sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

norman has predicted the lions to win 10+ games every year for the last 3 or 4 years. Norman sees things in the lions that no one does. God bless him, I hope he's right this year.

One of these years all of us "haters" are going to have to eat crow and Norman will be able to laugh and possibly even get a "Na-na-na-na-boo-boo" in.

One of these years all of us "haters" are going to have to eat crow and Norman will be able to laugh and possibly even get a "Na-na-na-na-boo-boo" in.

Now that Ford Sr. is dead we may be closer to that day than at any time in the last 40 years.

Unfortunately he gave us one last gift before he left the earth to remind us of how incompetent he is: Jim Caldwell.

Then again, I don't have faith that Bill Jr is any better than his old man at picking competent people to run the team. After all, Bill Jr is the one who hired Millen. His old man was the one who wouldn't fire him, but the original sin lays with the son.

I gotta give Mayhew a slight attaboy for not signing Clemons who everyone wanted at S this offseason and who ended up not making the Texans.

Now we just have to get Ihedigbo on the field lol.

I gotta give Mayhew a slight attaboy for not signing Clemons who everyone wanted at S this offseason and who ended up not making the Texans.

Now we just have to get Ihedigbo on the field lol.

Yeah Mayhew, nice job of having zero cap space! It kept you from making yet another mistake!

Nope, but nice try.

How so?

Do you think they signed Orlavsky because he was the best option available, or because they had no more money? Come on man, even you can admit that the Lions were strapped in the salary cap this year.

How so?

Do you think they signed Orlavsky because he was the best option available, or because they had no more money? Come on man, even you can admit that the Lions were strapped in the salary cap this year.

Sure, but we weren't talking about Orlovsky. They didn't sign Clemons because they signed Ihedigbo and a lot of people here criticized that choice. Ihedigbo hasn't done anything yet, I"m aware, but Clemons didn't even make the team after everyone acted like he was such a big upgrade for us. That's all.

Sure, but we weren't talking about Orlovsky. They didn't sign Clemons because they signed Ihedigbo and a lot of people here criticized that choice. Ihedigbo hasn't done anything yet, I"m aware, but Clemons didn't even make the team after everyone acted like he was such a big upgrade for us. That's all.

Fair enough

Now that Ford Sr. is dead we may be closer to that day than at any time in the last 40 years.

Unfortunately he gave us one last gift before he left the earth to remind us of how incompetent he is: Jim Caldwell.

Then again, I don't have faith that Bill Jr is any better than his old man at picking competent people to run the team. After all, Bill Jr is the one who hired Millen. His old man was the one who wouldn't fire him, but the original sin lays with the son.

...and Jr. didn't exactly rush to the parapets to push for getting rid of Millen either....

I will have zero confidence in this ownership and FO until they do something worthy of confidence.

...and Jr. didn't exactly rush to the parapets to push for getting rid of Millen either....

I will have zero confidence in this ownership and FO until they do something worthy of confidence.

Well, we do have a historically good practice squad...so there's always that.

So, let me see if I got this right. We can't classify Seattle as great because they only won one game this season against the Packers (who most pundits have winning the North and a top 10 team). But, we can classify GB as "not that good" because they lost to Seattle (who most pundits have as the #1 team in the league and the favorites to repeat as Super Bowl champs). Seems like an odd situation. Three more weeks and we will see how the "not that good" Packers play our Lions, that should clear a lot of this up.

You got that wrong. you can classify Seattle as anything you want. I am classifying GB as not as good as the 'pundits' think because....opinion.

They seem a little weaker than normal, but Rodgers eats us alive. This is a HUGE game that I feel we really need to take.

It is a huge game and one that we really do need to win if we want to be taken seriously.

So what's the early take away from Caldwell?

My three biggest takeaways from the first quarter of the season:

1. Lions are #1 in total defense-Yards per game

2. Lions defense only has 19 penalties on the season, only 3 other teams have fewer (bears lead with 40 flags).

3. Lions offense is second in the league in possession minutes

The small things that needed to be addressed appear to be working in the Lions favor this season. It's only 4 games in, but a quarter of the season is in the books and the Lions look like a well coached and well disciplined team on the field.

So what's the early take away from Caldwell?

My three biggest takeaways from the first quarter of the season:

1. Lions are #1 in total defense-Yards per game

2. Lions defense only has 19 penalties on the season, only 3 other teams have fewer (bears lead with 40 flags).

3. Lions offense is second in the league in possession minutes

The small things that needed to be addressed appear to be working in the Lions favor this season. It's only 4 games in, but a quarter of the season is in the books and the Lions look like a well coached and well disciplined team on the field.

He is better than Schwartz that is for sure. Hopefully he is the real deal and can nip any lingering problem in the butt if they start to occur in the next few weeks.

Caldwell had a pretty good presser today (a little feisty too) but he came across as really trying to keep the team focused on winning football games. I've been impressed with that aspect in relation to Schwartz.

It's early, but the Lions haven't played a team with a winning record. Green Bay might be the only team they've beat so far that has a shot at that.

And they lost convincingly to Carolina.

That said, they are clearly a more disciplined team. They are clearly more balanced offensively. They are at zero in TO differential.

If the first step toward becoming a winning team is not beating yourself, it seems like they are ready to take that first step.