Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

The 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

Let the Games begin ...

- note that the roster images above are from before last-minute changes due to injuries such as Martin St. Louis in for Stamkos and Nyquist in for Franzen

- times in the schedule in the original post are Sochi time which is 9 hours ahead of ET and 12 hours of PT

- I would be shocked if one of Canada, Sweden, the U.S. or Russia didn't win the gold medal. After that Czech might have the best chance of cracking into the medals and I expect Slovakia, Switzerland and Finland to bow out in the quarter-finals

Datsyuk not on the ice for today's practice in Sochi. Speculation he might sit out first game and focus on getting ready for Saturday's game against the States.

I would say Canada has the easiest draw. Looking forward to seeing how Kessel does on the international stage. He has been the best player on the planet the past 5 weeks or so.

I hope this is the last time the NHL takes part in the Olympics.

As a hockey fan, I like it.

I see how from a financial point of view there's not much in it for NHL owners. However, as a fan, I have little interest in a World Cup of Hockey to replace it. Only benefit to that would be money that goes to the owners and players - either the World Cup would need to be played in September when there's relatively low interest or in February which would mean shutting down the league once every 4 years anyways but w/o the Olympics exposure.

As a Canadian, I feel bad for Canada's other Winter Olympians who toil as amateurs for 4 years and who produce some great stories that get partially eclipsed by our national obsession with the men's hockey team.

Scenes from Canada's practice today:

featteamcan2.jpg

468342457_30292245.jpg

0211-OLY-COLE-HOCKEY_30294217.jpg

Lines at practice today were: Chris Kunitz-Sidney Crosby-Jeff Carter; Patrick Sharp-Jonathan Toews-Rick Nash; Patrick Marleau-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry; Jaime Benn- John Tavares- Patrice Bergeron. Martin St. Louis and Matt Duchene were the extra skaters.

Edited by lordstanley

Team USA before practice today:

BgIrTwNCYAAgpxG.jpg:large

Lines at practice today were:

Brown-Kesler-Kane; Parise-Backes-Oshie; Kessel-Pavelski-JVR; Pacioretty-Stastny-Callahan. Wheeler and Stepan as the extra forwards

Edited by lordstanley

As a hockey fan, I like it.

I see how from a financial point of view there's not much in it for NHL owners. However, as a fan, I have little interest in a World Cup of Hockey to replace it. Only benefit to that would be money that goes to the owners and players - either the World Cup would need to be played in September when there's relatively low interest or in February which would mean shutting down the league once every 4 years anyways but w/o the Olympics exposure.

As a Canadian, I feel bad for Canada's other Winter Olympians who toil as amateurs for 4 years and who produce some great stories that get partially eclipsed by our national obsession with the men's hockey team.

I guess the NHL Olympics just feel too manufactured.

With the best international players all being in the NHL anyway, I see little need or benefit to splitting them by nationality and having an all star tournament in the middle of the season. It just seems meaningless.

I didn't mind the World Cup/Canada Cup. It was unique at the time. I heard it was coming back. I assume that means that they are done with the Olympics.

I'd much rather see non-NHL players in the Olympics. I'm sure USA, Canada, etc could put together some entertaining teams from college, junior, and minor players.

I guess the NHL Olympics just feel too manufactured.

With the best international players all being in the NHL anyway, I see little need or benefit to splitting them by nationality and having an all star tournament in the middle of the season. It just seems meaningless.

I didn't mind the World Cup/Canada Cup. It was unique at the time. I heard it was coming back. I assume that means that they are done with the Olympics.

I'd much rather see non-NHL players in the Olympics. I'm sure USA, Canada, etc could put together some entertaining teams from college, junior, and minor players.

Yep, an AHL-CHL-College mix from U.S. and Canada, KHL players from Russia and club teams from Scandinavia would be an entertaining tournament.

To be honest, I care much less about international hockey than I used to. How can I get a hate going for Sweden and Russian given their positive infliuence on the Wings. I treat this tournament as an exiting showcase of grett hockey - something above an exhibition, but below the Stanley Cup playoffs. The 2010 tournament was important to me because I live in Vancouver and gold was the needed capper on a dream couple of weeks of sports and community.

In fact, on the women's side I would love to see the Canadians upset by Finland or someone else, because right now that tournament is a joke.

I wouldn't sleep on Finland. They have some decent talent and their goaltending is crazy good.

I would have agreed, PRIOR to the loss of Filppula and Koivu to injury. That leaves them very, very thin offensively. Doesn't mean they aren't capable of sneaking out a 2-1 victory over Canada, but I doubt it.

Yep, an AHL-CHL-College mix from U.S. and Canada, KHL players from Russia and club teams from Scandinavia would be an entertaining tournament.

To be honest, I care much less about international hockey than I used to. How can I get a hate going for Sweden and Russian given their positive infliuence on the Wings. I treat this tournament as an exiting showcase of grett hockey - something above an exhibition, but below the Stanley Cup playoffs. The 2010 tournament was important to me because I live in Vancouver and gold was the needed capper on a dream couple of weeks of sports and community.

In fact, on the women's side I would love to see the Canadians upset by Finland or someone else, because right now that tournament is a joke.

I think you nailed it regarding rooting interests. As a USA fan, it's hard to root against wings players. If it was before or after the season it would feel different.

If it was players from non nhl teams it would easier root against the other countries.

I would say Canada has the easiest draw. Looking forward to seeing how Kessel does on the international stage. He has been the best player on the planet the past 5 weeks or so.

His sister has looked good so far for the women's team. For some reason it didn't dawn on me that they were related until earlier today, even though I'm sure it's been mentioned more than once.

Don Cherry not only accompanied the CBC crew to Sochi and will be part of the broadcast, but he celebrated his 80th birthday in Russia, ha

Don Cherry marks 80th birthday in Russia, of all places | Hockey | Sports | Toronto Sun

To Russia with plaid.

Or maybe that should be pink — as in the symbolic pink suit he wore back in 2010 at Mayor Rob Ford’s swearing-in ceremony.

Either way, leave it to Don Cherry to be making news on his 80th birthday Wednesday.

If all went as scheduled, he was to turn 80 in the air on his way to Sochi and land on Russian soil as an octogenarian.

That’s right, perhaps Russia’s most ardent critic, Donald Stewart Cherry, born Feb. 5, 1934, in Kingston, Ont., is celebrating his big birthday in Russia.

Put that in your pipe you pinko, commie, lefty, kooks.

Ford certainly hopes he packed the pink jacket for Sochi.

“I say go for it,” said the mayor. “A pink suit to Russia. That’s funny.”

Ford said he’s sure Cherry will be popular among the Russians and all of the international Olympic-goers.

“Oh my God,” said Cherry’s good comrade, Bobby Orr, in all-out laughter at the thought of him in Russia. “Imagine that?”

Who would have thunk it?

Lenin must be rolling over in his tomb.

Stalin and Brezhnev, too.

“They will not have seen a wardrobe like that, either,” a chuckling Orr said of the Russian population.

Certainly, Russia will not have seen a louder and prouder Canuck visit since Team Canada made its splash there in 1972.

Turned the free NBC stream on just in time to see Zetterberg put the Swedes up 3-0 over the Czechs. It is funny to me that the Czechs dressed their two non-NHL goalies this game and Pavelic is up in the stands.

Sweden wins 4-2 over the Czech Republic.

Switzerland won 1-0 over Latvia. The game winner was with 8 seconds left in the third period.

His sister has looked good so far for the women's team. For some reason it didn't dawn on me that they were related until earlier today, even though I'm sure it's been mentioned more than once.

I don't know how well known it is. I've known for sometime because I am leaf fanatic obviously. The Kessel family have always been a bit shy. Phil hardly ever wants to talk to the media.

To address the rooting interest part from lordstanley: This year is pretty unique for me. Kessel and JVR are two of my favorite players in the world, their line has been the best in the NHL for about 5 weeks. Now I get to seem them play for the USA. I think Kulemin is the only other Maple Leaf in the Olympics, I have an easy time rooting against Russia.

My favorite player of all time is Sundin, so in the past I always kind of cheered for Sweden, which was tough, because at the time I hated the wings and absolutely despised Danny Alfredson (these are two separate thoughts, wings have always had many swedes and Alfredson was arch enemy number 1 for many years in Toronto when he was with the sens). So I am happy this year with how it shakes out.

Edited by T&P_Fan

As far the break goes, I dislike that, but I do enjoy watching the all-star format, it's still pretty novel for me.

Bobby Clark (runs the flyers) was lamenting in an interview that he thinks the breaks are awful and he wants the NHL to do away with it. The reporter reminded him that the flyers won the cup in 2010 after the Olympic break. Funny exchange.

Price to start in net tomorrow for Canada versus Norway; Luongo to start Friday versus Austria.

Quick to start the U.S.'s opening game.

Look for Canada to try to pile up the goals against Norway and Austria. Because would mean with a win over Finland they'd probably finish #1 overall, get a bye to the QF (the 3 group winners plus the 2nd place team with the most points get a bye, while #5-#12 play off to get into the quarter-finals), and play the 8th best remaining team in QF. Or with an OT loss to Finland or maybe even a close regulation loss they might be able to grab 4th overall and get a bye to the quarter-finals. Remember it's 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/SO win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss, 0 points for a regulation loss.