Sign in to follow this  
thefunk

BTT Round 1 - ILLINOIS V. MICHIGAN

Michigan goes up by 1 with a Morgan basket. Amazing what happens when you go inside. Illinois ball with 3 seconds left.

What the **** ESPN? 2 minutes left and then you completely stop updating?

And what the **** Michigan. No one willing to go inside, nothing but three pointers.

ESPN still says 2:06 left.

Looks like Michigan will end the game with about 2/3 of their shots coming from deep. Why the hell wouldn't beilien advise his players to put the ball inside. Nothing but 3 after 3 after 3, all bricks.

31 out of 47 FGA came from behind the long line. That is embarrassing and egregious. A coach cannot let that happen for any reason.

TP- Illinois was playing that Syracuse 2-3 zone down the stretch. It's difficult to go inside on that. You beat it by shooting threes.

Really, this team shoots 40% from three. It's not a bad thing to take them if they are given to you.

On Morgan's basket they had gone to man to man and we went inside.

Believe it or not, they do actually know what they are doing.

All fair points, but you can beat 2-3 zones by doing a lot more than shooting 3 pointers.

All fair points, but you can beat 2-3 zones by doing a lot more than shooting 3 pointers.

But when you shoot 40% from three, why bother?

Obviously, threes aren't the only solution. But they are still a perfectly valid strategy. Just because the shots weren't falling doesn't mean they weren't the right shots.

The problem was compounded by what Illinois was doing on offense. They were barreling into our guys in the paint and getting a ton of block calls. The number of times they got to the line helped them immensely in being able to set up their zone.

Give them credit. They played well down the stretch to take advantage of our misses. They aren't a bad team.

But when you shoot 40% from three, why bother?

Obviously, threes aren't the only solution. But they are still a perfectly valid strategy. Just because the shots weren't falling doesn't mean they weren't the right shots.

The problem was compounded by what Illinois was doing on offense. They were barreling into our guys in the paint and getting a ton of block calls. The number of times they got to the line helped them immensely in being able to set up their zone.

Give them credit. They played well down the stretch to take advantage of our misses. They aren't a bad team.

Illinois isn't a good team either, couple that with the an 11 point lead in the second half and you have to question things. It's about being adaptible. Michigan couldn't make a three, so in that instance I would like to see them shift strategy. I understand they normally can shoot a team right out of a zone, but the answer to the question "what happens if we shoot poorly?" can't be "shoot more threes."

It's win or go home now, can't rely on one facet, today they did that and escaped with a win.

You think the fact the missed a three 10 minutes ago means they shouldn't shoot the next one? That's insane.

They have the skills they have, and those skills make them good shooters.

You'd probably bet heads in a coin flipping competition if the previous flip was heads, wouldn't you?

We can split hairs over whether Illinois is not good or not bad. They are certainly good enough to give michigan a run, so it's no skin off my back for them to have played is tough.

In the last month they went on the road and beat Minnesota, msu, and Iowa, and also beat Nebraska easily at home. Their only loss was to us in a game we absolutely bossed from the beginning.

This game was never going to be a cakewalk. It's a game we should win 7 times out 10, sure. But we'd still lose 3. It happens.

Nothing is certain.

You think the fact the missed a three 10 minutes ago means they shouldn't shoot the next one? That's insane.

You'd probably bet heads in a coin flipping competition if the previous flip was heads, wouldn't you?

I am not ignorant to probability. But I liken it to golf, it's feel. I know I can hit a draw, but if I am on hole 12 and I haven't hit my draw all day, instead it's been a pull hook, I don't attempt to hit it, even though the odds say I would probably execute the next one. Go to something easier.

Michigan is a good basketball team and well coached. But at times they get three happy when there is plenty of other offense to run, it makes it easier for the defense because they can flair out to the line because they know Michigan isn't going inside. Balance is key.

UM has the players that have shown an ability to penetrate and score or pass to someone else in the paint, very little effort to do that today. Very frustrating that they settled for the three which allowed Illinois to get comfortable in the zone.

I am not ignorant to probability. But I liken it to golf, it's feel. I know I can hit a draw, but if I am on hole 12 and I haven't hit my draw all day, instead it's been a pull hook, I don't attempt to hit it, even though the odds say I would probably execute the next one. Go to something easier.

Michigan is a good basketball team and well coached. But at times they get three happy when there is plenty of other offense to run, it makes it easier for the defense because they can flair out to the line because they know Michigan isn't going inside. Balance is key.

The golf analogy is fine, but that still only applies to you as an individual. Whether or not stauskas missed a three has little to do with Levert's next shot.

I'm not ignorant to feel. I get it. If you are off you are off.

But you don't know how they felt.

Still, I think feel plays a much bigger part in properly executing a draw that it does in shooting a basketball.

I just think Illinois's defensive play deserves more credit than you are giving it. The drives to the basket just weren't there for the most part. At least that is what I remember seeing. Feel free to confirm for yourself if you get a chance.

And I also think you aren't giving beilein enough credit by suggesting he wasn't instructing them to do something as easy as merely going to the hoop while the threes weren't falling. You really think he ignored that possibility, or that the team ignored those instructions if he gave them?

And I also think you aren't giving beilein enough credit by suggesting he wasn't instructing them to do something as easy as merely going to the hoop while the threes weren't falling. You really think he ignored that possibility, or that the team ignored those instructions if he gave them?

Yup - these are not Bill Frieder's Wolverines.