hueytaxi

Gun Legislation, Crime and Events

The results are in for a year already. If someone can provide info of homicide or gun crime increasing following easing of concealed carry I am open to learn.

How can a year of data be in when the policy change happened in January 2014?

How can a year of data be in when the policy change happened in January 2014?

More data here, not limited to Chicago of course:

Question: What does the title mean: More Guns, Less Crime?

John R. Lott, Jr.: States with the largest increases in gun ownership also have the largest drops in violent crimes. Thirty-one states now have such laws—called “shall-issue” laws. These laws allow adults the right to carry concealed handguns if they do not have a criminal record or a history of significant mental illness.

Question: It just seems to defy common sense that crimes likely to involve guns would be reduced by allowing more people to carry guns. How do you explain the results?

Lott: Criminals are deterred by higher penalties. Just as higher arrest and conviction rates deter crime, so does the risk that someone committing a crime will confront someone able to defend him or herself. There is a strong negative relationship between the number of law-abiding citizens with permits and the crime rate—as more people obtain permits there is a greater decline in violent crime rates. For each additional year that a concealed handgun law is in effect the murder rate declines by 3 percent, rape by 2 percent, and robberies by over 2 percent.

Concealed handgun laws reduce violent crime for two reasons. First, they reduce the number of attempted crimes because criminals are uncertain which potential victims can defend themselves. Second, victims who have guns are in a much better position to defend themselves.

Much more at the link......

Interview with John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime

And another:

A study published in the latest issue of the academic journal Applied Economics Letters took on many of the claims made regularly by advocates of stricter gun laws. The study determined that nearly every claim made in support of stronger restrictions on gun ownership is not supported by an exhaustive analysis of crime statistics.

The study, “An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates,” conducted by Quinnipiac University economist Mark Gius, examined nearly 30 years of statistics and concluded that stricter gun laws do not result in a reduction in gun violence. In fact, Gius found the opposite – that a proliferation of concealed carry permits can actually reduce incidents of gun crime.

New Study Demolishes Almost Every Gun Control Myth | Mediaite

The American way. Fight violence with violence. Meanwhile, numerous countries have much lower violent crime rates with strict gun control.

The American way. Fight violence with violence. Meanwhile, numerous countries have much lower violent crime rates with strict gun control.

That is because other countries fight freedom with common sense... that doesn't work in the U.S.

I don't believe gun control enters into their lesser violence.

I don't believe gun control enters into their lesser violence.

So it's just coincidence that these countries with low violent crime rates just happen to have strict gun control laws.

That is because other countries fight freedom with common sense... that doesn't work in the U.S.
I'm trying to make sense out of this phrase.

So it's just coincidence that these countries with low violent crime rates just happen to have strict gun control laws.
I believe their values of life are quite different.

like, they value life more than guns?

So you're saying that if these countries were flooded with handguns that the violent crime wouldn't increase?

So you're saying that if these countries were flooded with handguns that the violent crime wouldn't increase?
Let's make a deal...accept what I write and don't suggest what I mean. I'll respect your opinions the same way. To analyze your question, I didn't suggest that at all, I opined their values are different than ours.

trying to make sense out of this... other countries have values? why don't we?

That's not data, that's some biased dude telling us numbers

Well he is using crime statistics, so you must want better data. What's your opinion on the other study I linked? I'm trying to sate your thirst for knowledge here so I need to know what you're looking for if not crime statistics?

but not Wreckless Eric?

LOL, haven't heard that name for a while - I once worked security at a Textones/Wreckless Eric/Ramones show.

Numerous homogeneous countries have lower violent crime rates. Gun control has nothing to do with it.

LOL, haven't heard that name for a while - I once worked security at a Textones/Wreckless Eric/Ramones show.

Everyone love the Ramones. I went to see Joe Jackson in Ann Arbor... we were there to see Jackson and didn't even know who the opening act was... or if there was an opening act.. When we drove by the theater there were about 10 Ramone wanna bes there.. and we looked at each other... are we here on the right day or right place.

Well they played and you couldn't understand a word they said, but when a guy came out with a mask and a sign that said "gabba hey" We were afraid the sound would be bad and too loud for Joe Jackson, but it wasn't and it was a great concert...

edit: btw, I don't know who did security, but in that situation, there were a lot of people there I was hoping didn't have a concealed weapon

Numerous homogeneous countries have lower violent crime rates. Gun control has nothing to do with it.

that is a theory... only way to prove a theory is to experiment... let's see if gun control (with funding) turns us into a homogeneous country.

I have to say when someone suggest only homogeneous countries don't need guns --- sounds a bit racist.. and I know you didn't mean it that way... just sounds as if you have a multiculture country, you have violence

Gun control does have something to do with it.

So if its because we're a heterogeneous society, then should we have a very high level of interracial crime?

that is a theory... only way to prove a theory is to experiment... let's see if gun control (with funding) turns us into a homogeneous country.

I don't think there's a way to prove a theory. You can only fail to disprove it.

Yes shabba, that's semantics. but important.

Everyone love the Ramones. I went to see Joe Jackson in Ann Arbor... we were there to see Jackson and didn't even know who the opening act was... or if there was an opening act.. When we drove by the theater there were about 10 Ramone wanna bes there.. and we looked at each other... are we here on the right day or right place.

Well they played and you couldn't understand a word they said, but when a guy came out with a mask and a sign that said "gabba hey" We were afraid the sound would be bad and too loud for Joe Jackson, but it wasn't and it was a great concert...

edit: btw, I don't know who did security, but in that situation, there were a lot of people there I was hoping didn't have a concealed weapon

I loved the Ramones and was excited to see them, it turned out to be less than ideal. A HOT May day inside and I was working between the barrier and the stage. Of course they all had heavy leathers on and were sweating profusely, so I spent roughly an hour getting showered with various Ramones sweat.

I loved the Ramones and was excited to see them, it turned out to be less than ideal. A HOT May day inside and I was working between the barrier and the stage. Of course they all had heavy leathers on and were sweating profusely, so I spent roughly an hour getting showered with various Ramones sweat.

that is the name of my punk band "Ramone Sweat"

That is the worse place to be for a concert. I was at the stage for an X concert... like able to touch Exene's shoes close

It was the worse sound ever... until the last five sounds when I moved back into the theatre...regretting I didn't do that sooner

the best place for sound is almost always right in front of the soundboard. I used to tape a lot of shows, and that's where it's at.

Most of the time in smaller clubs you want to be at the point of an isosceles triangle where 2 points are the main PA speakers, and the 3rd point is you.