sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

Is he going to sue the NCAA too? I'm sure that crazy one he sustained at the end of his Cal career was a big issue in his later concussions...

Fairley has showed improvement every season and played in 15 games last year so injuries weren't a huge problem. Also, I tend to consider the fact that the money saved would be wisely spent somewhere else. If we let go of Suh we would be able to afford a nice cover corner with the money saved...but that is assuming the money is used well.

Who would replace Suh? A below average pickup?

Who would replace Suh? A below average pickup?

I could say the same thing about our secondary situation. If we keep Suh we lose Fairley and can't afford to upgrade somewhere else. Who would replace Fairley? Or Delmas if we can't afford to keep him? Or how would we upgrade our clearly weak secondary?

I could say the same thing about our secondary situation. If we keep Suh we lose Fairley and can't afford to upgrade somewhere else. Who would replace Fairley? Or Delmas if we can't afford to keep him? Or how would we upgrade our clearly weak secondary?

Fairley seems to be good when he wants to be. He seems to be a player that takes plays off.

Fairley seems to be good when he wants to be. He seems to be a player that takes plays off.

He definitely isn't a perfect player, he is just significantly less of a risk and I personally don't think Suh can make enough plays to justify the contract he is going to get. Just my opinion.

I would pick Fairley simply due to cost but I wouldn't complain if your scenario played out.

If we continue to fail to use Suh more creatively, I could actually agree with this - at least in theory. Fairley's contract, even if we assume it's Atkins-sized, could save 2-3 million a year and Fairley is a very good, penetrating undertackle.

But consider this, Suh plays significantly more than Fairley does.

If we take a three year average on Suh and a two year average for Fairley (due to his injury plagued rookie year), Suh 850 snaps while Fairley averages 611, so Suh even if we assume 13.5 a year and Fairley 11 - Suh is actually a better value per snap.

He definitely isn't a perfect player, he is just significantly less of a risk and I personally don't think Suh can make enough plays to justify the contract he is going to get. Just my opinion.

Valenti said just that the other day on the radio, and I tend to agree.

They were having an interesting discussion today on the radio (valenti and foster) about how the top 3 players on this team gets paid a lot more than the top 3 on denver and the top 3 on seattle. They also compared the top 5. I came in a bit late so I'm not sure who they were specifically using for the players but I would think Stafford, Suh, and Calvin. Most of the teams that were paying their 3 best players the highest, were not even in the playoffs.

I think their point was without letting Suh go, you can't balance the team out enough to win the super bowl. Suh will likely get paid well.

They were having an interesting discussion today on the radio (valenti and foster) about how the top 3 players on this team gets paid a lot more than the top 3 on denver and the top 3 on seattle. They also compared the top 5. I came in a bit late so I'm not sure who they were specifically using for the players but I would think Stafford, Suh, and Calvin. Most of the teams that were paying their 3 best players the highest, were not even in the playoffs.

I think their point was without letting Suh go, you can't balance the team out enough to win the super bowl. Suh will likely get paid well.

I don't listen to 97.1 too often but sounds like an interesting conversation, and I actually did just look at the top salaries of different teams today and was surprised.

NFL Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Denver's top three paid players make about five million more than Detroit's do. Denver has about five million more in cap space than Detroit does.

Not an issue.

Seattle is set up beautifully drafting phenomenally well. But you should pay elite players when you get them - and Seattle will when the time comes.

Denver's top three paid players make about five million more than Detroit's do. Denver has about five million more in cap space than Detroit does.

Not an issue.

Seattle is set up beautifully drafting phenomenally well. But you should pay elite players when you get them - and Seattle will when the time comes.

Peyton Manning is going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, so his money is warranted. Bailey is on the tail end of a back-loaded contract and Wes Welker's contract is extremely team friendly. And your math or post was incorrect, Denver's top 3 are about $4M less than Detroit's and that number is much higher come next year.

Next year between Johnson, Suh, and Stafford they will command $51M, Denver will be at $35.25M. That is an issue, IMO.

Peyton Manning is going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, so his money is warranted. Bailey is on the tail end of a back-loaded contract and Wes Welker's contract is extremely team friendly. And your math or post was incorrect, Denver's top 3 are about $4M less than Detroit's and that number is much higher come next year.

Next year between Johnson, Suh, and Stafford they will command $51M, Denver will be at $35.25M. That is an issue, IMO.

My math is just fine, it was my English that was the problem. I meant to say that the difference in Detroit's top 3 and Denver's top 3 is less than the extra cap space Denver has over Detroit.

We need to extend Suh's contract which will be a big help, but Stafford's contract is actually a plus - he's a much better value than Flacco, Ryan or Romo. The structure we have isn't a problem, especially when you consider that the cap will increase significantly once new TV deals are made.

My math is just fine' date=' it was my English that was the problem. I meant to say that the difference in Detroit's top 3 and Denver's top 3 is less than the extra cap space Denver has over Detroit.

We need to extend Suh's contract which will be a big help, but Stafford's contract is actually a plus - he's a much better value than Flacco, Ryan or Romo. The structure we have isn't a problem, especially when you consider that the cap will increase significantly once new TV deals are made.[/quote']

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Even if we let Suh walk, we are sitting at $36.5M between Stafford, Johnson, and Burleson...the point I am getting at is we seem to spend much more on our top 3-4 guys than most teams, I don't think up to this point that has been a winning formula. Especially when our top 3 are only going to be going up until we eventually part ways. Even if we restructure Suh, he is going to be making around $13M a year, that is a lot for a DT, Johnson makes a lot for a WR, and Stafford is one of the top paid QB's...we will need multiple excellent drafts in a row in order to find the depth we need with the money we have left.

And I understand the cap will increase, but that increases for everyone...we will still be dedicating more of our money to our top guys than other teams and everyone will have a little extra money to spend, I don't see how that really helps us when everyone is getting a slice.

And I understand the cap will increase, but that increases for everyone...we will still be dedicating more of our money to our top guys than other teams and everyone will have a little extra money to spend, I don't see how that really helps us when everyone is getting a slice.

Every team will have to be in the same boat to compete in the NFL because of the cap. If you want to stay competitive, you will need to pay 2-3 stars and the rest will hopefully be above average players. Some teams are lucky right now because of the rookie wage scale and their luck with the draft, but there will come a time to pay their star players or they will not be able to compete with the other teams.

Edited by nd1377

One thing is for sure, if you are going to have those 3 guys making that much, you have to nail your drafts and find cheap talent. Last year was a good step in that direction IMO. We replaced a lot of expensive guys with cheaper options and no drop off. The 3 OL spots particularly, plus Palmer for Durant. Our DE group was much cheaper than Avril,KVB and co as well. This year we need to find people who can replace Houston,Delmas,Burleson,Hill and maybe Pettigrew either this year or next.

Peronally, I feel our top 3 is better than what most teams have, especially considering age and position. I value them a lot and am not willing to let any of them go right now. Maybe Suh if I got a great offer.

.....Maybe Suh if I got a great offer.

For me, it would have to be one of those Herschal Walker trade offers where the Cowboys got a lot of draft picks that helped them win 3 Super Bowls, but I doubt it would ever happen again.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Even if we let Suh walk, we are sitting at $36.5M between Stafford, Johnson, and Burleson...the point I am getting at is we seem to spend much more on our top 3-4 guys than most teams, I don't think up to this point that has been a winning formula. Especially when our top 3 are only going to be going up until we eventually part ways. Even if we restructure Suh, he is going to be making around $13M a year, that is a lot for a DT, Johnson makes a lot for a WR, and Stafford is one of the top paid QB's...we will need multiple excellent drafts in a row in order to find the depth we need with the money we have left.

Everyone will have a little extra money to spend, and much of that will be to extend their own players. The question will be, how good is the nucleus you build around.

I think most people are ok paying Suh like Geno Atkins. The question is, does he go for Mario Williams type money as one of the top defensive players in the league. I could see it. I'm not saying Suh is greedy or a bad guy, but I think he is in the same vein as a Richard Sherman. He knows how good he is and will want to be highly valued. I think firing his agents signifies that to some degree.

If he wants 5 million over Geno, you probably have to move on IMO. I"d HATE to lose one of the few premier defensive players we've had in recent memory, but you could fill all 3 spots(with Ansah in the 4th) on the DL with that kind of money. You could pay Fairley and bring in a damn good pass rusher or CB for example.

Yah, that's about it. Even then, Idonije is probably a better fit and he seemed to be a strong veteran leader for that group. We need another pass rusher at LDE first and foremost. Ansah can't be the only DE capable of sacking the QB.

Not sure where this fits in but Joique Bell was just on Jay Mohr Sports. What a great interview and down to earth guy. This is the kind of guy the Lions need around. Not sure his worth $$$ wise but lock him up. Great representation for the Lions.

Not sure where this fits in but Joique Bell was just on Jay Mohr Sports. What a great interview and down to earth guy. This is the kind of guy the Lions need around. Not sure his worth $$$ wise but lock him up. Great representation for the Lions.

He finished up his first Rock of Ages performance last night. He just seems like a a really nice guy who is loving his life.