thefunk

Gamethread: Michigan v. MSU, PUR, IND, NEB

I did not see izzo's comments but it doesn't surprise me.

It was typical Izzo. His team played amazing and deserved to win, but the calls went against them, and did anyone know that they have injuries?

I'm not denying that the injuries likely made a big difference in the game, but I never see Beilein harping on and on about McGary being out or Burke going pro or any of the other things that have made his job difficult.

This is the first time since Iowa in 1987 that a team has beaten three straight Top 10 teams. Even more remarkable KenPom gave Michigan only a 3.89% chance to beat all of Wisconsin, Iowa & MSU during this stretch.

1. Great win. To go through a 3-game stretch like that, in this conference, with 2 of the wins on the road, is a huge accomplishment.

2. It's almost impossible to believe that the three most important players from last year's run aren't on this team. You can't give Beilein enough credit.

3. Something has to be done about the end of close basketball games. Insufferable. As soon as one team starts fouling, it's not even the same sport anymore. No clock game will ever approach the superiority of baseball, but there has to be some rule change that would help....

Michigan is on an incredible stretch right now. Even their last loss was a game that they almost and probably should've won against the #1 team in the country. Beilein has done a remarkable job this year considering the departures he had and the injury to McGary.

Curious to see where they put michigan in the rankings this week. 3 big ten teams ahead of them, michigan has beaten them all; MSU, Wisconsin and Iowa.

I bet we'll be 11th or something.

They moved up to 13th in the RPI. That was a nice little jump.

So did State get a waiver from the supposed new rules on guarding guys? Some of these defensive possessions looked like State\s guys could have gotten a good push against U of M's offensive line.

What a start to the B1G season. I thought 5-2 to 4-3 was the expectation, never even hoped for 7-0.

There is nothing to complain about with this team. They play a gorgeous brand of basketball on both ends of the floor really. The coach doesn't (generally) scream on the sidelines and is complete class off the court as well. And it's so much fun to watch guys progress in-season and from season-to-season. And how mentally tough must they be to play like that in a place like Breslin, and play through the expected bad calls for the most part without focusing on the officials or feeling sorry for yourself.

I can't think of a better team to be rooting for.

What a start to the B1G season. I thought 5-2 to 4-3 was the expectation, never even hoped for 7-0.

There is nothing to complain about with this team. They play a gorgeous brand of basketball on both ends of the floor really. The coach doesn't (generally) scream on the sidelines and is complete class off the court as well. And it's so much fun to watch guys progress in-season and from season-to-season. And how mentally tough must they be to play like that in a place like Breslin, and play through the expected bad calls for the most part without focusing on the officials or feeling sorry for yourself.

I can't think of a better team to be rooting for.

I still hate that Caris LeVert plays PG on the majority of his trips down the floor. He still has no reason to be ball-handling and running the point when Walton/Spike and Stauskas are on the floor with him. He also should never have an offensive possession run for him to get a shot. If one comes in the natural flow of the game, then sure...but why are they running set plays for him to come off a screen and shoot a contested jumper or three-pointer?

They are at 14 in the USA today poll, behind both Iowa and Wisconsin. Coaches are idiots.

I still hate that Caris LeVert plays PG on the majority of his trips down the floor. He still has no reason to be ball-handling and running the point when Walton/Spike and Stauskas are on the floor with him. He also should never have an offensive possession run for him to get a shot. If one comes in the natural flow of the game, then sure...but why are they running set plays for him to come off a screen and shoot a contested jumper or three-pointer?

I said it earlier in this thread that I'm not a big fan of levert, but I don't think I agree with your criticisms here.

The team as currently constructed doesn't really have a point guard. It doesn't really matter who brings it up the court in typical set possessions.

If it's a transition possession they have to run so it is what it is.

But with the offense running through stauskas so much, who cares whether Walton or Caris walks it up the court?

As for the scripted plays, I think much of that is based on how the other team is defending. If levert can get open more easily, then he should get the ball in those plays.

Basketball rankings at the end of January mean nothing.

In the big picture, you're right. But for a guy like me it's easy to put rankings in a vacuum and bemoan the outcomes. I don't think Iowa or Wisconsin should be ahead of a team they both just lost to in the past 7 days.

In the big picture, you're right. But for a guy like me it's easy to put rankings in a vacuum and bemoan the outcomes. I don't think Iowa or Wisconsin should be ahead of a team they both just lost to in the past 7 days.

The rankings could come in to play when it comes time for tourney seeding. The committee looks at a lot of things to create their s-curve ranking list, and there are always going to be teams that are close. The polls are not completely ignored, so being ranked higher can only help.

So, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more just ranking.

It could be the difference between being a 3 seed and a 4 seed.

The rankings could come in to play when it comes time for tourney seeding. The committee looks at a lot of things to create their s-curve ranking list, and there are always going to be teams that are close. The polls are not completely ignored, so being ranked higher can only help.

So, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more just ranking.

It could be the difference between being a 3 seed and a 4 seed.

See Biggs, I told ya.

I was just surprised to see both Iowa and wisconsin (2 and 3 losses each in the Big Ten) ahead of the only undefeated team in the Big 10. I have no issue with MSU being ranked higher.

Michigan has by far the worst loss of the bunch. But it was so long ago, I would think the bread to head results recently and the similar total losses would have resulted in mich being ahead of both of them.

But relative to Iowa, both teams have four losses, michigan's loss is worse, and mich was the home team in head to head.

Relative to wisc, they have one fewer loss, and their worse loss isn't as bad as michigan's. But mich beat them at their court.

You could probably group all three fairly close to each other.

bread to head

Never heard this expression before, googled it and came up with references that I can't fit with this context. What does this mean?

EDIT: duh...stupid question.

Edited by sabretooth