hueytaxi

Gun Legislation, Crime and Events

a NY AG is seeking to break up the NRA and nobody has posted anything here about it. 

Maybe its beyond time.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

a NY AG is seeking to break up the NRA and nobody has posted anything here about it. 

Maybe its beyond time.

I posted about it over at October Surprise because I think it will be an election issue, and I was just saying it’s a good thing she didn’t drop this news in late October. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I posted about it over at October Surprise because I think it will be an election issue, and I was just saying it’s a good thing she didn’t drop this news in late October. 

Good point!

Interesting

NRA is sitting on its cash until after November for its own graft?

I hope they burn down the Kenosha Police headquarters............burn it to the ground.     Surprise the RNC hasn't asked the Kenosha cops to speak at the convention this week.  

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hope they burn down the Kenosha Police headquarters............burn it to the ground.     Surprise the RNC hasn't asked the Kenosha cops to speak at the convention this week.  

Definitely.  Shoot the guy in the back? 

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So far seems to be mostly downtown businesses and vehicles they are burning down.  Appears the courthouse was vandalized as well.

14 minutes ago, Melody said:

So far seems to be mostly downtown businesses and vehicles they are burning down.  Appears the courthouse was vandalized as well.

In other words, it's a "peaceful protest"....🤦‍♂️

No that doesn't sound like a peaceful protest to me.

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

In other words, it's a "peaceful protest"....🤦‍♂️

Their local newspaper described it as, "civil unrest" in their headline.    Sad descriptions of the damage:  the high school, the post office, a dinosaur museum, businesses vandalized and looted ...  https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/kenosha-residents-local-government-cleaning-up-in-aftermath-of-civil-unrest/article_2c0cafd8-e6d3-5526-9bd5-6a09a4e8ed6b.html

The Grand Jury announcement in the Breonna Taylor case is coming at 1:30.   Business and buildings all over Louisville have boarded up their windows. 

I don't think any chargers will be pressed against the cops.   Not any meaningful ones anyway.   They will say her boyfriend shot first so everything was fair game. 

But let me ask you this.........in the history of home invasions has a crook ever pounded on a door saying they were the Police?   Nah, that probably NEVER happens

And I know that they have been trying to smear her and saying she's involved with drugs............but let's say she was............that still doesn't give them the right to burst into her house and kill her when she was sleeping.   

I hope this goes the right way, because all **** could be breaking loose in Louisville 30 minutes from now.   And I know justice should never be administered based on a possible reaction to that decision, but I don't know how a young woman dies here, in her own home, guilty of nothing and nobody is held responsible.  

There was a cop who was at a club and tried to do a breakdancing move and his gun fell out of his pocket and fired...........That's what Wanton Endangerment is.    Firing a gun into the air on New Year's Eve is Wanton Endangerment.    A woman died here.  Nobody tried to help her as she laid there bleeding.   As far as the idea that her boyfriend fired first - you busted into his house, he had a right to defend his castle (well, if he was white he would have that right).    The idea that saying your the Police allows you to get away with this is ridiculous.  

This was the biggest chicken**** cop out they could have come up with.   Even if he's found guilty, he won't do jail time for this charge.   

I don't believe the word Homicide was even mentioned.   

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Since Grand Jury proceedings are secret, you can't know that.  And you can't know what evidence they were given access to that has not been made public to the press.

The family has already accepted a $12M settlement.  I wonder if the language of that had an impact on the charges.  

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There was a cop who was at a club and tried to do a breakdancing move and his gun fell out of his pocket and fired...........That's what Wanton Endangerment is.    Firing a gun into the air on New Year's Eve is Wanton Endangerment.    A woman died here.  Nobody tried to help her as she laid there bleeding.   As far as the idea that her boyfriend fired first - you busted into his house, he had a right to defend his castle (well, if he was white he would have that right).    The idea that saying your the Police allows you to get away with this is ridiculous.  

This was the biggest chicken**** cop out they could have come up with.   Even if he's found guilty, he won't do jail time for this charge.   

His bail was set at $15,000.  

Turns out this indictment isn’t even for anything to do with her murder.  It was for firing into a neighboring apartment.   

The Grand Jury must not have agreed that there was a murder.   Though I don't suppose that a failure to indict necessarily means that, only that the testimony submitted didn't support an indictment.  I can't imagine a reason why it can't be revisited down the road if the prosecutor comes up with enough fresh information to support presenting it again to the grand jury.

I don't know much about criminal laws.   But as I understand the grand jury system, we may never know the reasoning they used.

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought once a grand jury declines to indict they can't try it again?

I don't think that is right.   Grand jury just decides whether to indict on various charges, not guilt or innocence.  The prosecutor can go back later if new evidence comes up.

But sometimes, it is a tragedy and a civil not criminal matter.   Looks like the family got civil justice, i.e. the $12M settlement.  Sounds like maybe it was decided that it was the system, not the individual officers, who erred and led to the shooting.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Why aren’t these guys classified as terrorists?

Are they committing a crime in that video?  

We had some BLM protests at a Whataburger in my neighborhood.  There were members of the particular subgroup there armed with rifles as "security," for the protesters.  They weren't committing a crime in our state, not pointing them at people or vehicles for example.  And the police treated them accordingly: let them be until and unless they did use the weapons in an illegal manner.   

There never was any problem at that particular protest.  They did their thing, everybody else in the neighborhood ignored the activity.   It was over a silly personnel matter at the store where an employee, subsequent to a customer complaint, was asked to wear a different mask because of a customer complaint about her BLM mask.   The store manager had been kind of lax about enforcing the company rule about "plain black masks," only.  I mean, the dining room wasn't even open and he didn't really care what they wore on their faces that wasn't obscene including the BLM mask.  But once there is a complaint to corporate, everybody in an other than plain black mask could no longer wear their favorite NBA team or Mexican colors or whatever.  And everybody except her just changed masks, but she quit rather than do it.  (It was her first job.)  Said in an interview that she was going to get a better paying job where she could wear what she wants.  Hope she has luck with that.

29 minutes ago, Melody said:

I don't think that is right.   Grand jury just decides whether to indict on various charges, not guilt or innocence.  The prosecutor can go back later if new evidence comes up.

agree. The process to charge is always open  - there is nothing like a double jeopardy clause for how many times you can be investigated for the same crime. It is possible some GJ processes have internal rules about not going back over old ground within that particular process, but a prosecutor isn't bound by the negative actions of any particular GJ once it's over. He can always re-start an investigation with or w/o another GJ.

• Thanks 1