Sign in to follow this  
A.J.K.

Whitecaps opener, April 8

Looks like I'll be there. Anyone else going?

Any good prospects on the team I should look out for?

It was a good game.

The Whitecaps' closer, Montreal Robertson (I assume he's the closer since they brought him in in the 9th with a 2-run lead) almost blew it, loading the bases with one out then walking in a run, but got out of it. He was throwing heat, got up to 98 on one pitch if the stadium gun is to be believed, and 97 multiple times, but he was a bit wild and I believe only threw one off-speed pitch the entire inning (which got him an easy comebacker to the mound for a force at home). Ben Verlander had 2 RBI's.

Just saw he had something like 40 walks in 80 innings last year. Ouch. Live arm though.

Did you try any of the "fun foods" they make?

No, I just had a loaded brat and part of my dad's pulled pork sandwich. I saw a few people in the stands with the Fifth Third Burger.

I did enjoy the experience, it was a bit crowded with long lines everywhere, but hey, it was opening day and they moved fairly fast.

I was there and thought it looked real good. It was clear 'something' was going on because a couple of the concession stands weren't open on the 1B side, and some of the access doors were blocked with fences, but most of the stuff one could see on the outside looked just as it always did.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the concrete on the concourse-- on the 1B side you could see faint evidence of the fire and the ensuing construction. It was clear they've done work to clean it up, but there were some spots that seemed like they had to be scorch marks.

Nice speech given by Lew Chamberlain and Denny Baxter prior to the start of the game. And in a nod to the fans, rather than having a kid yelling "Play ball" to start things off (as is the case at all other games) they encouraged the crowd to do it.

Nice speech given by Lew Chamberlain and Denny Baxter prior to the start of the game. And in a nod to the fans, rather than having a kid yelling "Play ball" to start things off (as is the case at all other games) they encouraged the crowd to do it.

I have had the pleasure to meet Lew most springs when he ventures south for ST. I know his priority this year was inside the park with construction and missed talking with him. I think the fans yelling "Play Ball" is a nice occasional idea.

It was pretty cool, got goosebumps when it happened. This was the largest opening day crowd I can think of out of the six or seven I've been to. Not that the others were small, but this one was just bigger.