Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

Tuesday is the deadline to withdraw from the draft if you want to go back to school.

April 27th is the last day to declare for the draft.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/455764425803567104

A report from @JakeLFischer says that Michigan’s Glenn Robinson III is entering the NBA Draft, and I don’t doubt that he’s right. But …
… sources told @CBSSports that Robinson hasn’t informed the Michigan staff of his intentions yet. Supposed to meet this week, I’m told.

Gary Harris would be a great get but I would be leery to draft him with KCP here and needing minutes to develop next year.

Maybe I am wrong, but that seems like a lot for 60 draft slots. It certainly is their right to declare, those are the rules. I just wonder how many of these guys will fall off of the map. There's Europe, sure.

The developmental league seems to becoming a bit more like minor league baseball, and there are lots of baseball players that are out of high school. But are the two sports comparable in that regard?

Maybe I am wrong, but that seems like a lot for 60 draft slots. It certainly is their right to declare, those are the rules. I just wonder how many of these guys will fall off of the map. There's Europe, sure.

The developmental league seems to becoming a bit more like minor league baseball, and there are lots of baseball players that are out of high school. But are the two sports comparable in that regard?

I bet 50-70% of them don't even get drafted. But I'm guessing a lot of those guys are A) Never going to be in the NBA anyway and B) Could care less about getting a degree.

The D-League has a long ways to go before resembling anything like baseballs minor leagues. But I do think it is moving in that direction.

If you can go to Europe/Asia and play for 10-12 years and make $100K a year, thats not so bad. You could even continue your education in the summer if you wanted.

I guess I wonder what kind of advice these kids are getting and whether or not it is fair to them. Yes, they are adults and should make their own decisions. I guess I just wonder about the process of it.

I guess I wonder what kind of advice these kids are getting and whether or not it is fair to them. Yes, they are adults and should make their own decisions. I guess I just wonder about the process of it.

College isn't for everyone.

Also, a good 8-10 of those listed are foreign players. They have probably been playing pro ball since they were 18 or even younger.

He lost $3 million in order to go back and not go to class for a year. I think his middle name is "ain't."

Your supposition is that he didn't improve this year in college, and is not better prepared for success in the NBA. There is a reason Baseball has a minor league system, similar to what college basketball is. Some players who come out early never get the chance to improve their weaknesses and end up as Jennings or Smith's, players with great physical talent but no game smarts. There is a benefit to staying in college for some players that does pay off in future contracts.

Your supposition is that he didn't improve this year in college, and is not better prepared for success in the NBA. There is a reason Baseball has a minor league system, similar to what college basketball is. Some players who come out early never get the chance to improve their weaknesses and end up as Jennings or Smith's, players with great physical talent but no game smarts. There is a benefit to staying in college for some players that does pay off in future contracts.

Staying ONE year for Marcus Smart paid off in what way?

In no way. It only cost him one year of making $3 million. You guys glorify the college experience for a future NBA draft pick like it's some sort of holy grail of maturity and basketball ability. It's not. College basketball is a poor game that is poorly officiated and does not represent much of a training ground for the NBA.

Smart will be picked around the same place he would have been picked last year. He cost himself $3 million and cost himself a year until he makes his second contract. College is great for some people and useful for almost all of us.

But all of us aren't NBA talented players.

Sounds like their is a little bit of a top 8 emerging right now...Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, Gordon, Randle, Smart, and Vonleh. I doubt it holds but if this is the consensus among scouts come June, we just take whichever one is left I guess.

I usually defend Chad Ford, but he has been so abysmal this draft cycle, he is looking for the wrong things and has refused to let go of his biases. He was guilty of propping this draft up a year ago well beyond what it became and won't let his ego take a hit and admit that it is just another draft, better than last year, but doesn't have a prospect as a good as Anthony Davis or John Wall. And those drafts were considered weak at the time. I mean for a draft that is just soooo good and soooo deep, even Ford has such juggernaut prospects as a Doug McDermott, Gary Harris and Tyler Ennis as top 10 guys. Yeah, hilarious overpimping going on. Pretty sure last year had the same prospects at 9-12. KCP is similar to Harris and Ennis is probably a poor man's Trey Burke. And Doug McDermott? I loved him on "the Practice" 14 years ago, good to see him give the NBA a try.

He jumped the gun on Embiid and still tries to act like he could go #1. No chance Chad, stop talking about it.

He has been on Wiggins as the next Tracy McGrady except with winning intangibles for over a year and is failing to see that Parker has eclipsed him in the last year. Also failing to note that Wiggins isn't all that great at this stage in the game, Ie, he probably will never be the "best since Lebron", and though he has a high ceiling, he also has a relatively low floor. He could end up as the 4th best starter on a good team, a real Tayshaun Brewer.

And Marcus Smart, way too late on the Marcus Smart actually sucks as an All-Star level prospect and is probably a Stuckey or Tyreke on offense while being a decent defender. Put Parker #1 you jerk. It's time. What's that? You can't do that because you jumped the gun putting Wiggins ahead of him, pimped him way too much and now would have to admit you messed up?

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper