hueytaxi

Gun Legislation, Crime and Events

G2, I only wish to comment on your terms of " high rate of fire high volume magazine weapon". The rate of fire of an old West six shooter is the same as the AK-47 available for normal purchase; one squeeze of the trigger = one bullet fired. But you knew that.

Can you also easily modify the six shooter to operate in full auto?

Can you also easily modify the six shooter to operate in full auto?
Do you know how to transform a SAR-1 into an AK-47 "easily"? The point is really , neither is fully automatic and yes I could modify the SAR-1, but the risk is far too great. Also purchasing the parts is almost impossible now. Ten years ago that was not true on parts kits. Many weapons can be modified to full auto, but you lose fire control so the weapon will fire until the ammunition is spent. Not too practical. People like to mention a kit called Slam Fire to convert to almost full auto. In reality to use the device, you lose aim control. You know weapons probably better than I so your question surprises me.

Edit: I realized I took the bait. When in the statistical world, long guns account for less than 3% of homicides and fully automatic weapons don't even rate a spot in the spreadsheet the incidents are so rare. So the attempted point is rather inane.

Edited by hueytaxi

G2, I only wish to comment on your terms of " high rate of fire high volume magazine weapon". The rate of fire of an old West six shooter is the same as the AK-47 available for normal purchase; one squeeze of the trigger = one bullet fired. But you knew that.

True - I was not very specific but was actually thinking full auto - which in theory we know is not available but some on the fringier side either argue for or try to modify or go black market to achieve. I'm happy to see from you post that is getting more difficult.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I was actually thinking full auto - which in theory is not available but some on the fringier side either argue for or modify or black market to achieve.
Certainly in the range of the fringe element, but I would think unlikely. I have an acquaintance who is extraordinarily wealthy who has the proper licensing for a fully auto weapon. He also recently purchased a .50 cal Barrett with a full pallet of ammo. He does work part time with a local S.O.

Do you know how to transform a SAR-1 into an AK-47 "easily"? The point is really , neither is fully automatic and yes I could modify the SAR-1, but the risk is far too great. Also purchasing the parts is almost impossible now. Ten years ago that was not true on parts kits. Many weapons can be modified to full auto, but you lose fire control so the weapon will fire until the ammunition is spent. Not too practical. People like to mention a kit called Slam Fire to convert to almost full auto. In reality to use the device, you lose aim control. You know weapons probably better than I so your question surprises me.

Edit: I realized I took the bait. When in the statistical world, long guns account for less than 3% of homicides and fully automatic weapons don't even rate a spot in the spreadsheet the incidents are so rare. So the attempted point is rather inane.

It wasn't bait. Just trying to illustrate that there is a bigger difference between the two than the rate of fire. You did a decent job of furthering that point. If we want to talk about loss of control, have you ever tried to fire a double action revolver at a high rate of fire with any accuracy? Its not so easy.

Certainly in the range of the fringe element, but I would think unlikely. I have an acquaintance who is extraordinarily wealthy who has the proper licensing for a fully auto weapon. He also recently purchased a .50 cal Barrett with a full pallet of ammo. He does work part time with a local S.O.

Those are a lot of fun, though I do not know why you would ever shoot one at full auto. It kind of defeats the purpose.

Those are a lot of fun, though I do not know why you would ever shoot one at full auto. It kind of defeats the purpose.

two different things.

two different things.

I guess that I did not read it that way, but I suppose you are correct.

FTR, there are few things that bring more joy than firing a full auto weapon.

I guess that I did not read it that way, but I suppose you are correct.

FTR, there are few things that bring more joy than firing a full auto weapon.

When at the range i was always filled with angst about having to police up all the brass. But fun to do.

I carried a M2 carbine at one time after attempting to use a Thompson or M3 greasegun as a door gun. The carbine allowed me to use it one handed on full auto relatively easy, but it was still an "area fire" weapon. The other two were uncontrolable one handed. I rarely used the carbine unless a convoy came under fire. I wasn't a gun ship nor was that my purpose.

When at the range i was always filled with angst about having to police up all the brass. But fun to do.

Ah, you have to police for brass anyway, you might as well have something to pick up. When I carried an M-240G, the brass usually stayed in a neatish pile, with the exception of the few strays that made their way down my sleeves or into the neck of my flak jacket.

I carried a M2 carbine at one time after attempting to use a Thompson or M3 greasegun as a door gun. The carbine allowed me to use it one handed on full auto relatively easy, but it was still an "area fire" weapon. The other two were uncontrolable one handed. I rarely used the carbine unless a convoy came under fire. I wasn't a gun ship nor was that my purpose.

The Barretts are good for long range precision shooting, not area firing. I was a mortar man, so I did area fire a different way. :)

Ah, you have to police for brass anyway, you might as well have something to pick up. When I carried an M-240G, the brass usually stayed in a neatish pile, with the exception of the few strays that made their way down my sleeves or into the neck of my flak jacket.

No more awesome feeling than firing the German MG3 (based on the WWII MG42 but chambered with nato 7.62mm rounds). The recoil is not absorbed much...so it all goes into your shoulder and the rate of fire is legendary. However, then the grind of picking up all that brass. Still, I was ranked in the top of the German army standard for accuracy with that bad boy so it was a good day ended with many beers in a tent. Comparing that to the M60 made me feel bad for the M60. The M2 .50 was heroic..but in a different way. You had to be a hero to lift that SOB up onto a vehicle. Barrel, receiver and mount all insanely heavy. Put your hand in between a falling one and the top of an M113 and the M2 will win and your hand will lose.

No more awesome feeling than firing the German MG3 (based on the WWII MG42 but chambered with nato 7.62mm rounds). The recoil is not absorbed much...so it all goes into your shoulder and the rate of fire is legendary. However, then the grind of picking up all that brass. Still, I was ranked in the top of the German army standard for accuracy with that bad boy so it was a good day ended with many beers in a tent. Comparing that to the M60 made me feel bad for the M60. The M2 .50 was heroic..but in a different way. You had to be a hero to lift that SOB up onto a vehicle. Barrel, receiver and mount all insanely heavy. Put your hand in between a falling one and the top of an M113 and the M2 will win and your hand will lose.

The 240G is the modern equivalent of the M-60. I have put 14000 rounds through one and only had 2 jams, and those were both spent brass that stovepiped. That was quite impressive. The flex mount on the tripods also gave a fairly small grouping at high rates of fire. I carried one as my personal weapon in lieu of an M-16 for my first 8 months in the fleet. My "a-gunner" couldn't hump his own cammies, let alone a barrel bag, so I usually had to carry the whole weapon and part of an 81 mortar. It builds character.

My favorite weapon to shoot was the MK-19. I was a team leader for a bit during an assignment with a HQ company. I liked those much better mounted in an Amtrak turret. Easier on the back.

I agree, the AWB was very effective.

AWB! I love those guys!

MfAJLGFWxYo

The 240G is the modern equivalent of the M-60. I have put 14000 rounds through one and only had 2 jams, and those were both spent brass that stovepiped. That was quite impressive. The flex mount on the tripods also gave a fairly small grouping at high rates of fire. I carried one as my personal weapon in lieu of an M-16 for my first 8 months in the fleet. My "a-gunner" couldn't hump his own cammies, let alone a barrel bag, so I usually had to carry the whole weapon and part of an 81 mortar. It builds character.

My favorite weapon to shoot was the MK-19. I was a team leader for a bit during an assignment with a HQ company. I liked those much better mounted in an Amtrak turret. Easier on the back.

The mk 19 seemed cool. I think I only saw that one live a few times. Once you get to vehicle sized anything it becomes too awesome for unprotected ears.

The mk 19 seemed cool. I think I only saw that one live a few times. Once you get to vehicle sized anything it becomes too awesome for unprotected ears.

I was a Marine, so a lot of that vehicle sized stuff was still transported by foot anyway. I still remember those days when I am struggling to get around and my fellow eggheads give me crap about getting old.

I was a Marine, so a lot of that vehicle sized stuff was still transported by foot anyway. I still remember those days when I am struggling to get around and my fellow eggheads give me crap about getting old.

Radios (fm, UHF VHF hf ) on my back and through any terrain plus weapon and gear

Radios (fm, UHF VHF hf ) on my back and through any terrain plus weapon and gear

I usually only had to carry one of those when I'd FO, but that meant no crew serves, so it was welcome.

I usually only had to carry one of those when I'd FO, but that meant no crew serves, so it was welcome.

the other, super annoying thing we had to do...remoting radios. When we got fiber optic remote cable, it meant, somehow not having that cable pierced by razor wire over a span of several hundred meters through a BN TOC. They don't put that or cleaning the field latrine in the recruiting video.

The one thing that I observe as i discuss the weapons I messed with in the military is how little I miss them. I also don't miss rucking it in the field. I'm not a hobbyist camper or a shooter though i was "good" at it when i was a pro shooter and camper.

I probably do miss the part of things where I communicated and directed air strikes and arty a bit more...because that's effecting real change.

I own guns more for the political statement than for the comfort of having them when things go south.

Suspended State Senator Leland Yee's Defense May Be Funded By Campaign Contributions

Wow. So evidently Leland Yee is going to be permitted to use the funds he raised for his CA Secretary of State campaign to pay his legal fees.

That's interesting. It has been reported that he was in debt by $70K or more from his failed bid to get elected as the mayor of SF.

I know he has been raising funds for a run at the Secretary of State, but I'm not sure what that amounts to. As if his legal problems are anyway related to his running for office.

That's interesting. It has been reported that he was in debt by $70K or more from his failed bid to get elected as the mayor of SF.

I know he has been raising funds for a run at the Secretary of State, but I'm not sure what that amounts to. As if his legal problems are anyway related to his running for office.

If I was a donor, I'd be PO'd.