Motor City Sonics

I'm not letting Pavel off the hook here.

I don't see how choosing to stay in the NHL vs. KHL illustrates national pride or lack thereof. At that point it is likely a business and personal decision.

The Olympics are an unpaid exhibition that take up a few weeks once every four years and carry a fair amount of prestige to boot. Hardly similar to taking on a long term contract.

If you felt so strongly about your country and your family, wouldn't you want to be there? I think the Olympics was a personal and business decision as well. Pav is considered more of an aw shucks humble guy, so people aren't questioning him. He wanted the fame and prestige that would have gone along with being a gold medal winner for Russia. But in Datyuk's case, it's looked at as "national pride". Like MCS said, Fedorov was perceived as selfish and it being all about the money and fame (not to me, I was a huge fan).

I don't really even get what the question is. I don't care if he's being paid 5 thousand or 5 million by the Red Wings. I'd feel that way if he was a fourth line player, the fact he's one of the top players in the NHL just magnifies it. He has a contract with the Red Wings and they should be his first priority, end of story. If he was like Tavares and was perfectly healthy and went over there and got injured, I wouldn't be happy about it, but it'd be a little easier to understand. There is no way playing on a knee injury will make it better. He's not a stupid guy, he knew that. He didn't care. Why should he? He's still collecting a paycheck from the Red Wings. It's great he's got Russian pride, but a little Red Wing pride and loyalty would have been nice too. I know the streak had to come to an end, all streaks do. But it shouldn't have been this year because our two best players didn't feel like the Red Wings were important enough to them.

Could the RedWings have prevented either from playing if they were that concerned? Did they attempt to? Do we have any details about the exact medical situations of either guys? If you did, are you qualified to evaluate such data?

The Wings allowed the guy to play, and he made a personal decision to do so. I don't know if you have met any Russians, but they have an immense nationalistic pride, and sense of duty, in my experience. I have found it rather amazing, even as a guy that delayed going to college to serve in the Marine Corps. Knowing this, I am not surprised at all that he elected to play (especially with the games in Russia) even if it meant playing less for the Wings down the road. I understand that most fans cannot look beyond their own wants and needs and condemn the guy because for some reason fans in this country have a weird sense of entitlement and think that the player owes them something. I think that if one is able to look at the situation more objectively, his actions seem more reasonable. He had to know that there would be some backlash from the fans, but chose to do what he felt was right anyway.

It's not just a question of national pride, it could also be a sense of obligation. Datsyuk is a product of the Russian hockey system growing up and that played some role in his developing into the player he is today. Could his playing in the Olympics in his home country - in an Olympics hugely important to his countrymen, in a sport hugely important to his countrymen- not be seen as giving back to his country? His country wanted him there, the IOC wanted him there, television networks wanted him there, sponsors wanted him there, his league the NHL wanted him there. None of those stakeholders want the opposite situation of Datsyuk's - that healthy players give the Olympics a miss. Recall the NHL's reaction to a dinged-up Lidstrom missing the All-Star Game a few years ago. Imagine the reaction from Americans and from fans of 29 clubs if Kessel and JVR decided that rather than going to Sochi this year they were being to spend the break in Jamaica to rest up for the stretch run because the team that pays their salaries had the best chance in a generation of a Cup run for its long-suffering fanbase.

It's not just a question of national pride, it could also be a sense of obligation. Datsyuk is a product of the Russian hockey system growing up and that played some role in his developing into the player he is today. Could his playing in the Olympics in his home country - in an Olympics hugely important to his countrymen, in a sport hugely important to his countrymen- not be seen as giving back to his country? His country wanted him there, the IOC wanted him there, television networks wanted him there, sponsors wanted him there, his league the NHL wanted him there. None of those stakeholders want the opposite situation of Datsyuk's - that healthy players give the Olympics a miss. Recall the NHL's reaction to a dinged-up Lidstrom missing the All-Star Game a few years ago. Imagine the reaction from Americans and from fans of 29 clubs if Kessel and JVR decided that rather than going to Sochi this year they were being to spend the break in Jamaica to rest up for the stretch run because the team that pays their salaries had the best chance in a generation of a Cup run for its long-suffering fanbase.

I don't think Americans would have really cared, TBH. I think the Maple Leaf fans would have been thrilled.

I think the NHL all star game is a different thing because if too many "stars" decide to sit out, they have no game. So it makes sense that there has to be some sort of agreements in place to avoid a mass exodus of stars.

The Red Wings have been very secretive about Datsyuk's injury, I think to avoid the criticism that might come along with how it was handled. What we do know is that Datsyuk sat out a number of games before the Olympics. He played two games before the Olympics because he needed conditioning. He went on to play in the Olympics and play quite well. He came back and now is out for at least a month while the Wings are fighting for their playoff lives. Those are the facts that are known. It's also possible that Datsyuk may have played more games for the Wings, but was "resting up" to try and get healthy for Sochi. I just don't really like the precedent that sets. I think in Stamkos' case, he had every intention of going, but the team told him no, backed up by the medical team. I think unless they can find a way to switch hockey to the summer games like basketball, the NHL in the Olympics is just a bad idea. I just don't like the idea that an outside international tournament has had such an effect on the NHL season.

I do understand his national pride, but I still don't understand why he is here in the US. During the lockout, all he did was gush about being in Russia, how great it was to play at home, being able to spend a lot of time with his daughter and his family. So why did re-sign with the Wings for 3 more years? He's won Cups, he has won personal awards, really nothing more to prove. I'm not asking in an argumentative way, I'm just really surprised he came back. He doesn't seem to really want to be here.

I don't think Americans would have really cared, TBH. I think the Maple Leaf fans would have been thrilled.

I think the NHL all star game is a different thing because if too many "stars" decide to sit out, they have no game. So it makes sense that there has to be some sort of agreements in place to avoid a mass exodus of stars.

The Red Wings have been very secretive about Datsyuk's injury, I think to avoid the criticism that might come along with how it was handled. What we do know is that Datsyuk sat out a number of games before the Olympics. He played two games before the Olympics because he needed conditioning. He went on to play in the Olympics and play quite well. He came back and now is out for at least a month while the Wings are fighting for their playoff lives. Those are the facts that are known. It's also possible that Datsyuk may have played more games for the Wings, but was "resting up" to try and get healthy for Sochi. I just don't really like the precedent that sets. I think in Stamkos' case, he had every intention of going, but the team told him no, backed up by the medical team. I think unless they can find a way to switch hockey to the summer games like basketball, the NHL in the Olympics is just a bad idea. I just don't like the idea that an outside international tournament has had such an effect on the NHL season.

I do understand his national pride, but I still don't understand why he is here in the US. During the lockout, all he did was gush about being in Russia, how great it was to play at home, being able to spend a lot of time with his daughter and his family. So why did re-sign with the Wings for 3 more years? He's won Cups, he has won personal awards, really nothing more to prove. I'm not asking in an argumentative way, I'm just really surprised he came back. He doesn't seem to really want to be here.

He has millions if reasons to be in the US.

He has millions if reasons to be in the US.

I'm am sure he'd get millions to play in Russia too.

Wings streak is over. With a whimper. Thanks to the Olympics. Glad that Pavel could give a good effort for his medal-less Russian team. It means so much to the guy that pays him 6 million a year. He's got a good six months to get healthy now. No reason to come back now. He shouldn't have a letter on his sweater. This is the NHL, when your team is fighting for every point, you better be on crutches to miss games.

I'm am sure he'd get millions to play in Russia too.

So what? If he can make more here, or views contracts to be more guaranteed here, or if he views the level of competition to be better here, or if he has business ventures here he wants to keep an eye on, if his lover lives here ... are all good reasons to want to work in the US but maintain Russian citizenship.

I honestly don't even get how the fact he could play professionally in Russia somehow suggests he shouldn't play in the Olympics if he isn't playing professionally there. It is pretzel logic at best.

Wings streak is over. With a whimper. Thanks to the Olympics.

I think it is much more due to years of poor drafting position paired with unwillingness on Ken Holland's part to play young players / over-reliance on aging players.

Glad that Pavel could give a good effort for his medal-less Russian team. It means so much to the guy that pays him 6 million a year. He's got a good six months to get healthy now. No reason to come back now. He shouldn't have a letter on his sweater. This is the NHL, when your team is fighting for every point, you better be on crutches to miss games.

You come across as very bitter and whiny in this paragraph.

Actually, on second thought, you sound like you belong on Detroit sports talk radio.

You come across as very bitter and whiny in this paragraph.

Actually, on second thought, you sound like you belong on Detroit sports talk radio.

Just in this paragraph?

Fedorov would have 3 games in a row without a point and it's "he's a floater, ship him out, he stinks"

Datsyuk is too hurt to play, comes back to show he's ready for the Olympics, plays great, and then is too hurt to play when he comes back and nobody has a real problem with it.

Red Wing fans got spoiled.

Those situations, even assuming your wild generalization is true, are apples to oranges. But I guess whatever you need to justify your rage.

Very similar situation in Montreal with Carey Price. Saturday was his 1st game for the Habs since January.

No timeframe for Carey Price's return to Canadiens | Hockey | Sports | Toronto Sun

The NHL need to stop the Olympics thing. This is ridiculous. These players are being paid millions by the NHL, not by the Olympic Committee - it needs to be an either/or situation. An off season "world cup" - fine, but no more NHLers in the Olympics. Not if they are going to pull this crap.

Agreed. A win in an international tournament is no more or less valid if it called the World Cup instead of being called the Olympics, assuming roster availability is the same (so the annual world championships don't count).

Enough with midseason international competitions. Play the World Cup every four years after the season is complete.

You could hold training camp during the last month of the playoffs.

The NHL need to stop the Olympics thing. This is ridiculous. These players are being paid millions by the NHL, not by the Olympic Committee - it needs to be an either/or situation. An off season "world cup" - fine, but no more NHLers in the Olympics. Not if they are going to pull this crap.

Having hockey in the summer Olympics is the most reasonable thing you have suggested, but the bar is pretty low.

I think that players shouldn't be allowed to leave the area in the offseason if they are still under contract. They aren't being paid millions of dollars to go back to their home country and put themselves at risk of non hockey injuries.

I think that players shouldn't be allowed to leave the area in the offseason if they are still under contract. They aren't being paid millions of dollars to go back to their home country and put themselves at risk of non hockey injuries.

When Ilitch builds the new arena, he should build dorms attached to the arena for the players to live. It will be like a Southeast Asia Apple factory.

When Ilitch builds the new arena, he should build dorms attached to the arena for the players to live. It will be like a Southeast Asia Apple factory.

WingsConn

Hockey nets outside the windows to prevent players from jumping to their deaths?

Judging by this season they would find a way to hurt themselves being around hockey equipment like that.