Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

True, but you also have to factor in that we have a better shot at moving up than everyone behind us.

The group behind us has a better shot. Not as individuals, but as a group they do. We have 28 ping pong balls and they have 54.

HaHaHaHaHa!

Report: NBA scouts believe Jabari Parker will return to Duke - CBSSports.com

ESPN

reports via a chat wth draft expert Chad Ford that Duke forward Jabari Parker is discussing returning for his sophomore season so much some scouts believe that will be his decision instead of declaring for the draft.

Tommy (Philadelphia, PA)

What's the latest info on whether or not Joel Embiid and/or Jabari Parker will enter the draft?

Chad Ford (1:07 PM)

Both are weighing their options. Both are seriously considering returning ... with Parker so much so that several scouts are claiming he's coming back to school. But I think that's premature.

(via Chat: Chat with Chad Ford - SportsNation - ESPN.)

Parker has several options, among them attending a mission trip as part of his Mormon faith, returning to develop for another year at Duke alongside his longtime friend Jahlil Okafor, or going pro. If he does enter the draft, he should go no later than third overall, despite questions about his defense we answered here.

Parker possesses a rare skillset to go with his athleticism and could be a gamechanging forward no matter where he's drafted, but his status as a draftee in June has always been in doubt. Fellow top prospect Andrew Wiggins announced his intentions to declare for the draft last week.

I don't know if I am laughing at the idea that Parker actually will come back to school (don't believe it for a sec) or if I am laughing at all those teams like Utah who gave multiple years of competitive basketball for this draft. I think I am laughing because Detroit didn't give up years of competitive basketball for this draft while in fact GIVING UP MULTIPLE YEARS OF COMPETITIVE BASKETBALL but not for this draft or any other draft. Bunch of dummies running the Pistons

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Wait I actually could see Jabari coming back to school to play alongside Jahlil Okafor and overrated Tyus Jones. I actually am just saddened for Utah that that is a real possibility. I mean Andre Biedrins, they took his salary for this draft stuff.

As someone who posted they wanted Ennis around that time, I'll admit I was wrong and agree with you. I do think he could make it in the NBA as a role player for the same reason I liked him: he is a good decision maker and ball handler (he had about a thousand assists to turnovers in the last 2 minutes of games for 3/4 of a season with a bunch of offensively challenged teammates), and can be a decent shooter. But he lacks a lot of explosiveness and is definitely not a starter on a championship team.

I have developed, for my own personal use, the "Erik Maynor" rule. All these marginally athletic PGs (Burke,Ennis) that have nice College seasons who find themselves moving up draft boards in March, I ask "Are they better or any different than Erik Maynor"? If the answer is no, I don't spend much time thinking about those prospects.

Wait I actually could see Jabari coming back to school to play alongside Jahlil Okafor and overrated Tyus Jones. I actually am just saddened for Utah that that is a real possibility. I mean Andre Biedrins, they took his salary for this draft stuff.

One thing I will never be is sad for Utah.

Jerry West thinks the 2014 NBA Draft is 'poor' - SBNation.com

Jerry West says this draft is a "poor one" and there are no franchise guys. Danny Ainge says there are no "gamechangers" and Jonath Givony (draftexpress.com) says it is a "fairly normal draft". At this point only Chad Ford who has a serious man crush issues with Wiggins and Smart believe this is a special group of prospects.

The group behind us has a better shot. Not as individuals, but as a group they do. We have 28 ping pong balls and they have 54.

absolutely, but sometimes people act like we have zero ping pong balls.

Utah was losing 50+ long before the GS trade.

Hard to say. They had a ton of cap space, giving them a lot of options in terms of how they wanted to build their roster. They made that trade to assure themselves that they could not improve the team basically and to get draft picks for the future.

Hard to say. They had a ton of cap space, giving them a lot of options in terms of how they wanted to build their roster. They made that trade to assure themselves that they could not improve the team basically and to get draft picks for the future.

I'm fairly confident in that prediction, even if they spent the money. They lost 39 with Jefferson and Milsap. Spending the money, I doubt they land players equal to the talent that left.

I'm fairly confident in that prediction, even if they spent the money. They lost 39 with Jefferson and Milsap. Spending the money, I doubt they land players equal to the talent that left.

You're probably right. Their young guys didn't improve as they projected/hoped.

You're probably right. Their young guys didn't improve as they projected/hoped.

Don't remind me. I'm about to give up on my Favors man crush.

He ranks Stauskas #1 and Harris #2.

Great Lakes State duo, UK pair pace shooting guard crop | NBA.com

A note on the rankings:

This is not a predictor of when these players will be taken. These rankings, based on discussions with dozens of NBA and college coaches, and NBA college scouts and team executives, address the question of how ready players are to play the position which they are assigned: In other words, if there was a game tonight, who would play better at that position tonight, not in three years. Players are ranked based on the position that the coaches and scouts believe is their best NBA position, and even then, there is always disagreement between teams.

For example: UCLA's 6-foot-9 sophomore, Kyle Anderson is a point guard in college (he's a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation's top point guard). And he'll certainly handle the ball a lot as a pro whenever he's drafted. But more NBA teams with whom I've spoken list him as a power forward prospect as a pro -- some compare him with the Spurs' Boris Diaw, who displayed point forward skills early in his career with Atlanta and Phoenix, but is now a more traditional frontcourt player. So we will list Anderson as a power forward on the Big Board.

Again: This is not a mock Draft. They are a complete waste of time, especially this long before June. No one has any idea what will happen between now and then; we don't even know all the teams that will be in the lottery, much less in which order they'll be picking. We don't know if there will be a major injury that will impact what a team wants or needs, (Of course, I will humiliate myself yet again and post a mock Draft just before the June 26 extravaganza. Y'all seem to like it.)

In the interim, what follows is a rough consensus of what NBA personnel people, GMs and coaches, and college coaches that I trust -- and that, obviously, can't be quoted by name -- believe is the pro potential for this year's crop of college and international players.

• "Sleepers" are players almost certain to go in the second round but who may have first-round talent or otherwise have an impact on the teams that select them if they overcome perceived shortcomings.

• "Some Scouts Like" are players who are not certain to declare, but are viewed as potentially draftable if they do -- with an emphasis on "potentially."

• All measurements are the official ones available after the Chicago pre-Draft combine. Measurements for players who did not attend the pre-Draft camp are from their respective university or team.

More at the link

What will he ever do for money?

He lost $3 million in order to go back and not go to class for a year. I think his middle name is "ain't."

He lost $3 million in order to go back and not go to class for a year. I think his middle name is "ain't."

That poor broke bastard