookie on opening day. Opening day and MLB debut is a lot for a guy all at once.

That would be weird.

Well, the SS and LF situations kind of dictate things on a game by game basis more than if Dirks and Iglesias were available.

The reason is he is an idiot.

It's like benching Tony Clark in the 2nd game of the season. We are doooooomed.

I'm going to enjoy watching a manager go against the paint-by-numbers strategies.

Not sure I would call it paint by numbers, but either way not a huge deal. I will enjoy watching winning baseball. I hope it is a good year and hope the 'not paint by numbers' strategy works. Winning baseball is more funnererer than non winning baseball.

Makes sense to me. Collins has better splits against lefties and Vargas is more susceptible to home runs and strikes out fewer batter than Shields which plays into Collins strengths.

Davis struggles versus fly ball pitchers and Vargas's splits the last 3 years don't show a clear platoon split. If you further breakdown how Davis does versus pitchers with Vargas's pitch usage and velocity-data the Tigers and all teams would have- then that probably combines to lead them to believe Collins is a better option.

They will probably just say it was b/c of Vargas's and Collins splits last year versus lefties to keep it simple for PR.

I'm still in a state of euphoria that baseball season has started up again.

After such a brutal winter, I think my mood has lifted more than usual. I had four games streaming last night.

Girlfriend wanted me to go watch "Blacklist" with her last night. I had to force myself to turn off the games. It wasn't easy.

There was a foul ball / home run review in the Toronto @ Tampa game that seemed unnecessarily long. Got the foul ball call correct.

I was watching this game and saw the replay as well. Seemed like a ridiculously long review (I believe it was 3:34) for a pretty obvious call. I believe that review was in the 7th inning and the broadcasters did not know if it was an umpire review or a manager challenge. Therefore they didn't know who had challenges left.

Also I don't like how replay busts up the flow of the game. Using the game last night for instance. Evan Longoria made an amazing play to throw out a runner to end the inning. The runner threw a fit because he thought he was safe so Toronto challenged. This caused the Rays to kind of just have to stand there in the field not sure if they should go to the dugout. I think a big play in the field can fire up a team to bat and the review prevented that.

But it was pretty nice to see the reaction of a player when he is a adamant he is right and proved wrong by replay.

I was watching this game and saw the replay as well. Seemed like a ridiculously long review (I believe it was 3:34) for a pretty obvious call. I believe that review was in the 7th inning and the broadcasters did not know if it was an umpire review or a manager challenge. Therefore they didn't know who had challenges left.

Also I don't like how replay busts up the flow of the game. Using the game last night for instance. Evan Longoria made an amazing play to throw out a runner to end the inning. The runner threw a fit because he thought he was safe so Toronto challenged. This caused the Rays to kind of just have to stand there in the field not sure if they should go to the dugout. I think a big play in the field can fire up a team to bat and the review prevented that.

But it was pretty nice to see the reaction of a player when he is a adamant he is right and proved wrong by replay.

Review and replay have ruined (not completely) my enjoyment in the NFL. Mentioned a few times before, but I hate seeing a huge play and not being able to celebrate it until it is 'reviewed' and if it is upheld..it is kind of 'yay' with low emphasis and if reversed it is 'whatever' throwing things at the tv.

On another note, I am very glad to be discussing the lineup for today's game.

Review and replay have ruined (not completely) my enjoyment in the NFL. Mentioned a few times before, but I hate seeing a huge play and not being able to celebrate it until it is 'reviewed' and if it is upheld..it is kind of 'yay' with low emphasis and if reversed it is 'whatever' throwing things at the tv.

+1

I think that there is a way to integrate replay into the game unobtrusively and get more calls right. That being said, I don't think that the challenge system does that, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is done this way for that very reason.

Listening to the San Fran broadcast of the Tues. Night game against Arizona.

They challenged a pick off play... something I consider kind of an over-use of the challenge... and lost.

A moment later Arizona scores on a wild pitch...guy was called safe... but is probably out. SF out of challenges. The Giants' announcers are whining... Instead of pointing out that maybe Bochy should have saved his challenge for a real play.

I have a feeling that the challenge might become annoying that every close play the challenge team is going to stall around until they look for a replay....

The moment I saw that play I thought, OK, this replay thing has just become a problem. Because if expanded replay is all about getting the play call right, then allow for a challenge and review on every close play. Otherwise, do away with it and let the umpires call it.

Now, if this is NOT about getting the play call right—if it's more about adding an interesting wrinkle to the game—well, then, carry on.

I think that there is a way to integrate replay into the game unobtrusively and get more calls right. That being said, I don't think that the challenge system does that, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is done this way for that very reason.

I have often wondered if the NFL wants delays with replays because it is a source of controversy and that generates buzz.

I normally don't buy into Machiavellian machinations as plausible explanations for things, but there are obvious ways to streamline the NFL review process that have gone overlooked or ignored for so long that I have begun to believe the NFL wants the process to be less than streamlined.

The only reason I can think they want it less than streamlined is because they think it generates more interest in the league.

JBKvsBRAD.gif

This GIF is hypnotizing me, because each punch is a perfect one second apart, and it's matching up perfectly with my ticking clock.

I have often wondered if the NFL wants delays with replays because it is a source of controversy and that generates buzz.

I normally don't buy into Machiavellian machinations as plausible explanations for things, but there are obvious ways to streamline the NFL review process that have gone overlooked or ignored for so long that I have begun to believe the NFL wants the process to be less than streamlined.

The only reason I can think they want it less than streamlined is because they think it generates more interest in the league.

There has also been a contingency in baseball that has not wanted replay at all, so those folks trying to set it up to fail wouldn't be surprising to me.