Deleterious

2014 NBA Draft

Josh Smith for 8!

Josh Smith plus Dumars(Secret Advisor) for 8 should get it done.

Love would not re-sign in Detroit. He is at the point where it would seem he wants to win a title ASAP after years of wasting away in Minny. I expect him to sign with an immediate contender.

No way McGary gets to the 2nd round, kid has real talent, the last ten picks in the first look like (to steal a baseball term) organizational fodder. The 2nd round looks like garbage, just take a euro and stash him hope he becomes something.

McGary will almost certainly be a 2nd rounder.

No way McGary gets to the 2nd round, kid has real talent, the last ten picks in the first look like (to steal a baseball term) organizational fodder. The 2nd round looks like garbage, just take a euro and stash him hope he becomes something.

McGary is a big man with back problems in college. That is a huge red flag, not sure how far he will drop.

McGary is a big man with back problems in college. That is a huge red flag, not sure how far he will drop.

NBA draft is all about potential. Come back after the draft and mock me all you want but I look the guys I have seen in 2nd half of the first round and I don't see anyone that I'd take over McGary if healthy. His back will drop him into the 20's but I don't see him getting past Miami at 26. DX has Jarnell Stokes whom Jordan Morgan outplayed in the tournament right behind McGary. GRIII is a small forward who could barely crack 30% from the college 3 pt line despite being the 3rd or 4th option most nights. DX has him right in front of McGary. Shabazz Napier in front of him is tiny, and really has more of a SG skillset. There may be stuff that shows up in his medical report that will drop him further. But if it is significant enough to drop him below projects like Ike Austin, do you really want him?

NBA draft is all about potential. Come back after the draft and mock me all you want but I look the guys I have seen in 2nd half of the first round and I don't see anyone that I'd take over McGary if healthy. His back will drop him into the 20's but I don't see him getting past Miami at 26. DX has Jarnell Stokes whom Jordan Morgan outplayed in the tournament right behind McGary. GRIII is a small forward who could barely crack 30% from the college 3 pt line despite being the 3rd or 4th option most nights. DX has him right in front of McGary. Shabazz Napier in front of him is tiny, and really has more of a SG skillset. There may be stuff that shows up in his medical report that will drop him further. But if it is significant enough to drop him below projects like Ike Austin, do you really want him?

You know who didn't outplay Stokes in that game? Mcgary

Do you think Sullinger dropped because of his back issues? I honestly can't remember for myself, but I don't think he fell on draft night vs what mocks suggested.

Do you think Sullinger dropped because of his back issues? I honestly can't remember for myself, but I don't think he fell on draft night vs what mocks suggested.

Hard to say since all we have to compare to is mock drafts. On 6/20/12 Draftexpress had him as the #7 pick. Eight days later on draft day they had him at #20 and he eventually went #21.

He was considered one of the better players in that draft, and one of the safest. Hard to say that's not why he fell. You technically never know though.

If they take Embiid their management has the balls the size of grapefruits, not saying Embiid is going to be a bust, but after the failed Anthony Bennett pick which came out of nowhere, it would take some serious cajones to take another guy that most think is the 3rd best prospect number 1 overall, ahead of 2 guys who have been touted for basically a year plus now.

Living in Columbus, that was all that we heard about was his back issue. It was well known in these parts.

I am still torn on Wiggins.

I don't think the GM wasn't lying and I think Wiggins has his share of critics. You worry about whether he will be able to strengthen up and get those college calls in the NBA. If his FT rate translates, I worry about him less. But he didn't shoot well from mid range and not exceptional at the rim (55%). Those calls aren't coming in the NBA unless he improves and shows he can finish like a man through contact.

He doesn't make plays for others and he doesn't have the natural handle or make things happen. He is forced to take a lot of Josh Smith jumpers, but that might improve with more space in the NBA.

I'd be ecstatic with Wiggins at 5, I would worry a bit at 1 about what the other guys like Embiid or Parker are doin,. I think he will guard SGs very well, I don't see him as a guy you guard a good strong attack SF with. I think he is better than Harrison Barnes, but I would put his floor only slightly above his. His ceiling is high but he has some important issues he has to improve on to get there.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Not that I needed another reason to hate Chad Ford for being a senile pimp more than an unbiased commentator, but Ford was running rumors around that the guy challenging his guy Wiggins (Parker) was overweight and that is why he skipped the combine. Givony watched him yesterday workout and he basically said that was total BS. Said he was in good shape.

Nearly all the top prospects skipped the combine Chad.

Re Drummond and Ewing...Patrick Ewing was a defensive monster when he was at Cambridge Rindge and Latin HS. Scouts were talking him up as an NBA ready center when he started at Georgetown. That said, given his size and athleticism, Drummond will be as good a defender as he wants to be.

Ford is so anti-Parker, he thinks he discovered Wiggins, has been negative about Parker since summer of 2013 and said this earlier this month to go along with his Parker is a fat bum rumors that he "heard" from unnamed inside sources:

The Lakers like Embiid and Wiggins, but are also keeping their eye on Exum, who is working out with Kobe Bryant’s trainer, Tim Grover, in L.A. Parker probably ranks fourth on their list, followed by Randle.

Ah, "Probably" Chad. Just like the Cavs "probably" had Wiggins #1 but real experts had Embiid over Wiggins in Cleveland? I feel duped about this guy, I always took him as he was and thought he wasn't as bad as some here said he was. He is nuts and his bias trumps reality. I would bet money that the Lakers didn't have Parker 4th. Just because they liked Exum (they were slotted 6th) doesn't mean they placed him ahead of Parker. It means he was their realistic option they were honing in on.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Re Drummond and Ewing...Patrick Ewing was a defensive monster when he was at Cambridge Rindge and Latin HS. Scouts were talking him up as an NBA ready center when he started at Georgetown. That said, given his size and athleticism, Drummond will be as good a defender as he wants to be.

Ewing also had 4 years of coaching from John Thompson. Even if SVG is a great coach, a pro player doesn't get the learning time a collegian can.

Ewing also had 4 years of coaching from John Thompson. Even if SVG is a great coach, a pro player doesn't get the learning time a collegian can.

If it is a fringe NBA player he might not get the game time. But NBA players receive a lot more coaching than college players do. The Pistons kids were around Auburn Hills from August to October last year working out with the coaching staff. That alone is probably more time than a college kid gets in a year.

Embiid is fascinating, but if I'm the Cavs I'm not taking any risks. You can't screw up 2 of your 3 #1 overall picks. Wiggins is both high floor and high ceilings IMO. Embiid might have a little higher ceiling at a more valuable position, but his floor(injury based) scares me.

I am still torn on Wiggins.

I don't think the GM wasn't lying and I think Wiggins has his share of critics. You worry about whether he will be able to strengthen up and get those college calls in the NBA. If his FT rate translates, I worry about him less. But he didn't shoot well from mid range and not exceptional at the rim (55%). Those calls aren't coming in the NBA unless he improves and shows he can finish like a man through contact.

He doesn't make plays for others and he doesn't have the natural handle or make things happen. He is forced to take a lot of Josh Smith jumpers, but that might improve with more space in the NBA.

I'd be ecstatic with Wiggins at 5, I would worry a bit at 1 about what the other guys like Embiid or Parker are doin,. I think he will guard SGs very well, I don't see him as a guy you guard a good strong attack SF with. I think he is better than Harrison Barnes, but I would put his floor only slightly above his. His ceiling is high but he has some important issues he has to improve on to get there.

There is definitely a lot of projection involved with Wiggins. I like that his defense is already there though. He does need to get stronger to guard NBA SGs, but the effort and talent are there. He's an impact player on that end of the floor and you like seeing that in a 19 year old.