Motor City Sonics

Cabrera extended to 2022?

At 7 million per win (and that price will go up), he will be paid what he is worth. Just not as much of a bargain he has been on the 2008 deal. Also, he would have received a similar deal if he hit free agency. This also adds to the Tigers' franchise value.

Edited by cruzer1

Appx. $49,000 per at bat for the next decade.

EDIT: Makes you wonder. You know there are going to be years where they pay Cabrera 30 mil when he isn't the Cabrera of today. Now I wonder why they wouldn't give Max the 8 years he wanted. Seems like that would be less a risk than this contract.

Edited by Antrat

If things keep going like they are in MLB, slightly above average players will be getting paid $30 million a year in 2022.

With any luck I will be dead by 2022 so the unproductive years at the end will be your problem not mine.

Now that's the spirit.

Wonder how this is going to effect how Dan Gilbert runs the team.....

Is Derek Jeter is to the Yankers and Miguel Cabrera is to the Tigers

-------

Any rumor that Max Scherzer was seen packing his bags

I for one am thrilled that the Tigers traded Fielder so that this deal could be done.........I am not thrilled that the ticket prices to watch the Tigers will continue to escalate to levels that regular people can't afford to attend a game.

I for one am thrilled that the Tigers traded Fielder so that this deal could be done.........I am not thrilled that the ticket prices to watch the Tigers will continue to escalate to levels that regular people can't afford to attend a game.

Yawn

......Now I wonder why they wouldn't give Max the 8 years he wanted. Seems like that would be less a risk than this contract.

Power pitcher

One great year

He has a better chance of declining sooner than Cabrera

Cabrera can DH full time at some point decreasing the chance of breaking down

I don't disagree with the pundits that criticize the length of the deal and the amount of money that he is going to be making in his late 30s.

It's going to be very difficult for him to live up that contract near the end. There is a very real chance that his production could significantly decline in five years, not to mention seven or eight years down the line.

However, I don't agree with the criticism over the timing of the deal. Lots of commentary focuses on the two years he had left, and that this could have been done next year. While that may be true, I don't think the deal they could get next year would be any more favorable to the tigers than the one they just agreed to.

This year or next, Cabrera was going to get paid. I'm happy they made the deal. I don't really care that they paid a premium. He's a legend.

Not until we get the Deivi Cruz statue back for good.

That is still your best moment here ever and a top-ten all time MotownSports entry.

I do chuckle at the commentary about what mike trout will command after this deal.

Mike trout will get what a team is willing to pay, not what he deserves relative to Cabrera.

If this Cabrera contract is the insane overpay that everyone says it is, then it has little bearing on what trout will get.

All these executives that are furious over it are the same ones that would be lining up to offer 7 years and an AAV of 25 or more to Cabrera if he were to have hit free agency.

I was at the new place all day last night staining floors. I get home and put on one of the NCAA games..the Dayton/Stanford one...the wife says somoen on facebook said Miggy was getting 300 mil.

I felt happy when I heard it. I do not give a rats *** what happens in 2019 or 2020 or beyond. The best hitter in the game will continue to be the best or one of the best hitters in the game for at least 3 more years (guess). If he comes back down to earth after that and 'merely' has .295 25/110 slash line I will be fine with that for another 4 years or so and the last 3 years he could come off the bench for all I care. Dude is going to get that statue at CoPa and be a first ballot HOF and go down as one of the best hitters of the game. 30 years from now I will stand and applaud him when he throws out the first pitch to opening day every other year and think back on all these great memories he has already given us....with a great 4-5 years more left in him. Who knows what happens after that. Maybe he is a guy that stays healthy and consistent simply losing a little power. My son and daughter will now get to see him play in a Tiger uni and be old enough to recall the memories.

I do chuckle at the commentary about what mike trout will command after this deal.

Mike trout will get what a team is willing to pay, not what he deserves relative to Cabrera.

If this Cabrera contract is the insane overpay that everyone says it is, then it has little bearing on what trout will get.

All these executives that are furious over it are the same ones that would be lining up to offer 7 years and an AAV of 25 or more to Cabrera if he were to have hit free agency.

That's what I find amusing. Whenever a big contract like this is signed, you always read about the executives who say it is an overpay yet they keep handing out these contracts.

It's slightly offensive for the pundits to assume that the Tigers have no idea on the future value of contracts. They are not telling the Tigers anything they do not already know.

That is still your best moment here ever and a top-ten all time MotownSports entry.

I know, it's like Whoopi Goldberg's first role being The Color Purple. I'm never gonna top it.

It's slightly offensive for the pundits to assume that the Tigers have no idea on the future value of contracts. They are not telling the Tigers anything they do not already know.

Hearing commentary that this deal will cripple the franchise in 2020 (or whatever) seems a bit much, for sure.

It can have an effect, no doubt. But the effect should be limited to whatever the "overpay" is at the time, and that's tough to say. Let's say he is overpaid by 15 million. Is that crippling? I wouldn't say so.

I chuckle at your lack of understanding the sports ego and how agents work.

They absolutely point at other guys and say "he got this, he got that, I want more". They do it all the time. Do you think Trout is going to want to take less than Cabrera when at 20 he almost out-hit him? Give me a break. He's absolutely going to point at Cabrera and say that's the standard.

Even this week, right here we are hearing that Max Scherzer wants "Clayton Kershaw money". That's what everyone seems to be saying. Max might not say it, but do you really think that Scott Boras isn't holding up Kershaw's contract as the standard for what Max will get?

The narrative with Trout will be "I was up there with Cabrera when I was just 20 and I am just entering my prime". You bet his agent is gonna use Miggy as the standard, and if he didn't he should be fired. Not just that, but four years from now, Miggy's contract might not seem as insane.

It's totally about what other guys get. And yes, someone will be willing to pay it, even if it seems insane.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I don't care what any pundits say about the contract being too much. I don't care about it being too many years. I don't care about whether this contract could hamstring us a bit in the back end.

The value of Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers is far greater than his on field value. He is pacing to go down in history as one of the top few right handed hitters in the HISTORY of baseball, and when he's remembered for eternity he will always be remembered as a Tiger. He's a first ballot hall of famer, and he's going to be in the hall wearing a Tigers hat. We're going to build a statue in Center Field and I"m going to take my kids to games years and years for now and tell stories about how he was the greatest hitter I've ever seen and I had the pleasure of watching him hit for the Tigers. And then I'm going to the Verlander statue next to that one and tell them how awesome it was to have the greatest pitcher in baseball on the same team as the greatest hitter I've ever seen.

I've said all along that Verlander & Cabrera are the guys that you give whatever it takes to keep them here for the remainder of their careers, and I still feel that way. I'll gladly sacrifice 10-15 wins a year in 2020 (not that I think this signing actually DOES that) in order to keep players like this around. You cannot manage a team in a vacuum ONLY concerned with on field value here and in the future...at some point you maximize the value to the fans by keeping the guys they identify with around. Not to mention how much money Cabrera will be bringing in for Tigers ownership when he starts chasing 3000 hits and 500 HRs...milestones I fully expect him to achieve while wearing the Olde English D.

Not to mention I think Cabrera's skill level is so insanely high he'll remain VERY productive for most of the tenure of this deal. He's a classic superstar, and as even as the power numbers start to subside I think he'll continue getting on base, flipping liners all over the field, and driving in runs when given the opportunity.

I chuckle at your lack of understanding the sports ego and how agents work.

They absolutely point at other guys and say "he got this, he got that, I want more". They do it all the time. Do you think Trout is going to want to take less than Cabrera when at 20 he almost out-hit him? Give me a break. He's absolutely going to point at Cabrera and say that's the standard.

Even this week, right here we are hearing that Max Scherzer wants "Clayton Kershaw money". That's what everyone seems to be saying. Max might not say it, but do you really think that Scott Boras isn't holding up Kershaw's contract as the standard for what Max will get?

The narrative with Trout will be "I was up there with Cabrera when I was just 20 and I am just entering my prime". You bet his agent is gonna use Miggy as the standard, and if he didn't he should be fired. Not just that, but four years from now, Miggy's contract might not seem as insane.

It's totally about what other guys get. And yes, someone will be willing to pay it, even if it seems insane.

And I chuckle at your lack of reading comprehension. You are arguing against a point that Shelton wasn't making.

Appx. $49,000 per at bat for the next decade.

EDIT: Makes you wonder. You know there are going to be years where they pay Cabrera 30 mil when he isn't the Cabrera of today. Now I wonder why they wouldn't give Max the 8 years he wanted. Seems like that would be less a risk than this contract.

It does?

$15 million to $30 million over six seasons implies a 12.5% inflation rate per annum. How much QE would the Fed need to get that kind of inflation into the system? hmmmmm.

If anyone can do it it's Janet Yellen.

I can't get the Albert Pujols deal out of my mind with this contract. You know how discontent Angles fans are about that deal. Yeah, I don't want that to be us in 2-3 years.