Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

I think we might be best off just staying put. If there is a good offer for a young veteran, I'd certainly intrigued, but otherwise we'd probably be smart to just keep adding lottery picks to this roster.

That strategy loses it's fun when you realize we have to skip a year in that process. Us losing a first but not knowing when feels like an anchor. I'd still wish we would have jelled a little bit, seen Andre learn how to not be a puss in the post (looking doubtful he ever adds that, he so far to go) and made the playoffs. Now we suck, will get to keep our pick this year, and have a real possibility of having 1/2 roster gutted and losing 60 games next year. Then we lose a top 3 pick.

What a clueless moron our owner is. Worst in the NBA, easily.

Can we amnesty Josh Smith and do a sign and trade with Monroe? We need to blow up the team and rebuild around Drummond in my opinion. Smith is just an empty suit. I doubt he can be traded...... ummm... I forgot to mention, we need a new GM also.

The amnesty is long gone. We could have used it on Ben G or Charlie V only, and Gores didn't like that idea.

Can we amnesty Josh Smith and do a sign and trade with Monroe? We need to blow up the team and rebuild around Drummond in my opinion. Smith is just an empty suit. I doubt he can be traded...... ummm... I forgot to mention, we need a new GM also.

Amnesty is a no. It was only for players under contract when the new CBA started in 2011. New contracts cant have amnesty used on them.

Sign and trade is a big yes, but its very hard to do. Hard to find a team that wants Monroe, Monroe wants to go to, and Detroit wan'ts one or more of its players. Plus with the new rules, tax paying teams can't do sign and trades, teams over the apron cant do them, etc and they always could in the past.

Expect to get a traded player exception if a sign and trade is done. And that really doesn't help Detroit that much since if they lose Monroe, they will be way way under the cap. Its not impossible they get player(s) back, but I wouldn't count on it.

One thing I discovered this week is that Monroe's field goal percentage numbers on his jump shots have improved this year. He is in the upper 30's on both shots from 3-10 and 10-16 feet. In the past, he has always been in the lower 30s. The attempts have not increased but I still see this as a very positive sign for him going forward. He needs to take his game away from the hoop for him to keep improving. I would hate to lose him for nothing but I also do not see any way how this team can take a step forward if he and Drummond comprise our front court. A sign and trade would be ideal.

Not only can Drummond/Monroe work, but they can thrive. The team just has to be built to compliment them.

Look at the way Bynum ran the Pick and roll for 3-4 games the last two weeks. The offense was humming. Get a PG who can do that on a consistent basis, 2 decent shooters at the SG/SF spots and Drummond/Monroe will flourish.

Not only can Drummond/Monroe work, but they can thrive. The team just has to be built to compliment them.

Look at the way Bynum ran the Pick and roll for 3-4 games the last two weeks. The offense was humming. Get a PG who can do that on a consistent basis, 2 decent shooters at the SG/SF spots and Drummond/Monroe will flourish.

I guess I could see this if Monroe moves his game out to the perimeter more and more. The problem is you have to have multiple shooters on the court to spread a defense and when you play Monroe and Drummond together, you HAVE to have three good shooters at the three wing positions. I don't think two decent shooters at SG/SF would get it done.

I guess I could see this if Monroe moves his game out to the perimeter more and more. The problem is you have to have multiple shooters on the court to spread a defense and when you play Monroe and Drummond together, you HAVE to have three good shooters at the three wing positions. I don't think two decent shooters at SG/SF would get it done.

I think it would if a good PG were running the offense.

Monroe needs to take more inefficient shots to improve his game!

What?

Monroe needs to take more inefficient shots to improve his game!

What?

That is my point. Monroe and Drummond do not fit well together because neither has any kind of perimeter game. For them to really do well together, I think Monroe would need to take his game further from the basket. If that happens with success (and I don't see this happening with success), I think we will continue to struggle to build around this frontcourt. Unless we are absolutely loaded at other positions but that is asking too much.

That is my point. Monroe and Drummond do not fit well together because neither has any kind of perimeter game. For them to really do well together, I think Monroe would need to take his game further from the basket. If that happens with success (and I don't see this happening with success), I think we will continue to struggle to build around this frontcourt. Unless we are absolutely loaded at other positions but that is asking too much.

Drummond and Monroe fit together just fine.

Looking potentially good for us to move to the 7th slot if we can pull off a loss to Milwaukee. Lakers play Sacramento this week. Even better, if Sacramento can beat New Orleans and then lose to the Lakers we're in a dead lock for 6th slot. Probably be best if Sac wins both though as they don't have a good chance of winning the last their last 7 games. Yeesh...we have 4 very winnable games to end the season...

Edited by DaBishop

Looking potentially good for us to move to the 7th slot if we can pull off a loss to Milwaukee. Lakers play Sacramento this week. Even better, if Sacramento can beat New Orleans and then lose to the Lakers we're in a dead lock for 6th slot. Probably be best if Sac wins both though as they don't have a good chance of winning the last their last 7 games. Yeesh...we have 4 very winnable games to end the season...

This is where it hurts us to have not a single person thinking about the future of the team. The players play for pride, stats, and/or their next contract. The coach wants every win possible because this is his first chance at getting a head coach job here or somewhere else. The GM's contract is up and probably won't be around next year if he doesn't make a playoff push.

If the coach and GM had some interest in the team's future they could worry more about seeing what we have for next year by playing Mitchell, Luigi, and Siva rather than trying to grab a useless win or two by riding the starters for their usual minutes.

That strategy loses it's fun when you realize we have to skip a year in that process. Us losing a first but not knowing when feels like an anchor. I'd still wish we would have jelled a little bit, seen Andre learn how to not be a puss in the post (looking doubtful he ever adds that, he so far to go) and made the playoffs. Now we suck, will get to keep our pick this year, and have a real possibility of having 1/2 roster gutted and losing 60 games next year. Then we lose a top 3 pick.

What a clueless moron our owner is. Worst in the NBA, easily.

I can come to peace with losing next year's pick. Find a way to dump Smith(still think this is incredibly doable), re-up Monroe and add a shooter to the mix at 8 or wherever we end up. You'll have the core of your team and you can move forward with it. You'll have a starter at every position basically and some cap space to work with. Might even be able to squeeze in a Gordon Hayward type.

That is my point. Monroe and Drummond do not fit well together because neither has any kind of perimeter game.

I don't think there is any problem having two guys on the floor who can only score on the interior.

Personally I think a team loses more when one of its' bigs floats to the outside to try to get a shot because chances are his defender will not aggressively pursue him, such that the defensive team can better collapse down on the one big remaining in the paint should he get the ball as well as be in a better position to rebound missed shots.

Pulling out a win last night really hurt. Lakers and Kings have tough schedules down the stretch.

I don't think there is any problem having two guys on the floor who can only score on the interior.

Personally I think a team loses more when one of its' bigs floats to the outside to try to get a shot because chances are his defender will not aggressively pursue him, such that the defensive team can better collapse down on the one big remaining in the paint should he get the ball as well as be in a better position to rebound missed shots.

Of course that would depend on how good a shooter he is also. Certainly true that you don't need to take the risk of Monroe hitting a 3 from the top of the key very seriously. Nowitzki not so much. :laugh:

Mcdermott is garbage and will have to play PF which is definitely a position we don't need to address. In fact most of those guys mentioned after the top 5 are garbage. This might be the year to trade #8 for a player already in the league and let some other team get burned on an over hyped draft.

Right, this draft is not the generational draft everyone predicted, Wiggins/Parker didn't turn out to be Lebron's, at #8 they will get a decent player (better then last years), but still not anything special.

If the Piston finish 8th, it is unlikely that someone behind them would hit in the lottery and push them to 9th.

It has happened 5 times since 1990 (when they had 9+ teams in the lottery), 20% of the time. Remember that it only takes one ball from behind them to move up, and they do not have to move up to #1, the odds of them moving to #8 are much better.

It has happened 5 times since 1990 (when they had 9+ teams in the lottery), 20% of the time. Remember that it only takes one ball from behind them to move up, and they do not have to move up to #1, the odds of them moving to #8 are much better.

True, but you also have to factor in that we have a better shot at moving up than everyone behind us.

Still laughing at Tyler Ennis' absurd and brief rise up the mock draft boards last January.

As someone who posted they wanted Ennis around that time, I'll admit I was wrong and agree with you. I do think he could make it in the NBA as a role player for the same reason I liked him: he is a good decision maker and ball handler (he had about a thousand assists to turnovers in the last 2 minutes of games for 3/4 of a season with a bunch of offensively challenged teammates), and can be a decent shooter. But he lacks a lot of explosiveness and is definitely not a starter on a championship team.