Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

The 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

TJ Oshie wins it! What an entertaining shootout. Although I don't really like how in international hockey you can choose the same shooter over and over again.

I do. If a game is going to be decided by a skills competition, I want to see the best players do it.

I didn't realize pool play had shootouts. I though only elimination rounds did. Curious if the IOC will change the tournament format if the NHL doesn't go in 2018. I always got the impression the IOC was not impressed with the NHL's demands.

I do. If a game is going to be decided by a skills competition, I want to see the best players do it.

If there needs to be a shootout in international play, I'd go the other way, especially in elimination games. 5 or 7 rounds instead of3, no player can shoot more than once. Increases importance of depth.

Switzerland has now played three 1-0 games. Won 2 of them, including today over the Czech Republic.

Sweden scored an insurance goal late to beat Latvia 5-3.

USA wins again, this time 5-1. Phil kessel had a hat trick to give him 4 goals in the tournament thus far.

USA over Slovenia handily 5-1 on a Kessel hat trick.

Slovakia forces Russia to a shootout with this time the Russians winning 1-0.

Final game of preliminary round is Canada-Finland starting at noon.

Edited by lordstanley

Canada wins in OT. Drew Doughty with the game winner.

That slight breeze you feel is Canada exhaling.

Edited by hail2mich

Seedings set for quarter-finals set:

#1 Sweden vs winner of #8 Slovenia/#9 Austria

# 2 USA vs winner of #7 Czech/#10 Slovakia

# 3 Canada vs winner of #6 Switzerland/#11 Latvia

# 4 Finland vs winner of #5 Russia/#12 Norway

So if favorites win it would be Sweden vs Russia and the US vs Canada in the semi-finals. Only Sweden has a gimme quarter-final though.

Sweden will play at 3am ET on Wednesday. Finland will plat 7:30am, almost certainly against Russia. The USA game will start at Noon ET. The Canada game will also start at Noon.

Slovenia with another surprise, blanking Austria 4-0. Will play Sweden tomorrow.

Norway held Russia to 2-0 until the final minute until Russia scored 2 late ones to make it 4-0 final. Radulov with 2 goals, Pavel with 3 assists.

Czech stormed to a 4-0 lead over Slovakia, the lead was down to 4-3 with 10 minutes still to go, then an empty-netter sealed it. The States need to be careful, the Czechs could give them a game.

Latvian scored 2 early goals then held on with an ENG making it 3-1 final over Switzerland. The Swiss exit scoring just 3 goals in 4 games. As much as Canadian fans were spinning the fact that Switzerland would be a good test that would help Canada get ready for the semis, most Canadians including me have to be relieved by our quarter-final opponent. A Switzerland upset of Canada would have been unlikely but not inconceivable. Now, barring the biggest upset in hockey history, Canada is in the semi-finals (as Sweden should be, given their opponent is Slovenia).

To be honest, hasn't been a great tournament so far. The USA-Russia classic being the one huge exception. Otherwise, the big ice allows lesser teams to park the bus with 5 men in front of the net the entire game, which is a smart strategy but not an entertaining one. I hope for better hockey in the quarters but don't expect better hockey until the semis. Russia-Sweden and USA-Canada would be a thrilling final four.

Russian hockey video featuring player's from this year's Olympic team, coaches and past legends. First 30 seconds cracks me up especially.

Edited by lordstanley

US had the best goal differential in the round robin and got the worst draw in the Quarters. Not even close really.