Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

The 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

Is Bylsma here to coach or to spectate?

The team hasn't scored in 5 periods and he's done nothing to his lines. He should've started mixing things up in the last period.

Rout is on. 4-0 Finland midway through the 3rd. With 10 minutes left in game, the Americans have gone 128 minutes without scoring since early in the 3rd versus Czech. Do the Finns ever lose a bronze medal game?

Finns win bronze, 5-0. With Sweden and Canada assured of medals this year, here are number of medals won in the 5 Olympics of the 1998-2014 best-on-best era:

- Finland 4

- Canada 3

- Sweden 2

- Czech 2

- USA 2

- Russia 2

Crucial third period to salvage the tournament and USA comes out and takes 4 penalties.

Nice discipline. Bylsma, Laviolette, Granato, and Richards all get F's.

One positive of this being the last Olympics with NHL players means none of these guys will ever be given another shot on the bench for Team USA.

I guess our guys just wanted to get home. That was an embarrassment.

Don't worry guys, you won't have to be bothered with this thing in four years.

Crosby with the breakaway goal. 2-0 Canada after 2. If Canada keeps playing the same way for 1 more period I like their chances.

3-0 Canada on a Kunitz goal. 10 minutes to go. Sweden onto the powerplay, probably their last chance to get back in it. But they would need to score as many goals in the next 10 minutes as Canada has given up all tournament.

Backstrom got screwed. He better at least be allowed to get his silver medal.

2014 Sochi Olympics - The drug-testing process failed Sweden's Nicklas Backstrom - ESPN

A typical psuedofed is 30 mg = 30*10^3 ug. If Backstom's blood volume is 6 liters (we'll ignore tissue take up and assume 100% bioavailability and zero metabolized before the test for a 1st approx), then that is 6*10^3 ml

that gives 30*10^3/6*10^3 = 5 ug/ml.

I don't see how you get to 190 ug/ml on a typical allergy dose. Probably the story has one of the units wrong - which would be typical. If not, then he was a lot more hopped up than just to keep his nose clear.

Edited by Gehringer_2

A typical psuedofed is 30 mg = 30*10^3 ug. If Backstom's blood volume is 6 liters (we'll ignore tissue take up and assume 100% bioavailability and zero metabolized before the test for a 1st approx), then that is 6*10^3 ml

that gives 30*10^3/6*10^3 = 5 ug/ml.

I don't see how you get to 190 ug/ml on a typical allergy dose. Probably the story has one of the units wrong - which would be typical. If not, then he was a lot more hopped up than just to keep his nose clear.

Thanks, good contribution. Here's a post from HF Boards that might be saying something similar:

Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds - Part II - HFBoards

I posted this in the other thread

But people seem to have missed it. I'm not sure how this relates to URINE samples, but here are my calculations:

Zyrtec D contains 120mg of pseudoephedrine per pill. The recommended maximum dosage is 2 pills per 12 hours, so 240mg per max dosage.

The half-life of pseudoephedrine is 4-8 hours and elimination time from the body is 5-6 half-lives, so pseudoephedrine leaves your system in about 20-48 hours assuming you don’t have a pre-existing condition that effects your blood cycling.

The body is roughly 7.4% blood, such that a 70kg person likely has 5.2L of blood, so Nicklas Backstrom, at 95kg (though he’s got more muscle mass than an average person, so the estimate is likely on the high end), probably has at most 7L of blood (probably a bit less).

Half-life calculations are simple…

N_t = N_0 * (1/2) ^ (t / t_h)

where

N_t = amount remaining

N_0 = initial amount

t = time

t_h = halflife

So, using that formula and assuming worst-case elimination time and long-lasting pseudo, within a 48 hour span, if Backstrom had taken the recommended dosage, he would have in his blood at the HIGH-END of estimates… 240mg (immediate dosage before slovenia game and subsequent test + 85mg (12 hours prior) + 30mg (24 hours prior), + 11mg (36 hours), + 4mg (48 hours) = 370milligrams on the high-end estimate assuming PROPER dosage.

370mg/7000mL of blood = .05286 milligrams per mL which is 52.86 MICROGRAMS/mL. The olympic limit is 150 micrograms/mL.

Even assuming Backstrom had average blood for an average 70kg male, he should have at that point just 72 micrograms/mL of blood.

I’m not trying to say he cheated, but the numbers are pretty staggering. To get 190 micrograms per mL, he would have had to have been taking nearly quadruple the dosage if properly scheduled 12 hrs apart.

Even if he was maybe taking 2 of them every 4 hours…

240 + 170 + 120 + 85 + 60 + 43 + 30 + 21 + 15 + 11 + 8 + 5 + 4 = 704mg

AND if he had only 5.2L (average for 70kg not 95kg like backstrom) of blood, it’d still only be 135.4 micrograms/mL of blood.

Thanks, good contribution. Here's a post from HF Boards that might be saying something similar:

Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds - Part II - HFBoards

In any OTC with with 120 mg of pseudofed it is probably compounded for time release which complicates a good calculation a little more. Too much PS hitting the system too fast will spike your BP, which is clearly not a good idea.

Personally, taking 240 mg of psuedofed in 24 hrs would give me a hell of a rebound within just a day or two - not something I would do therapeutically - doctor's advice or not - but I grant on that score individual MMV.