Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

Seriously, look at this crap show of a draft, what were they thinking saying this was the best since 2003:

Doug Mcdermott #9

Gary Harris #10

Tyler Ennis #11

Dario Saric #12

Nik Stauskas 13

"D League Call up" PJ Hairston #16

Cleanthony Early #18

KJ McDaniels #22

Elfrid Payton #23

TJ "Jordan Hamilton" Warren #24

Just filled with "special prospects". Looks just like an average draft, minus a game changer (Anthony Davis, John Wall) and has 6-7 guys who could end up All-Stars. The no name guys like Payton and the Euro's (Capella, Saric) excite me more than the College guys, but that is only because I know the College guys aren't special already, and I simply don't know whether the no namers are or not.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Seriously, look at this crap show of a draft, what were they thinking saying this was the best since 2003:

Doug Mcdermott #9

Gary Harris #10

Tyler Ennis #11

Dario Saric #12

Nik Stauskas 13

"D League Call up" PJ Hairston #16

Cleanthony Early #18

KJ McDaniels #22

Elfrid Payton #23

TJ "Jordan Hamilton" Warren #24

Just filled with "special prospects". Looks just like an average draft, minus a game changer (Anthony Davis, John Wall) and has 6-7 guys who could end up All-Stars. The no name guys like Payton and the Euro's (Capella, Saric) excite me more than the College guys, but that is only because I know the College guys aren't special already, and I simply don't know whether the no namers are or not.

Ford and the other drivers of the NBA Draft hype machine have shoved this crop down everyone's throat, but you are right--it is just another batch of uprepared, underdeveloped and underaged toddlers who are about as easy to project as April weather in Mt. Pleasant.

I usually defend Chad Ford, but he has been so abysmal this draft cycle, he is looking for the wrong things and has refused to let go of his biases. He was guilty of propping this draft up a year ago well beyond what it became and won't let his ego take a hit and admit that it is just another draft, better than last year, but doesn't have a prospect as a good as Anthony Davis or John Wall. And those drafts were considered weak at the time. I mean for a draft that is just soooo good and soooo deep, even Ford has such juggernaut prospects as a Doug McDermott, Gary Harris and Tyler Ennis as top 10 guys. Yeah, hilarious overpimping going on. Pretty sure last year had the same prospects at 9-12. KCP is similar to Harris and Ennis is probably a poor man's Trey Burke. And Doug McDermott? I loved him on "the Practice" 14 years ago, good to see him give the NBA a try.

He jumped the gun on Embiid and still tries to act like he could go #1. No chance Chad, stop talking about it.

He has been on Wiggins as the next Tracy McGrady except with winning intangibles for over a year and is failing to see that Parker has eclipsed him in the last year. Also failing to note that Wiggins isn't all that great at this stage in the game, Ie, he probably will never be the "best since Lebron", and though he has a high ceiling, he also has a relatively low floor. He could end up as the 4th best starter on a good team, a real Tayshaun Brewer.

And Marcus Smart, way too late on the Marcus Smart actually sucks as an All-Star level prospect and is probably a Stuckey or Tyreke on offense while being a decent defender. Put Parker #1 you jerk. It's time. What's that? You can't do that because you jumped the gun putting Wiggins ahead of him, pimped him way too much and now would have to admit you messed up?

Eh, I think almost all of this is off base or at least too harsh. Embiid definitely has a chance to go #1. He's a ridiculoulsy talented pure center. Size always gets overdrafted and in this case, you can argue its not even overdrafting. The top 3 are in a near dead heat in the race for #1 right now, with Parker having a slight lead.

I think Wiggins has a higher floor than the guys you mentioned. Lets just say nobody was asking Brewer to be a go to guy as a freshman. Also, it might be worth looking back at what a guy like Mcgrady was as an 18,19 and 20 year old. People are too impatient these days. I think its still pretty likely that Wiggins develops into a star. He's not going to be Lebron, but he has a very good chance to be a Mcgrady or Paul George. Parker had a very nice year, but he also got subbed out defensively in his last game because he's so horrible there and he had trouble staying in shape. Those aren't things you love seeing in a #1 pick candidate. This year though, they all have warts.

In terms of the depth, I tend to agree more. Its definitely deeper than last year 8-28 IMO, but last year was historically bad. I'm curious to see who all declares and how the athletic testing goes.

Nah, Ford has been annoyingly biased this cycle. Even Ford admits that Parker is #1 in amongst actual NBA scouts. Wiggins could be McGrady as I mentioned, but he has a lower floor than people realize. He obviously won't be exactly like Corey Brewer but he could end up as that kind of role player+ guy who starts but isn't doing a lot of the heavy lifting. High Celing, not a high floor guy. And the Embiid train has passed as far as #1 goes. I promise :>). That is assuming that Embiid ever had any #1 buzz amongst anybody other than Mock draft guys.

BTW, interesting info from the ESPN guys (including Ford) on Randle, eye opening because I thought Zach Randolph was a lower end comparison, they see Randolph as a best case scenario almost, because Randolph has much more length:

NBA draft - Examining Julius Randle's draft stock, pro future - ESPN

He doesn't have the greatest length, with a misleading wingspan of 6-foot-11 for his 6-9 height (misleading because at 8-9.5 feet, his standing reach is roughly the same as Andre Iguodala's, who's a 6-6 wing), but has a soft touch around the paint and manages to find a way to finish. Also, he has quick feet and likes to face up and attack off the dribble, and can either go around slower defenders or overwhelm and go through smaller ones. Despite this preference to play facing the basket, he struggles offensively outside the paint and has limited range on his jumper. He doesn't roll hard on pick-and-rolls, opting for pops or shallow rolls and then attacking off the dribble.

Randle is a tremendous defensive rebounder, corralling nearly a quarter of all opponent misses when he's on the floor. Plus, he has good lateral mobility which allows him to hold his own keeping guys in front of him, though he can struggle with any sort of complexity in opponent offenses (a great example would be the number of breakdowns switching on picks in the national title game). Also, he has a bad habit of ball-watching when guarding out in space, and can lose his man as a result.

Many have compared Randle to Zach Randolph because of the size similarity, left-handedness and aggression on the offensive boards and around the rim, but I don't like it for several reasons: Randolph has extraordinarily long arms, and a soft touch that extended well beyond Randle's range even at the same stage in his career. I see Randle's comparable a lot closer to Corliss Williamson, as an undersized, power big who can put the ball on the floor and attack.

More at the link, it's Insider though

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

I still like Randle enough though, I think his strength, motor and quicks will get him a lot of buckets in the NBA. Also should be a good, maybe dominant defensive rebounder. If he was there at 8, I would take him. And now his draft range according to the article is no longer top 3 and is "4-8".

I think you're sleeping on Wiggins and Embiid. The same article where its said that Parker is the favorite among GMs to go #1 has Embiid as the #2 vote getter with Wiggins 3rd. Embiid would probably be the slam dunk #1 without any injury history. The question now becomes whether his particular injuries are enough to stop a team from taking him. Team need will be a factor too, as well as where they are in the building process. Utah obviously takes Parker too, so that has to be mentioned. I think teams like Philly and Milwaukee take Wiggins and exercise patience with his development. If someone feels like a scorer could put them over the top, it might be Parker.

I generally disagree with your low floor assessment of Wiggins. At worst he's a special defender and transition player who can hit spot up 3s. At the level he'll be doing it, that's a near max player still IMO. I think his floor is something like a Josh Smith with a better head on his shoulders. Different player, but about that caliber and level of athleticism and defense. Parker's floor OTOH is probably a Rudy Gay who is kind of an empty points scorer and doesn't defend much. I worry about his mental makeup a little more than I do with Wiggins.

I still like Randle enough though, I think his strength, motor and quicks will get him a lot of buckets in the NBA. Also should be a good, maybe dominant defensive rebounder. If he was there at 8, I would take him. And now his draft range according to the article is no longer top 3 and is "4-8".

I like Randle a lot. i don't know if he's exactly the same as Randolph, but I think he'll put up 18 and 9 or so for a long time. Lets draft him and trade Smith and Monroe!

Nastra, I wish I could love everyone as much as you do. You are a lover, not a hater.

Lol, ain't that the true. I'm not necessarily talking about my opinion on all of these guys though. With Embiid, I'm trying to get more into what the perception nationally seems to be. I wouldn't be able to take him #1, but there's no doubt he has the talent of a #1 pick and he is in the conversation. He might be the next Darko or the next Oden, but talented bigs go high in the draft.

For Randle, his style of game isn't my favorite, as I question his defensive potential. At the same time though, after pick 3 or so in a given draft, you have to really be looking at who can produce in the league for you. Randle is going to produce on some level, whether its a Carl Landry type or a Zach Randolph type.

I'm a huge Exum guy and I like Mcdermott more than most. I'm a little leery on Parker, but view him as an easy top 3-4 pick at the same time. Not a fan of Ennis or Gordon really. Unsure on guys like Smart,Vonleh and Harris as of now.

Edited by Nastradamus

Also, it might be worth looking back at what a guy like Mcgrady was as an 18,19 and 20 year old. People are too impatient these days. I think its still pretty likely that Wiggins develops into a star. He's not going to be Lebron, but he has a very good chance to be a Mcgrady or Paul George. .

In his prime, McGrady was in the discussion for best player in the league during the same time when Kobe was entering his prime--a few years before LBJ was in his. While Paul George is a really great talent, he's just not at the level McGrady was when he was in Orlando or even for a few years in Houston.

Wiggins is a very good individual talent, and perhaps a Paul George comparison is fair--but T-Mac was really special. We're not just talking about a guy who won back-to-back scoring titles, but a guy who filled up the entire stat sheet. Not many swingmen average a 2:1 A/TO for an entire career.

At the age of 20, T-Mac had a season that merited a max contract as a *part-time* starter. 1.9 BLK from the SF position in 31 MIN is better than most centers in the L can do, T-Mac did it at 20.

Perhaps the way T-Mac bounced around at the end has tarnished his legacy as a supreme talent, as did his team's inability to win in the playoffs (at that, his playoff numbers are excellent, even with his SAS and ATL years bringing down his averages). Or perhaps I am sleeping on Wiggins as a facilitator and the (weak) competition he put his numbers up against.

In his prime, McGrady was in the discussion for best player in the league during the same time when Kobe was entering his prime--a few years before LBJ was in his. While Paul George is a really great talent, he's just not at the level McGrady was when he was in Orlando or even for a few years in Houston.

Wiggins is a very good individual talent, and perhaps a Paul George comparison is fair--but T-Mac was really special. We're not just talking about a guy who won back-to-back scoring titles, but a guy who filled up the entire stat sheet. Not many swingmen average a 2:1 A/TO for an entire career..........

If I remember correctly, TMac was the clown that said something like see you in the next round when they led the Pistons in a best of 7 series 3 games to 1. They went on to lose the series 4 games to 3 to the Pistons.

Wiggins is a very good individual talent, and perhaps a Paul George comparison is fair--but T-Mac was really special. We're not just talking about a guy who won back-to-back scoring titles, but a guy who filled up the entire stat sheet. Not many swingmen average a 2:1 A/TO for an entire career.

At the age of 20, T-Mac had a season that merited a max contract as a *part-time* starter. 1.9 BLK from the SF position in 31 MIN is better than most centers in the L can do, T-Mac did it at 20.

Perhaps the way T-Mac bounced around at the end has tarnished his legacy as a supreme talent, as did his team's inability to win in the playoffs (at that, his playoff numbers are excellent, even with his SAS and ATL years bringing down his averages). Or perhaps I am sleeping on Wiggins as a facilitator and the (weak) competition he put his numbers up against.

TMac and his cousin Vince are great players.....until the heat is on. And then they curl up and cry. Through three quarters they might be two of the best basketball players in the history of the NBA.

Count me on the Randle bandwagon but I think it is unlikely he falls to us.

I have a good feeling about the lottery. So we will have our choice of players. I hear there is this Serbian kid. Haven't seen him play at all, but I did see one workout and he looked fantastic...

I have a good feeling about the lottery. So we will have our choice of players. I hear there is this Serbian kid. Haven't seen him play at all, but I did see one workout and he looked fantastic...

Haha, the way the Pistons luck has been, I wouldn't doubt they lose the pick in the lottery, although that may not be a bad thing (giving 8 up this year).

My understanding of the CBA tells me we can't trade this years pick either. Because we lose next years pick and you can't trade firsts in consecutive years. Is this right?

If so, once again, let's hope we lose this stupid pick anyway.

My understanding of the CBA tells me we can't trade this years pick either. Because we lose next years pick and you can't trade firsts in consecutive years. Is this right?

If so, once again, let's hope we lose this stupid pick anyway.

Technically this is correct, they can't trade the pick. But as soon as they draft someone he can be traded. So the team on the other end of the trade could just direct Detroit to pick the player they want.

If I remember correctly, TMac was the clown that said something like see you in the next round when they led the Pistons in a best of 7 series 3 games to 1. They went on to lose the series 4 games to 3 to the Pistons.

TMac put up big numbers against the Pistons that series, if you want to remember it correctly.

TMac and his cousin Vince are great players.....until the heat is on. And then they curl up and cry. Through three quarters they might be two of the best basketball players in the history of the NBA.

If they would have stayed together the Raptors would be flying one or more Championship banners, but TMac joined Hill--but Hill's ankle didn't cooperate. When the best Orlando could do is pair him with Mike Miller due to Hill's contract it was a franchise killer. His prime was all but wasted.

TMac put up big numbers against the Pistons that series, if you want to remember it correctly.

He did, but they lost the series after he claimed it was over.

McGary heading to the NBA after being banned by NCAA

Mitch McGary took a deep breath. He wanted to tell the story of why he smoked marijuana one night in March, why the NCAA suspended him for a year because of it and why the confluence of those events is helping lead him to declare for June's NBA draft. It wasn't easy, so he started at the beginning.......

He did, but they lost the series after he claimed it was over.

McGary heading to the NBA after being banned by NCAA

Claiming a series is over and emitting a Fruedian slip are two different things. Sure, it was a bonehead thing to say on camera but it wasn't like T-Mac was taunting--not really that kind of personality.

But hey, if you think it is OK to compare Wiggins to T-Mac because you think T-Mac is a lesser player than the stats indicate, and beca use the Pistons beat his crappy team lead in 2003--you certainly have every right to. BTW, Mike Miller, Gordon Giricek and Pat Garrity--who have zero AS appearances between them--were the 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading scorers on that team. McGrady lead the team in total rebounds, a 33-year old/300 lb Shawn Kemp was second. McGrady also lead the team in assists and blocks, 2nd in steals. That was a bad basketball team that depended on TMac to do everything. LBJ's Cavs teams were awesome compared to that one.

Lets discuss T-Mac and his performances in the second round of the playoffs.

OK, talk over! Thanks for participating everyone.