Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

The reason for a basketball player to stay in school is most definitely not for his degree.

Is it to provide free labor so the NCAA can continue to collect billions of dollars?

Is it to provide free labor so the NCAA can continue to collect billions of dollars?

its to become more mature in an environment that coddles them, gives them special perks, and doesnt hold them to the standards/expectations as their peers!

Mcgrady was a beast in his prime, and pretty underrated imo. He gets a ton of flack for his first round exits but what was he supposed to do? It wasn't like he choked in the playoffs, during his prime years in the playoffs he averaged over 30 a game to go along with over 6 boards and 6 assists. His shooting percentage wasn't the greatest but it was still about .450 so it wasn't like it was terrible. So he averaged 30/6/6 with a respectable shooting percentage in the playoffs yet he still gets flack about it. What more could he have done?

Mcgrady was a beast in his prime, and pretty underrated imo. He gets a ton of flack for his first round exits but what was he supposed to do? It wasn't like he choked in the playoffs, during his prime years in the playoffs he averaged over 30 a game to go along with over 6 boards and 6 assists. His shooting percentage wasn't the greatest but it was still about .450 so it wasn't like it was terrible. So he averaged 30/6/6 with a respectable shooting percentage in the playoffs yet he still gets flack about it. What more could he have done?
He could have made his teammates better, which is the mark of what a great player does

He could have made his teammates better, which is the mark of what a great player does

I thought he did.

That is absolutely true. I'm not a huge fan of the college set up in general, but I generally believe that athletes need to be groomed and developed in a lower league, in order to master the nuances and often to get sufficient minutes, at bats, ice time, snaps etc.

One and dones usually end up becoming the equivalent of that pitcher who throws 95 but never added a 3rd pitch, or the big swining power hitter who can't hit a curve ball.

I dont think its the responsibility of the nba to protect adults in college from making bad choices. Now if there's an angle for them thay is of benefit then sure.... but that is a business decision. I dont see any moral imperative though.

I disagree that the players in college are free labor. They're getting full scholarships to very good schools. I would have loved a free ride at a school like Michigan or Northwestern. Average tuition plus room and board for one of these schools is what, at least $30,000? There's your salary right there.

That is absolutely true. I'm not a huge fan of the college set up in general, but I generally believe that athletes need to be groomed and developed in a lower league, in order to master the nuances and often to get sufficient minutes, at bats, ice time, snaps etc.

One and dones usually end up becoming the equivalent of that pitcher who throws 95 but never added a 3rd pitch, or the big swining power hitter who can't hit a curve ball.

I'm old enough to remember when kids stayed in school. Back then you had the exact same questions/problems as you do now. The same questions about maturity. The same questions about development or lack of development. The same bust potential. Etc. etc.

I disagree that the players in college are free labor. They're getting full scholarships to very good schools. I would have loved a free ride at a school like Michigan or Northwestern. Average tuition plus room and board for one of these schools is what, at least $30,000? There's your salary right there.

That is like saying kids in sweat shops are being paid fair wages.

In the very least players should be able to make money for themselves. If a college freshman is all the rave and nike wants to give him a million bucks he should be able to.

In the very least players should be able to make money for themselves. If a college freshman is all the rave and nike wants to give him a million bucks he should be able to.

Because voluntarily accepting a scholarship at some of the best schools in the country is the same as working in a sweatshop. I'm sure those athletes have it so rough on campus too.

Because voluntarily accepting a scholarship at some of the best schools in the country is the same as working in a sweatshop. I'm sure those athletes have it so rough on campus too.

What they are voluntarily doing is giving away the opportunity to earn lots of money immediately, the ones who can anyway.

I don't think the NCAA should provide added benefits, I am just saying their shouldn't be any limitations on earning potential while in school.

What they are voluntarily doing is giving away the opportunity to earn lots of money immediately, the ones who can anyway.

I don't think the NCAA should provide added benefits, I am just saying their shouldn't be any limitations on earning potential while in school.

If they feel they can make all this money without going to school, then by all means don't accept the scholarship. The point I was arguing was that it is not free labor. They are getting compensated with $30,000 a year scholarships and national exposure.

If they feel they can make all this money without going to school, then by all means don't accept the scholarship. The point I was arguing was that it is not free labor. They are getting compensated with $30,000 a year scholarships and national exposure.

I don't really feel like it much compensation at all to be honest with you. For top tier athletes it is nothing. Equity doesn't need to exist.

just get rid of the ridiculous idea of "amateurism" and let them take endorsement money while in school.

I don't really feel like it much compensation at all to be honest with you. For top tier athletes it is nothing. Equity doesn't need to exist.

Most of these kids come from poverty and inner cities. They can't afford college. They're getting a free ride in exchange for playing basketball. A lot of kids would welcome the opportunity for a free college education.

Most of these kids come from poverty and inner cities. They can't afford college. They're getting a free ride in exchange for playing basketball. A lot of kids would welcome the opportunity for a free college education.

Yeah but how many really care? Its value to someone else. For a lot of athletes its as beneficial as a gay man living in the playboy mansion.

Yeah but how many really care? Its value to someone else. For a lot of athletes its as beneficial as a gay man living in the playboy mansion.

Then don't accept the scholarship. It also provides them a national stage and on the job training. Most athletes don't make it to the pros anyways.

I think the counter-points are:

a. The value of the scholarship is much less than the value the elite athletes provide the university,

b. as a practical matter the system largely forces an athlete to go to college if they have aspirations of playing in the NBA and NFL, so they don't have that much choice in it, and

c. the fact most would be happy with a compensation is not the gauge by which we judge whether compensation is fair, especially when the ones sitting in judgement, by and large, aren't the ones in a position of being impacted by it.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

just get rid of the ridiculous idea of "amateurism" and let them take endorsement money while in school.

This really is the key, and I think you would see a lot better product in both college and the pros because of this. Kids with potential can still get paid and decide when to leave based on their skill, not money.

This really is the key, and I think you would see a lot better product in both college and the pros because of this. Kids with potential can still get paid and decide when to leave based on their skill, not money.

I agree.

I think the counter-points are:

a. The value of the scholarship is much less than the value the athletes provide the university,

b. as a practical matter the system largely forces an athlete to go to college if they have aspirations of playing in the NBA and NFL, so they don't have that much choice in it.

c. I'd guess most would welcome the opportunity to make $200,000 a year. That doesn't make it a good argument to say the maximum any one person should earn is $200,000. The fact most would be happy with a compensation is not the gauge by which we judge whether the compensation is fair, especially when most aren't in the position of being impacted by it.

Most employers require a degree that forces people to go to college. A doctor or a lawyer can't work in a hospital or law firm without going to school. Who is stopping them from making $200,000 a year? If that offer is on the table, then leave school and take the offer if that is what you want.

I agree.

I wonder if they ever did go the direction of "letting the players get on an open market" if they would reinstate the two Michigan final four banners, or Reggie Bush's Heisman.