KleShreen

Tigers Sign J.D. Martinez

You know...JD is on a very good hot streak right now. So instead of you bumping this thread with a simple "bump", you have to quote my post. Which, BTW was light hearted and not nearly as negative as some of the other posts. And also, several times during game threads I said I wish they would use Martinez more, just so we can see what he can do. But apparently you didn't see those posts.

But you had to go and spotlight my post with your "bump". Maybe because I was not on Delmon's jock? I don't know.

But I do know you love to hold grudges like a mofo. You need to get over stuff. If not, then good riddance if you want to leave the forum.

And I hope JD hits .400 with 35 bombs for the rest of the year. I really do. This team needs another hitter or two very badly.

But I promise you...when he most likely turns back into the pumpkin that Houston said wasn't good enough for their last place team, I will not bump this thread.

Really.

I don't have great expectations, but Martinez's track record suggests he could blossom into something decent. He's not like Tuiasosopo who never had any sustained success in the minors.

Beaten to the comparison already, but he does remind me of Marcus Thames or Craig Monroe in his good year. Except Rod doesn't hang out with him at the batting cages.

Beaten to the comparison already, but he does remind me of Marcus Thames or Craig Monroe in his good year. Except Rod doesn't hang out with him at the batting cages.

Rod probably doesn't want to interrupt the rice and beans spread that he thinks Martinez is enjoying.

So, when Dirks is ready, how do you handle the roster? Torii Hunter may be the weakest link in the outfield, but I don't see them releasing him. Kelly? Romine? I don't think they can keep 5 outfielders.

I like the Monroe comparison a bit more at this point. Both are fly ball hitters with sub-par plate discipline, but will probably slug enough to be valuable hitters--without being superstars. Thames was a little more extreme in this regard than Monroe or what I think Martinez may end up looking like. Also, both Thames and Monroe showed promise in the minors of having a decent walk rate...and for whatever reason, that never translated into MLB performance.

So, when Dirks is ready, how do you handle the roster? Torii Hunter may be the weakest link in the outfield, but I don't see them releasing him. Kelly? Romine? I don't think they can keep 5 outfielders.

That will be interesting, won't it? I was half considering a three for two positions type of platoon among Davis, Martinez, and Hunter while Martinez is on a hot streak. Completely forgot about Dirks in that mix.

If they release Romine, there would be no one to back up the middle of the infield. It will depend on when Dirks is ready. If Martinez is still playing well, I would imagine Kelly would be designated.

I think Marcus Thames was a better player than he often got credit for.

I wonder if he was underrated because he was not really a starter and he was not very athletic?

As for being a starter, I would guess less hard core fans don't consider platoon or bench types to be good players. Perhaps not good enough to start, but obviously they can still be valuable in certain roles. That might be missed upon some folks.

As for athleticism, I think some people still place a little value on a player based on eye test. Being agile and adroit in the field can help that perception. Thames was a little more of a lumbering guy with not much speed.

Just guesses on my part.

If they release Romine, there would be no one to back up the middle of the infield. It will depend on when Dirks is ready. If Martinez is still playing well, I would imagine Kelly would be designated.

Agreed. Romine is probably protected pretty well as the backup middle infielder. I like Martinez' streak right now, but let's see if it is sustainable.

They can trade Hunter to a team looking for a veteran presence for the second half.

They can trade Hunter to a team looking for a veteran presence for the second half.

We all hope so.

Kansas City?

I wonder if he was underrated because he was not really a starter and he was not very athletic?

Nah..Marcus wasn't underrated. He could bomb against LHP but didn't hit righthanders and couldn't field, run, or catch well. That is basically a 2 tool player on the low AB end of a platoon. We got as much out of him as he had to give. He was great human interest story though - great guy who handled a family burden. Apparently he did start out as an athlete but had given it up to bulk up and hit HRs by the time we got him.

JD came out of a DivII school, tore up the low minors but hit the wall when Houston brought him up in 2012, though he broke his hand before he could get in a full season. In '13 he sprained a knee early in the season, then injured his hand again in Aug and was out a month came back in Sept but didn't do anything.

So he could be a guy who just hasn't had enough healthy ML ABs to have hit his stride. Maybe.

He's gonna get a good look from now until Dirks comes back, so it's up to him to do something with it.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Nah..Marcus wasn't underrated. He could bomb against LHP but didn't hit righthanders and couldn't field, run, or catch well. That is basically a 2 tool player on the low AB end of a platoon. We got as much out of him as he had to give. He was great human interest story though - great guy who handled a family burden. Apparently he did start out as an athlete but had given it up to bulk up and hit HRs by the time we got him.

I think his playing time was correct for the reasons you mention. Just maybe underrated for his contributions.

I forgot about the human interest side to him. So thanks for bringing that up.

That one is going to be interesting. You know they don't want to cut Kelly. Managers love having at least one guy who can go IF<->OF. He is also the backup 1b when Victor in already in the game at DH. (Assuming Castellanos is still in the plans next season, they can work him out at 1b in Spring Training as a backup, but that doesn't help them now).

Best solution is move Torii, but if he starts hitting you don't want to and if he doesn't you can't :mad:

Best solution is move Torii, but if he starts hitting you don't want to and if he doesn't you can't :mad:

The way things have turned out, maybe going after Torii wasn't such a good idea.

Hard to imagine Torii fetching anything of value at this point, so the only hope is that he finds just enough in the tank to make him a plus player for at least the 2nd half of the season. I'm not too optimistic but I don't really see an alternative.