lordstanley

Playoff Watch Thread: Extend The 22-Year Streak

Phoenix leads Columbus 1-0 after 1, after outshooting the Jackets 10-4! How can the Jackets allow that to happen.

Key Games

Detroit at Pittsburgh - Later 8pm start, for NBC Sports Network. Obviously would be nice to pick up a point so that Friday's home game is relaxed and somewhat celebratory. Looking ahead to Sunday if the Wings happen to lose tonight and Friday in regulation, the Blues could be playing for high stakes, with a division title over Colorado suddenly not being a given. If the Wings don't clinch tonight, they could clinch on their offday Thursday if Washington (at Carolina) and NJ (at Ottawa) both lose

Columbus at Dallas - replay of the game cancelled due to the Rich Peverly collapse. Oddly (but based on precedent of Jiri Fischer game), a full 60 minutes game will be played but the Jackets will start with the 1-0 lead they had when play was suspended. If the Wings can simply maintain their 1 point lead over Columbus through today's games, then I like the Wings' chances of getting the 1st wildcard, as Friday would be a good opportunity to make the 1st wildcard lead insurmountable (Wings home to Carolina, Columbus at Tampa)

The Wings at 90 points for 7th place are now as close to 4th in the conference (Tampa at 95 points) as they are to 9th place Washington (85 points). Wings could very easily finish 5th in the East in points (NYR currently 3 up but the Wings have a game in hand, Flyers 1 up with same number of games played as the Wings), but because of the divisional format the Wings can do no better than the 1st wildcard spot unless Tampa collapses.

Edited by lordstanley

Jackets 1:30 from clinching, up 3-1. Stars have been storming for several minutes now. 13-2 in shots I believe, this period.

Pretty impressive. What is the next longest streak? Any sport...
Spurs-17

I <think> I heard the all-time record (not active) is 29 by the Boston Bruins?

Wings still have a chance to beat that. 2021 baby!

edit;

Yes, TY Google;

"The Boston Bruins have the longest playoff streak, making the postseason 29 consecutive seasons, from 1967-68 through 1995-96."

Red Wings clinch 23rd consecutive playoff berth against Pens

Edited by Sports_Freak

Spurs-17

Very impressive. Including 15 straight 50-win seasons, 4 titles, 5 appearances in the finals, and playoffs in 23 of 24 years.

We had a happy ending to a similarly-titled thread last year:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-red-wings/100244-playoff-watch-thread-extend-21-year-streak.html

But I don't believe even as its lowest point last season the odds were against the Wings more than they are today:

Reasons To Despair

The Injury-Ravaged Lineup - Don't expect the Wings to ride Cup-hardened veterans to a playoff spot as if it's a fan's birthright - Kronwall and Franzen are the only healthy core players this year from the 2008 and 2009 runs

All But Locked In To No Higher Than 8th - Even with games in hand, the Wings aren't going to make up 7 or 8 points in 15 games on the Bolts, Habs or Leafs

Gap Between The Wings And A Playoff Spot - Even with a win tonight, the Wings would still be shy in the points race of the final playoff spot. 3 behind Columbus and NYR, 4 behind Philly

Other Teams In The Mix - It's not just the Wings chasing the above-mentioned Columbus, NYR or Philly for a spot. The Caps have more points than the Wings, although the Wings have a better record given the 2 games in hand. New Jersey and Ottawa are still close enough to the Wings' rear view mirror, although frankly, if NJ and Ottawa pass the Wings it will be because the Wings record the rest of the way is so poor they wouldn't be catching CBJ, NYR or Philly anyways

The Schedule - Almost all opponents are playoff teams. 8 home, 7 road. 12 against playoff teams, with the exceptions being 2 against Buffalo and 1 against Carolina

No Saviour in Net - Howard's having an off year. He hasn't shown any indication he will steal games down the stretch

Inability to Hold Leads - The Wings need wins outright especially against teams with whom they're battling for a spot, but the way they cough up goals late (minus 20 goal differential in the 3rd period for example) opponents are likely to at least pick up loser points

Down In The Tiebreaker - Except for Toronto, who are beyond reach anyways, the Wings are well below in ROWs the teams they're fighting with, except for Washington

Reasons For Hope

Collapse By 1 Team Is Enough - Assuming the Wings hold off Ottawa, Washington and NJ, they just need to beat out one of CBJ, NYR or Philly, not all of them

Still Largely Control Destiny - Being down 3 to NYR with 2 games in hand is pretty close to being tied.

Prognosis

I'm not optimistic. In fact, I could see the Wings being all but out of it in a week or so. Lose tonight even, and with the wrong results on the out-of-town scoreboard the Wings could be 5 back by tomorrow morning. In this day and age of 3 point games, such a deficit would be a mountain. Honestly, I don't expect this to be much of a race or it to be close - if I had to bet my life on it, I'd say not only will the Wings miss but they'll be officially eliminated with a few games to go. I'm not giving up though and I'll watch to the end, even if it turns out to be a bitter end.

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

So much wrong in my original post. I couldn't have been more wrong (not true actually- I could be Motor City Sonics :cheeky:)

The injury-ravaged lineup got healthier except for Z and Ericsson, the Wings still have a chance at 7th, the Wings were able to beat playoff teams, and close out close wins. The biggest factor though was the collapse of the Leafs. If the Leafs had simply played .500 hockey the past few weeks, the Wings currently would be in a tight fight with Columbus for the final playoff spot.

It really is remarkable what this team has been able to accomplish with all the injuries and the tire fire that is the defensive corps.

Hopefully this will convince the front office / Babcock to trust the young players more moving forward.

I hope so as well and I think it will.

This team is in very good shape moving forward. Sproul and Pulkkinen were named to the AHL All-Rookie team. Almquist and Mrazek were named to the AHL All Star Second Team. The prospects are damn good and guys like Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Quincey, and Gus will all be gone leaving the Wings with plenty of cap space to sign free agents or use those prospects to bring in good talent.

Holland just needs to stay away from the gritty veterans and all will be glorious.

One more post on scoreboard-watching, pertaining to the Wings' playoff matchup. Quite straightforward

- the Wings will play either Boston or Pittsburgh in the 1st round

- if the Wings earn the 1st wildcard spot, they will play Pittsburgh

- if the Wings earn the 2nd wildcard spot, they will play Boston

- there are 3 Metro teams playing for playoff postion - NYR, Philly and Columbus. Two of those 3 teams will come 2nd and 3rd in the Metro and play each other in the 1st round, the 3rd team will take a wildcard spot

- the Wings need to beat out one of those Metro teams in order to get the 1st wildcard. If the Wings don't beat out any of those 3 teams, the Wings will get the 2nd wildcard

- the Wings would lose a tiebreaker to all 3 of those Metro teams so need to finish ahead of - not tied with - any one of those teams in order to get the 1st wildcard

- as of today, NYR has 93 points with 2 games to go, Philly has 91 points with 3 games to go, Columbus has 91 points with 2 games to go, Detroit has 91 points with 2 games to go

- NYR's remaining schedule is home for Buffalo Thursday, at Montreal Saturday; Philly's remaining schedule is at Tampa Thursday, at Pittsburgh Saturday, home for Carolina Sunday; Columbus' remaining schedule is at Tampa Friday, at Florida Saturday; Detroit's remaining schedule is home for Carolina Friday, at St. Louis Sunday.

Hopefully this will convince the front office / Babcock to trust the young players more moving forward.

Helene St. James: The kids – and Daniel Alfredsson – are all right as Detroit Red Wings gear up for playoff run | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The second half of the Wings' season, post-Olympics in particular, has been defined by "the kids" as these early 20-somethings have come to be known, because they're the reason the Wings are advancing to meet either Boston or Pittsburgh next week in spite of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg each missing half a season because of injuries.

"Our team is way better because we've got kids and they've won jobs and they're going to keep jobs," Babcock said. "We're way quicker and way harder, we're a more physical team. I like us."

-----

No one is in doubt the kids have saved the season."No question," Babcock said, "we couldn't have done it without them. They came here, but they took jobs. They're not going anywhere. They're real good players that keep getting better and they're going to be part of us for a long time."

LS, dont beat yourself up. You simply underestimated the epic collapseitude of the Leafs.