Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

The 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

I'm just happy that T&P finally gets a chance to root for a team with a chance of winning something :classic:

I think the US is poised to be the surprise team here. If the young defense can hold up they have a great mix up front with speed and toughness. Kane and Kessel are both on fire and should get even better on the big ice. Quick has been shaky this year and I cringe thinking about his puck handling on this sheet but I think he can come up big and be the final difference maker.

Think the Swedes and Russians will be tough and can't decide whether Canada's offensive firepower will be enough to overcome goaltending issues.

Gold: USA

Silver: Sweden

Bronze: Russia

U.S. looking really strong, 6-1 lead late in 2nd over Slovakia. Kessel has 2 goals and an assist. Meanwhile nervous Russia is up only 2-1 late in 2nd.

JVR also has 3 assists, 6 points combined. These two have picked up right where they left off.

I am disappointed I can't watch these games at work. LS did you wake up early just for the games? It's not even 6 am there.

I didn't set my alarm, T&P but I usually wake up around 6:30 and today happened to wake up around 5:15 instead.

Slovenia down 3-2 after 2. Varlamov has given up 2 goals on 8 shots. Kopitar playing on a line with ex-Wing Jan Mursak.

U.S. straight dominated that second period. Kessel, among others, looks fantastic. Tatar has looked good for Slovakia, and has their only goal.

I think I'm switching to the Russia game for the third period.

U.S. straight dominated that second period. Kessel, among others, looks fantastic. Tatar has looked good for Slovakia, and has their only goal.

I think I'm switching to the Russia game for the third period.

Kessel has really flipped a switch in the past 2-3 months. He has finally played with a physical edge, using his body to protect the puck and going into corners strong. Since he started doing this he has been the best player on the ice most nights. Fun to watch.

Norway holding Canada 0-0 after 1. Same as they did in the 2010 opener before Canada won 8-0. The scoreless tie so far doesn't really surprise me, but the fact that the shots are pretty much even does surprise me.

I am disappointed I can't watch these games at work. LS did you wake up early just for the games? It's not even 6 am there.

NBC is streaming them online, have you tried that?

USA looked great this morning. The played fast and smart and complementary overwhelmed a talented team. All 4 lines made things happen, no major defensive breakdowns, and Quick was solid giving up a lone goal to Tatar on a play that should've been whistled offside.

Saturday morning will be huge. Bylsma has not named his starter yet. Interested to see if he gives Miller a shot or stays with Quick.

Edited by Hongbit

Haha, Norway cuts Canada's lead to 2-1 early in 3rd. Price was dozing. Quickly back to 3-1. The oddsmakers' line was Canada by 4 1/2 goals.

These Canadian uniforms are horrible by the way. Clownish socks and a sweater logo that is near identical to that of a Canadian gas station chain.

First round of games yesterday and today played out pretty much as I expected. The US dominance over Slovakia was the only big surprise to me. I thought Canada would score more than 3 goals but the flow of play was what I expected .

I was surprised at how many empty seats there were in the arena for the US game. Announced attendance only 4100. Large blocks of blue seats could be spotted all over the arena. I wonder if this will continue to be a trend for the entire tournament.

I was surprised at how many empty seats there were in the arena for the US game. Announced attendance only 4100. Large blocks of blue seats could be spotted all over the arena. I wonder if this will continue to be a trend for the entire tournament.

Russia was playing at the same time.