davidsb

03/31/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) vs Kansas City Royals (Shields), 1:08

If anything Leyland pinch ran too often. Remember all of the times he took Cabrera/Martinez/Fielder out of the game and Don Kelly ended up batting?

I'm just glad to see that I was wrong and Alex Gonzalez is apparently the greatest player of all time. Nice opening day!

If anything Leyland pinch ran too often. Remember all of the times he took Cabrera/Martinez/Fielder out of the game and Don Kelly ended up batting?

I'm just glad to see that I was wrong and Alex Gonzalez is apparently the greatest player of all time. Nice opening day!

Actually I don't. I remember Leyland getting criticize for not taking out Fielder out and he would never pinch run Cabrera except for when he was injured.

I think he removed Cabrera for defensive purposes more than he pinch ran him, but that is just my first impression, I don't have data on that.

I think he removed Cabrera for defensive purposes more than he pinch ran him, but that is just my first impression, I don't have data on that.

He did at the end of the year when Cabrera was injured.

Their demeanor in the dugout is a lot different and post game press interviews will change a lot. That was the only striking difference I noticed in game 1. Over the course of a 162 game season, I imagine there could be several in-game differences but its hard to see that in one individual game.

The positioning of defenders and the strategy involved with sequencing of pitches could have been a little different but that's very subtle and hard to tell unless you have a trained eye.

Edited by Scottwood

Yup.

He rarely removed Cabrera for a pinch runner, as best I can recall.

I think this is true. Cabrera is a better base runner than his speed might suggest, at least that is his reputation. He'll occasionally run into an out, but it seems like he is pretty good at taking extra bases if there is a chance.

I am not well versed on base running sabermetrics. I wonder what they say about Cabrera?

Kelly played a total of 11 innings at 1B. Once was the final series of the season when he was resting players for the playoffs. Two other times were late in 11-1 and 10-0 games.

Kelly played 98 innings at 3B over 22 games (7 of which he started), so he entered the game to play defense at 3B 15 times, or about once every 11 games.

If forced to guess, Kelly pinch ran for Cabrera 5 or fewer times last year.

BTW, as far as Verlander goes, I thought he looked good. Control was a bit shaky but I think he is going to have a Cy Young contending year.

The defense had it's problems too.

If I recall correctly, Gonzales had a groundball in his glove,...then he didn't. Torii Hunter had a flyball hit his glove, he didn't catch it. Castellanos tried a running catch into foul territory, pull up short near the stands and then try and stab at the ball with his golve, he didn't make that play either.

It's still early, but game 1 of another 161....

Looking back at the replays, it is clear that my AAT Bryan Holaday was a key player in the walk-off mob at home plate. Dude finds a way to contribute even when he's not in the lineup.