sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

It was a given, but I will miss him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back at the vet min. Doubt anyone else particularly desires him and Stafford completed 75% of his targets to Nate last year and 66 in each of the 2 previous seasons. Its not like we are oozing depth. Keep Nate cheap(vet min doesn't hit your cap either) and another cheap vet and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder too.

Been seeing lots of articles like this: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/02/column_detroit_lions_roster_sh.html

Lots of hand-wringing by the beat writers about how Delmas and (especially) Burleson were team "leaders" and now they're gone.

But to the beat writers, "team leader" seems to equal "good quote". Frankly, as a fan, I'd rather have 22 Marshawn Lynches, who don't talk to the press, but who get it done every week on the field. And even though Burleson gave the rookies good financial advice, I don't know whether he made them better players.

No knock on Burleson or Delmas, who were solid contributors or better when they were on the field, but this press narrative of the "locker room leader" seems self-serving and potentially misleading.

I know what you mean, but I always considered them both leaders, probably the #1 leader on their respective units. I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm not going to pretend my opinion was different now that they are gone.

Been seeing lots of articles like this: Column: Detroit Lions' roster shakeup was inevitable | MLive.com

Lots of hand-wringing by the beat writers about how Delmas and (especially) Burleson were team "leaders" and now they're gone.

But to the beat writers, "team leader" seems to equal "good quote". Frankly, as a fan, I'd rather have 22 Marshawn Lynches, who don't talk to the press, but who get it done every week on the field. And even though Burleson gave the rookies good financial advice, I don't know whether he made them better players.

No knock on Burleson or Delmas, who were solid contributors or better when they were on the field, but this press narrative of the "locker room leader" seems self-serving and potentially misleading.

It always seemed that they were the two giving the pre-game speeches to their teammates, right before the game started -- the way that Ray Lewis did for years with Baltimore. I'd have to think that they didn't want just anyone doing that, so I'm guessing they meant something to their teammates as well as the writers. Delmas I understand letting go more than Nate. Would love to have Nate back.

The Lions are going to miss his trashtalking after he gets a flag or takes a horrible route and whiffs on a receiver. The team could really rally around that.

Never saw Burleson as a good leader. He just seemed to be one by default because of his age/length of time at club, but I was never impressed by any insight or anything at all really that I heard him say.

Been seeing lots of articles like this: Column: Detroit Lions' roster shakeup was inevitable | MLive.com

Leaders on a team known for playing out of control, committing too many silly mistakes, and collapsing in horrific fashion?

I'm ready for some new leaders.

Leaders on a team known for playing out of control, committing too many silly mistakes, and collapsing in horrific fashion?

I'm ready for some new leaders.

Exactly.

Burleson reminded me a bit of Brandon Inge. Dubbed leaders by the press because they would always talk when a microphone got shoved in their face.

Cap went up an extra 2.5 mil. With out cuts we should be anywhere from 12-15 mil under the cap before/without a Suh restructure.

Where are you getting the 12-15 number from out of curiosity? With the cap going to 130 mil and our current number as reported by OverTheCap, I am seeing a little over 10.

Whether it's 10-15 though, it's wonderful news for the Lions. We could cut Harris and Owens, try to resign Delmas for about half the price and a wide receiver like Andre Roberts or Kenny Britt and still sign our draft picks with some wiggle room.

Where are you getting the 12-15 number from out of curiosity? With the cap going to 130 mil and our current number as reported by OverTheCap' date=' I am seeing a little over 10.

Whether it's 10-15 though, it's wonderful news for the Lions. We could cut Harris and Owens, try to resign Delmas for about half the price and a wide receiver like Andre Roberts or Kenny Britt and still sign our draft picks with some wiggle room.[/quote']

I meant with our likely future cuts(Jones,Owens,Harris and maybe Sims). Sorry, poor wording on my part. 12 if we keep Sims, 15 if we cut him.

We could probably sign Delmas,W.Young,Bell and Roberts for about 8-10 mil in 2014 cap space. The draft class will cost about 2 mil.

Mayhew was very optimistic about a Suh deal being done by the start of free agency when he spoke at the combine

Update on Suh situation:

10 Questions with Twentyman

Do you see the lions restructuring Suh's deal within the next week before free agency starts? Corey Morawa (@cmorawa5)

20man: Suh still hasn’t decided on an agent, the last I heard. At this point it would seem unlikely that a deal could get done before March 11.

What does everyone think about Hakeem Nicks? Go after him or no?

What does everyone think about Hakeem Nicks? Go after him or no?

I thought he looked pretty cooked last year, but it could have been injury (what else is new with him though).

I'd wait out the market on him at the least. Though with the rumors of us almost trading for him last year I wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew had interest.

Its not my preferred route, but it would intrigue me to see him lined up opposite Calvin

Suh Update:

Suh Negotiating his own Contract?

Professional sports contracts can be quite complicated. And generally, the more money involved, the more complext the contract becomes.

Ndamukong Suh's next contract is going to be massive. The Lions defensive tackle is one of the best in the game, and is just 27 years old.

And Suh is apparently considering getting his Tom Condon on and be his own agent, according to Fox Sports 1's Mike Garafolo.........

The Detroit Lions have signed former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Corvey Irvin.

The 6-foot-2, 295-pounder played in six games last season for Dallas, recording three tackles. He originally was selected by Carolina in the third round of the 2009 draft, but appeared in only two games in two seasons for the Panthers.

Irvin played for Jacksonville in 2011 and Tampa Bay in 2012, where he had his best professional season. He appeared in 12 games for the Bucs, recording six tackles.

He spent time on the Lions' practice squad in 2011, but never made the 53-man roster. He'll compete for Detroit's fourth defensive tackle spot this year behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and C.J. Mosley.

Detroit Lions sign ex-Cowboys defensive tackle Corvey Irvin | MLive.com

Lance Moore seems like a no brainer for us to target in free agency. Reliable hands and excellent route runner out of the slot which we need. Anyone agree?

If we could sign him and draft Evans, our WR group looks good on paper. And the good thing is, Moore shouldn't cost a terrible amount so we can sign a nice safety in free agency.

Lance Moore seems like a no brainer for us to target in free agency. Reliable hands and excellent route runner out of the slot which we need. Anyone agree?

Seems like the perfect fit. I don't see why this shouldn't happen.

I would love to see Lance Moore as a Lion. If that doesn't work out, Jason Avant would also be a nice fit. Of course I know next to nothing about the Lions current salary cap situation.

I would love to see Lance Moore as a Lion. If that doesn't work out, Jason Avant would also be a nice fit. Of course I know next to nothing about the Lions current salary cap situation.

I swear I saw on Twitter today that they have more cap space than they did last offseason, but haven't verified that. I can't imagine Moore would get too much money on the market.