KleShreen

Tigers Sign J.D. Martinez

Tigers Sign J.D. Martinez: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

I'm actually a big fan of this move. Guy raked in the minors prior to being called up in 2011, where I think he may have been thrown in to the fire a little early. He's a very intriguing guy to me. If he were a lefty, I would anticipate him getting a lot of run in LF but he's not, so I'm not sure what to expect. I feel like he's a low-risk, high-reward guy and has a lot of breakout potential.

[/optimism]

Huzzah for optimism. I was kind of hoping DD would take a flier on him when I saw that he had been released. He gives the team a bit of an insurance plan in case Rajai or Hunter get hurt.

Huzzah for optimism. I was kind of hoping DD would take a flier on him when I saw that he had been released. He gives the team a bit of an insurance plan in case Rajai or Hunter get hurt.

OK. Trying to fix this off season. Good Move.

You know....before this move, I was worried about the off-season.

Now I want to know when playoff tickets go on sale.

Solid move. Low risk, high reward. Was great a few years ago in the minors and just about to enter his prime. OK insurance policy.

There are two trees just to the left-center field side of the batter's eye at Nelson Wolff Stadium in San Antonio, a notorious pitchers park due to southerly winds and high humidity.

Last year, while on a rehab assignment, JD hit a ball that cleared the tree on the right.

He also struck out three times, so there's that.

622x350.jpg

Solid move. Low risk, high reward. Was great a few years ago in the minors and just about to enter his prime. OK insurance policy.

I'm really excited for the high reward.

You know....before this move, I was worried about the off-season.

Now I want to know when playoff tickets go on sale.

Bump.

I'm really excited for the high reward.

I'll take a .912 OPS over 100 AB's.

JD's walk rate still raises serious concerns, but I'll enjoy this hot streak while it lasts.

At age 26 I wonder if JD is a late bloomer and we may have really found something with him. He appears to have changed his swing/approach, so maybe we could've found a quality piece to our club.

I kind of did a double-take when I looked at his stats in the minors. It appears he really looked like he could be a star at one point. Then he just floundered/was injured when he was called up.

Houston's not the kind of team that should just be dropping players like him. I don't know that I have hopes of him becoming anything more than a decent fourth outfielder, but there is an argument to be made that he has a higher ceiling than that.

At age 26 I wonder if JD is a late bloomer and we may have really found something with him. He appears to have changed his swing/approach, so maybe we could've found a quality piece to our club.

The A's and the Blue Jays have done a really great job at finding some incredibly valuable pieces this way. A lot of people give up on guys after they turn 25, but Bautista, Encarnacion, and Moss are some of the best hitters in the AL right now.

I'm not saying JD is of this caliber, but sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough this way. Still, JD needs to learn how to take more walks, otherwise his success will be rather short-lived.

I don't have great expectations, but Martinez's track record suggests he could blossom into something decent. He's not like Tuiasosopo who never had any sustained success in the minors.

At worst, JD could be the new Marcus Thames.

That's probably a somewhat decent comp right now. But his track record in the minors suggests that at one point, he also had good BB and K rates. That never translated into a good rate in the majors...yet. But if it does, we could have a solid, first-division starter on our hands. Not sure why he's had such trouble adjusting to MLB pitching. And even though he was hitting a lot of HRs in Toledo this year, his walk rate was still terrible (as it is in the majors right now).