michblk

Where do you get your Hall of Fame Autographs

I've been collecting since the early 80's. Back in the heyday, 80's-90's, Detroit and Toledo shows used to get the top Hall of Fame players.

Since bringing in the greats seems to be very limited these days, where do most people obtain them from? I know Chicago still puts on good shows. Just a curiosity.

Brian K

Honestly it's quite limited. Unless it's a Detroit HOFer we've all seen before (Ted Lindsay, Gordie, Al Kaline, etc). Gibraltar used to get all the great hockey HOFers and they drew well with most of them. They didn't get as many baseball guys but the ones they did get always did well. I've been saying for awhile that DC needs to start doing guys like Johnny Bench, Steve Carlton, Fisk, etc. etc. If a guy hasn't been around here at all or in a very long time, they generally do quite well. I'd also love to see them bring back the type of hockey hofers Gibraltar used to do. Aside from Bobby Hull (who does great every time), they haven't really brought any in, outside of Red Wing guys. My collection was really created from the Gibraltar and Goalie's Den shows. Now if I want somebody I generally have to do mail order to a promoter somewhere else. It's unfortunate, but I don't have the time in my schedule to be running all over the country after these guys. I'd much rather meet them than do mail order, but that's the way it is. Unfortunately, the Toledo market basically died with the old Gladieux shows in the 80s, which were always great.

I can virtually guarantee DC that if they bring in a guy like a beliveau or a Glenn Hall, they'll sell out like crazy. Unfortunately, it appears those guys may not be traveling anymore. Hall never liked to fly and he lives in the middle of saskatchawan somewhere. Believeau doesn't appear to leave the montreal area very often anymore. But the more modern day hockey and baseball hofers go all over the country, so it seems like we should be able to get them here in the Detroit area, too.

As to the Chicago shows, I went to one about 4 years ago. It was good, but prices were very high. Unfortunately, work and family commitments don't allow me to get there for their shows anymore.

I'm not into football very much, but if you are, there is a blowout HOFer show coming up in Cleveland in May. Something like 100 HOFers signing.

Edited by stanpapi

Depending on what you like to get signed, there still are a handful of HoFers who sign through the mail. Reference SportsCollectors.net for signing habits and fees. The SCN annual fee is well worth the amount of information on there.

I want to piggyback on what Davidsb said. SCN is a great data base; they list successes, addresses and response times of players. As far as HOFers that sign through the mail I had pretty good success with Jim Bunning.