hueytaxi

Gun Legislation, Crime and Events

Walked into a room today with more then 20 guns in it and not one of them shot me (wipes brow and gives sign of the cross).

glad to hear.

Why are .22 rounds so hard to find?

Because they are so small.

Seriously ... Guy at Gander Mountain in Novi said that .22 was hard to keep in stock because people were hoarding it. When I asked why he gave me an ominous look. His nostrils flared and his eyes narrowed. "Mister....I don't know how they do things in Virginia...but you should take your kids and get out before your questions get us all in trouble".

The hoarding is part of it. Other factors are the higher cost of larger ammunition is having owners use the smaller caliber to keep in practice. Also there has been an increase in small bore target shooting nationwide causing demand.

The hoarding is part of it. Other factors are the higher cost of larger ammunition is having owners use the smaller caliber to keep in practice. Also there has been an increase in small bore target shooting nationwide causing demand.

Guy asked I was going to teach the kids firearms safety. I said "you ask a lot of questions"

Guy asked I was going to teach the kids firearms safety. I said "you ask a lot of questions"
I've refused many requests for instruction. I will show safety using unloaded weapons, but not live fire.

I've refused many requests for instruction. I will show safety using unloaded weapons, but not live fire.

Like anything, if its too much work, I grow annoyed. I want the Apple version of firearms. I don't want the Microsoft version. While there is a part of me that enjoys the historicity of certain weapons. i'm not that enamored of my power tools to ritualize them. I just want them to work and i get mad when they don't.

That said, I will inculcate the little knuckleheads properly in the respect and care of firearms

We're not coming for your guns! No we will just price them out of your grasp and then demand you retrofit your old firearms to comply.

[h=2]Holder: We Want to Explore Gun Tracking Bracelets[/h] DOJ requesting $2 million for ‘Gun Safety Technology’ grants

Holder: We Want to Explore Gun Tracking Bracelets | Washington Free Beacon

Why are .22 rounds so hard to find?

You need to develop a relationship with the local walmart sporting goods clerk. I got a heads up that they had .22LR come in and would be out on Monday mid-morning. I couldn't take advantage of that because I have to work... but that is about the only way you can buy any right now without paying 15 cents/round or more.

You can't even backorder on Midway or anything. Not backordering last December when they were accepting those orders was a mistake.

You need to develop a relationship with the local walmart sporting goods clerk. I got a heads up that they had .22LR come in and would be out on Monday mid-morning. I couldn't take advantage of that because I have to work... but that is about the only way you can buy any right now without paying 15 cents/round or more.

You can't even backorder on Midway or anything. Not backordering last December when they were accepting those orders was a mistake.

Traveling

It is far to early to call Illinois in a trend but early results are promising. In January Illinois joined the rest of the nation in allowing concealed carry permitted weapons. Did Illinois suddenly find more blood filling the gutters because of this freedom? Did the press place headlines about the results? You really know nothing about the results so far. How about the first three months delivering a 9% drop in Chicago murders since the same term in 2013 and 55 fewer than 2012. 90 fewer shootings and 119 fewer victims Crime down 25% and over 1,300 illegal guns recovered.

What Happened to Chicago’s Murder Rate After Illinois Upheld Concealed Carry and Why it Matters

My 1851 replica "six shooter" is an old fashioned "cap and ball" which requires an explosive cap to ignite the loose powder charge which will propel a round ball down the barrel toward the target. I had never fired this handgun. While I have researched the proper methods and safety regarding this weapon, tonight I decided to load it with the "caps" and fire only that. I was surprised it was still as loud as my .22 pistol. I did not fire successive chambers concerned my neighbors would hear and worry.

It is far to early to call Illinois in a trend but early results are promising. In January Illinois joined the rest of the nation in allowing concealed carry permitted weapons. Did Illinois suddenly find more blood filling the gutters because of this freedom? Did the press place headlines about the results? You really know nothing about the results so far. How about the first three months delivering a 9% drop in Chicago murders since the same term in 2013 and 55 fewer than 2012. 90 fewer shootings and 119 fewer victims Crime down 25% and over 1,300 illegal guns recovered.

What Happened to Chicago’s Murder Rate After Illinois Upheld Concealed Carry and Why it Matters

You know what else happened in that quarter?

The worst winter in decades.

You know what else happened in that quarter?

The worst winter in decades.

So you might suggest that cold weather is a deterrent to homicide? Interested to see the numbers on that, though I admit you might have a valid point. We'll standby for the 2nd quarter results.

So you might suggest that cold weather is a deterrent to homicide? Interested to see the numbers on that, though I admit you might have a valid point. We'll standby for the 2nd quarter results.

For a change like this, I think you really need to sit back and look at numbers in a year or two. I don't think this can be confirmed in quarters. Weather is a big variable, and at the same time, I expect we'll see a few others that can be legitimately pointed out on both sides over the next year or two.

For a change like this, I think you really need to sit back and look at numbers in a year or two. I don't think this can be confirmed in quarters. Weather is a big variable, and at the same time, I expect we'll see a few others that can be legitimately pointed out on both sides over the next year or two.
The results are in for a year already. If someone can provide info of homicide or gun crime increasing following easing of concealed carry I am open to learn.

The results are in for a year already. If someone can provide info of homicide or gun crime increasing following easing of concealed carry I am open to learn.

Pull up a comfortable chair. All data that's out there points to the opposite effect.

You know what else happened in that quarter? The worst winter in decades.

That's impossible given global warming. ;-)

Oh that's right it's only weather when it's cold or wet.

That's impossible given global warming. ;-)

Oh that's right it's only weather when it's cold or wet.

Similarly, the existence of ignorance proves that information doesn't exist

Yes, that is my point.