Motor City Sonics

I'm not letting Pavel off the hook here.

Sorry folks, he is the greatest player in the world..........when he wants to be.

Coming off the injured list a couple games before the Olympics, playing great in the Olympics and then going back on the injured list a couple games after coming back just has me furious. His team is fighting for every game to make the playoffs. They need everyone they can get. A 70% Pavel is better than a 100% Corey Emerton or Thomas Jurco or about 9 other Red Wing forwards. With Zetterberg already out, Datsyuk should be playing. This is a complete lack of leadership on his part. Gut it out, Pavs. As far as I'm concerned he needs to pay for the team that plays him, not for an exhibition tournament. If he loves playing in Russia so much, then he should leave the NHL and go back - then the Wings can spend money on guys that actually want to play here.

People got so angry when Fedorov "floated". Yes, there were stretches in the regular season when he "floated". I never had a problem with that. The team was not struggling to make the playoffs then and I think he needed to dial it back for stretches to be ready for the playoffs. And Sergei Federov OWNED the playoffs. If he wasn't putting up big numbers for the Wings, he was absolutely shutting down the other teams' star forwards. Pavel has not been dominant in the playoffs in recent years, not even defensively. Zetterberg has been, but not Pavel.

But this from Pavel just has me furious. But nobody seems to be the least bit upset or disappointed in it. If he could play for the Olympics, he can play now. Total nonsense. I know the playoff streak had to end sometime, but this whole thing with Pavel is beyond disappointing.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes. Just my opinion, but I understand your anger

With the Olympics being in Russia, him being captain, and Putin putting a ton of pressure on the hockey team, I don't blame him for playing. I know it probably isn't a popular opinion.

With the Olympics being in Russia, him being captain, and Putin putting a ton of pressure on the hockey team, I don't blame him for playing. I know it probably isn't a popular opinion.

I can't imagine a guy putting his country above his job. The nerve of the guy.

We don't know that the knee wouldn't have gotten worse in his 1st few games back if he hadn't played in the Olympics anymore than Pavel knew it would get worse if he did play. Too many imponderables to blame Pavel for not having 20/20 foresight.

Guys, if this was Fedorov people would be screaming for his head. And Walt, his country isn't paying him over 6 million a year. Mr. Illitch is. I do think that means he should put his team ahead of playing for his country.

Guys, if this was Fedorov people would be screaming for his head. And Walt, his country isn't paying him over 6 million a year. Mr. Illitch is. I do think that means he should put his team ahead of playing for his country.

At what point is his salary supposed to be more important than his nationalistic pride? If $6M is enough, where is the break even point?

Personally I am a bigger Fedorov fan than Datsyuk so to this I say eh. But people disliked Fedorov for other reasons (holding out, signing with Carolina, leaving for the Ducks) which hasn't been a thing with Datsyuk so I can actually see why people would give Datsyuk more benefit of the doubt, as he hasn't shown any sort of "disloyalty" towards to organization.

Are you angry at Zetterberg for going to the Olympics? He has a history of back trouble, missed time before the Olympics, and probably was feeling the pain before he left.

I've long suspected that Fedorov pissed people off inside the RW organization (players, coaches, front office folks) and that flavored the type of articles written about Sergei, especially late in his Wings' tenure.

I agree. Datsyuk should totally tell the Detroit doctors that shut him down for 3 weeks to **** off and get out there and risk further damage to his injured knee.

I know the temptation to play in the Olympics is hard to resist, but if I am the wings owner and I know Pavel and Hank had been injured right up to the Olympics I would have given them a no go.

I think the NHL should stop sending players to the Olympics, you shouldn't stop a season because of it.

I think the NHL should stop sending players to the Olympics, .

this. But if the league is going to participate in the olympics, you can't very well turn around and ask the players to be the ones charged with weighing the potential impact to their NHL teams in deciding whether or not to go if invited.

this. But if the league is going to participate in the olympics, you can't very well turn around and ask the players to be the ones charged with weighing the potential impact to their NHL teams in deciding whether or not to go if invited.

This is my stance. I like seeing the players in the Olympics, but understand why they don't want it to happen. But as long as the NHL allows it I'm fine with whatever the players choose.

This is my stance. I like seeing the players in the Olympics, but understand why they don't want it to happen. But as long as the NHL allows it I'm fine with whatever the players choose.

Me too. I don't like making assumptions about their decision making processes and health as we have hardly any information regarding either. Seems like it is something silly to get worked up over, given that. I suppose we have a whole political forum that does this routinely though. ;)

1. I think the people who are coming down hard on Datsyuk about this are the same people who booed Fedorov. For different reasons.

2. Red Wings players are perfectly capable of getting injured and re-injured in regular NHL games. I don't think Datsyuk would be in much better condition if he had missed those 4 Olympic games.

3. It's Illitch's money not mine. Nor do I hear Holland speaking out against Datsyuk. Holland might be privately miffed. But allowing players to play in the Olympics and treating players with respect is a factor that generally speaking causes players to sign or re-sign with the Wings and, specifically in Datsyuk's case, was likely a huge factor in Datsyuk deciding to sign an extension last summer instead of jumping to the KHL.

4. If you want to be mad at anyone, blame Babcock. He could have just told Zetterberg and Datsyuk that with Babcock at the helm Canada was going to kick everyone's *** in Sochi so they might as well stay home comfortably in Detroit in February and save the time, effort and aggravation. :lick:

Sorry folks, he is the greatest player in the world..........when he wants to be.

Coming off the injured list a couple games before the Olympics, playing great in the Olympics and then going back on the injured list a couple games after coming back just has me furious. His team is fighting for every game to make the playoffs. They need everyone they can get. A 70% Pavel is better than a 100% Corey Emerton or Thomas Jurco or about 9 other Red Wing forwards. With Zetterberg already out, Datsyuk should be playing. This is a complete lack of leadership on his part. Gut it out, Pavs. As far as I'm concerned he needs to pay for the team that plays him, not for an exhibition tournament. If he loves playing in Russia so much, then he should leave the NHL and go back - then the Wings can spend money on guys that actually want to play here.

People got so angry when Fedorov "floated". Yes, there were stretches in the regular season when he "floated". I never had a problem with that. The team was not struggling to make the playoffs then and I think he needed to dial it back for stretches to be ready for the playoffs. And Sergei Federov OWNED the playoffs. If he wasn't putting up big numbers for the Wings, he was absolutely shutting down the other teams' star forwards. Pavel has not been dominant in the playoffs in recent years, not even defensively. Zetterberg has been, but not Pavel.

But this from Pavel just has me furious. But nobody seems to be the least bit upset or disappointed in it. If he could play for the Olympics, he can play now. Total nonsense. I know the playoff streak had to end sometime, but this whole thing with Pavel is beyond disappointing.

I don't share the same amount of anger, but I do agree with what you're saying. I understand his loyalty to his country and if he's 100% healthy, no problem. But the fact he missed several games before Sochi and then played 2 games to "get in a few games for conditioning" (not sure if this is exactly what he said but it was along those lines), played at a fairly high level at the Olympics, then came back to Detroit and was too injured to play. It did kind of rub me the wrong way.

In Zetterberg's case, having already won a gold medal, I don't feel like he should have risked it. Franzen did the right thing. He stayed home, got healthy and came out after the break on fire. Where would the Wings be now without Franzen?

I see the national pride angle, but the NHL is the one paying their salaries. I agree that the NHL shouldn't participate. I think the Martin St. Louis situation didn't help things any. While it may have not been the sole reason, his Olympic "snub" directly affected his NHL status. That shouldn't happen.

I do appreciate all that they've given to the Wings, but it isn't like they've done it on a volunteer basis. They've been well compensated by the NHL, not by the SEL or the KHL.

I don't share the same amount of anger, but I do agree with what you're saying. I understand his loyalty to his country and if he's 100% healthy, no problem. But the fact he missed several games before Sochi and then played 2 games to "get in a few games for conditioning" (not sure if this is exactly what he said but it was along those lines), played at a fairly high level at the Olympics, then came back to Detroit and was too injured to play. It did kind of rub me the wrong way.

In Zetterberg's case, having already won a gold medal, I don't feel like he should have risked it. Franzen did the right thing. He stayed home, got healthy and came out after the break on fire. Where would the Wings be now without Franzen?

I see the national pride angle, but the NHL is the one paying their salaries. I agree that the NHL shouldn't participate. I think the Martin St. Louis situation didn't help things any. While it may have not been the sole reason, his Olympic "snub" directly affected his NHL status. That shouldn't happen.

I do appreciate all that they've given to the Wings, but it isn't like they've done it on a volunteer basis. They've been well compensated by the NHL, not by the SEL or the KHL.

Again, if he should have not played because he gets paid by the Wings, how little would he have to make for it to be okay for him to play for his country? Where's the break even point so that we can determine how much his national pride is worth?

One peeve of mine is referencing Fedorov's contract situation as a "holdout". It wasn't a holdout. To me a holdout is when you fail to report to work because you want to change the terms of your contract. Sergei didn't have a contract at the time so he was under no obligation to report to camp or play or whatever. He and the team couldn't come to terms on a deal.

Again, if he should have not played because he gets paid by the Wings, how little would he have to make for it to be okay for him to play for his country? Where's the break even point so that we can determine how much his national pride is worth?

Where was his national pride last year when he had to opportunity to go back to his homeland, be with his daughter and his family? He chose to stay in the NHL for 3 more years. Seems like he's kind of picking and choosing when to have "national pride".

He was too injured to play for the Wings but wasn't too injured to play for Team Russia. It's definitely changed how I feel about Datsyuk.

I don't see how choosing to stay in the NHL vs. KHL illustrates national pride or lack thereof. At that point it is likely a business and personal decision.

The Olympics are an unpaid exhibition that take up a few weeks once every four years and carry a fair amount of prestige to boot. Hardly similar to taking on a long term contract.

Where was his national pride last year when he had to opportunity to go back to his homeland, be with his daughter and his family? He chose to stay in the NHL for 3 more years. Seems like he's kind of picking and choosing when to have "national pride".

He was too injured to play for the Wings but wasn't too injured to play for Team Russia. It's definitely changed how I feel about Datsyuk.

So, you aren't going to answer the question either?

So, you aren't going to answer the question either?

I don't really even get what the question is. I don't care if he's being paid 5 thousand or 5 million by the Red Wings. I'd feel that way if he was a fourth line player, the fact he's one of the top players in the NHL just magnifies it. He has a contract with the Red Wings and they should be his first priority, end of story. If he was like Tavares and was perfectly healthy and went over there and got injured, I wouldn't be happy about it, but it'd be a little easier to understand. There is no way playing on a knee injury will make it better. He's not a stupid guy, he knew that. He didn't care. Why should he? He's still collecting a paycheck from the Red Wings. It's great he's got Russian pride, but a little Red Wing pride and loyalty would have been nice too. I know the streak had to come to an end, all streaks do. But it shouldn't have been this year because our two best players didn't feel like the Red Wings were important enough to them.