potthole

MLB.tv Question

Please pardon if this winds up being a really dumb question.

I'm curious about investing in a subscription to MLB.tv this upcoming season. Living in Grand Rapids, I see that I am listed as living in an area that "The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s): Detroit Tigers"

Does this mean that without a doubt, 100% of all Tigers games cannot be viewed live? I know that nationally broadcast games are always blacked out live, but I'm unsure if this means all FSN games would also be blacked out live.

Yes, that is exactly what it means.

Sure. I just wasn't certain if it was one of those, "Well, if today's game is a sellout there's no blackout," type of thing or not.

I invested in a cheap VPN to avoid black outs for the online sports packages.

Hopefully not another dumb question here-- in theory could a cheap VPN skirt blackouts if you were using MLB.tv on a Roku on your TV?

For the record, nationally televised games won't be blacked out this year.

Hopefully not another dumb question here-- in theory could a cheap VPN skirt blackouts if you were using MLB.tv on a Roku on your TV?

I've never used a Roku before so I can't actually tell you. Can you access the internet via Roku? Or is it just applications? I log in to the VPN via a website (sometimes you can use a downloaded client) then use that to navigate to the streaming website.

I've never used a Roku before so I can't actually tell you. Can you access the internet via Roku? Or is it just applications? I log in to the VPN via a website (sometimes you can use a downloaded client) then use that to navigate to the streaming website.

Sent you a PM a moment ago before reading this post, perhaps we can continue the conversation there.

For the record, nationally televised games won't be blacked out this year.

Is that fully true? I was under the impression that the only change with respect to blackouts for national games was that if a Fox game wasn't the one being shown in your area, you will now be able to watch via mlb.tv. ESPN games and Fox games shown in your area will still be blacked out online. Not sure how that will apply to games shown on FS1.

Can I watch tape delayed Mariners games if I have a roku hooked up to a server in Fiji?

I have a VPN proxy on my iPad, and I cannot defeat MLB's location technology with it.

I have a VPN proxy on my iPad, and I cannot defeat MLB's location technology with it.

That's because they use the location services of the ipad instead of the ip address.

I get why they do it... the teams rely on local TV contracts, Tigers-FSD, and if we could get Tiger games from mlb.tv instead of cable/satellite, many would probably drop cable/satellite, and then FSD's revenue stream goes down, which means they wouldn't want to pay as much for the Tigers. Its' about protecting the local contracts.

FSD is probably the only thing keeping me on cable now.

I agree. Well, that and MLB Network. If not for that I could very easily go put an antennae on the roof for the over the air stuff and snip the cable.

Of course if everybody did this, they would just raise the price of internet to cover their losses. You'd have a $250 internet bill instead.

I agree. Well, that and MLB Network. If not for that I could very easily go put an antennae on the roof for the over the air stuff and snip the cable.

Of course if everybody did this, they would just raise the price of internet to cover their losses. You'd have a $250 internet bill instead.

Unless there's competition. We have WOW in our area and they would be happy to have me as just an internet customer.

But....all the sports stations on cable makes it hard to give up, impossible in my case. Going back to the regular airwave TV stations would be as bad as going back to a dial-up connection, IMO.

And BTW, about MLB.TV?

They have games archived. What's really weird is the app on my DVD player has more games archived than the app on my TV does.

Also, every electronic item you own can be connected to your account at no extra charge. I have 2 PCs, 2 DVD players and 1 TV that I can watch games on. I also just received a tablet (a Nexus 10) that I think I can get a free app for. I haven't gotten into it yet much.

The MLB product does have it's drawbacks. Every season, they offer a cheaper package to get new customers. Last year, I called them and got the price down. I <think> it was supposed to be ~179.00 and I ended up getting it for $120.00 or so.

I get why they do it... the teams rely on local TV contracts, Tigers-FSD, and if we could get Tiger games from mlb.tv instead of cable/satellite, many would probably drop cable/satellite, and then FSD's revenue stream goes down, which means they wouldn't want to pay as much for the Tigers. Its' about protecting the local contracts.

This is true to a point, but there is some extreme blocking with mlb.tv. I grew up in Northern IN and at no time were the Tigers ever on cable tv in the SBN area, but they are blocked out there on mlbtv, so is the Cubs, WS, and I believe Indians.

In Indy I think the Reds, Cubs and WS are blocked. Reds I can understand, Cubs and WS very iffy..

This has been one of the knocks on mlbtv. So far, Det's home market has not extended to St. Louis.

Is anybody else have problems with the MLBTV app on their ipad/iphone regarding closed captioning?

The captioning comes on and won't go off. I toggled the CC button and it's there no matter what.

Edited by Antrat