sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

...Maybe it is the new coach. Maybe it is my expectation for Stafford and CJ hooking up for ungod like numbers with all the penalties they will be calling on guys trying to cover CJ and how scared db/corners are going to be to breathe on receivers.

Maybe it is the upgrades in the off season. I am not sure what it is, bt it got me to drop a 100.00 on them to win the whole thing at 34-1. Maybe I should have dropped 1000.00.

Maybe it's the Kool-Aid

Mike Greenberg picked the Lions to win the division at 11-5. The season is here, we don't have to speculate anymore.

Haters sit back...the winning starts now.

Let's be fair though, most of the more optimistic fans though 2012 was the year, we had just gone to the WC game the year before and we went 4-12. Then last year many thought it was going to be the year, (Norman predicted 11-5 or maybe it was 12-4) and all the "haters" were supposed to sit back and eat crow. Now everyone is excusing those seasons as Schwartz's fault and claiming that Caldwell is going to be the savior (even though no other NFL team gave him any consideration and the Lions still looked to have the same issues as Schwartz's Lions in the preseason). I dont think anyone on this board is a true hater in that they want the lions to lose, I simply think many of us choose to temper expectations due to years of utter failure under the Millen/Mayhew regimes.

I truly hope the Lions win, I just dont trust this front office to create a perennial winner until they show me they can. I just don see how anyone can give this front office the benefit of the doubt when the havent won and more specifically are horrendous against teams over .500. I'll wait to give Mayhew praise until his team is wining 75% of the games against teams under .500 and 50% against teams over .500 and a playoff win or two. Even those benchmarks pale in compares soon to what Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, and Green Bay fans expect from their teams/front offices.

I use it to wash down the corn bread.

Try it while reading online pre-season fluff. Yuuummmmskiii! Lip smacking Lionicious I tell ya

Try it while reading online pre-season fluff. Yuuummmmskiii! Lip smacking Lionicious I tell ya

I have read next to zero about the Lions this pre season. Which is why I am so pumped about Monday. I get REAL sick of all the talk. People have ENTIRE shows or columns talking about TALK. lol

It is pathetic. I hate it. Just give us 300 man rosters, and 50 weeks of football a year so we can actually talk about THE GAME not what someone thinks is going to happen in the game.

Mike Greenberg picked the Lions to win the division at 11-5. The season is here, we don't have to speculate anymore.

Haters sit back...the winning starts now.

Well you still have a seat left in the Prius with you driving, Norman riding 'gun and Greenberg in the back....you can always add JBK....maybe he'd be willing to run in and grab the beer and chips at the Quickie Mart.

j/k...giving you guys a hard time...good luck Lions fans...

I don't think this FO is straightened out (yet) and the HC is ok (I don't dislike Caldwell), but I do really like the offense (who wouldn't) and the D should generate some excitement (both ways)...they are capable of big plays. If they can stop the run consistently that would be a great starting point.

Should be an exciting season for you!

....who knows? Maybe the playoffs are in the offing.

Edited by sabretooth

Well you still have a seat left in the Prius with you driving, Norman riding 'gun and Greenberg in the back....you can always add JBK....maybe he'd be willing to run in and grab the beer and chips at the Quickie Mart.

j/k...giving you guys a hard time...good luck Lions fans...

I don't think this FO is straightened out (yet) and the HC is ok (I don't dislike Caldwell), but I do really like the offense (who wouldn't) and the D should generate some excitement (both ways)...they are capable of big plays. If they can stop the run consistently that would be a great starting point.

Should be an exciting season for you!

....who knows? Maybe the playoffs are in the offing.

The FO and HC don't play. Players play.

The FO and HC don't play. Players play.

How could a Lions fan who saw the reign of Matt Millen make this statement, as if the FO doesn't matter?

They don't play, they don't matter on game day. Coaches do, a little bit.

We're talking about different things. You're talking about what will happen between today and the end of the next game and for the balance of this season. Obviously that's more on the players and the HC (far more than a "little bit" on the HC, especially for a team that is middle-pack).

I'm talking about everything that determined how this team got here (the FO) and what determines where it's going beyond this season (again, the FO). I'm specifically granting at this point that this team could luck into the playoffs, but I also believe that it could luck into a losing season. That's the nature of a mediocre team.

Edited by sabretooth

For the people that say that the Lions have a talented roster, have you looked up and down every NFL roster too? I'm just curious because admittedly I haven't nor do I know what they look like. I really only pay attention to skill position players for fantasy purposes but that's it. The reason I'm asking though is I wouldn't be surprised if you did go and look up and down every roster and had the knowledge about those players that you do the Lions that you would find that the vast majority of teams have talented guys all through their roster. I could be wrong but with all the parity and similar records every year I have a feeling that I'm right. For every talented guy that we added this offseason, I'm sure our competition did the same thing.

Yeah but our quarterback throws for 5,000 YARDS!!!!!! Who else can do that?

I'm not sure what point you're getting at here.

I know there are red flags' date=' but after thinking about it this weekend I would love to see us add Champ Bailey if he can pass a physical. He was cut by the Saints, not due to production, but having to spend too much time in the medical room recovering from his injury from last year.

He's obviously not the player he used to be, but I think he could still be a solid defender who adds gravitas to the secondary.[/quote']

Champ Bailey is working out for the Lions today.

This would be a good signing, and struck me as a classic Mayhew move. I think in part due to his playing history, he has always placed an emphasis on veteran experience in the secondary.

I think he would be a huge plus for Darius Slay.

Champ Bailey is working out for the Lions today......

I wish and hope that he could still play at an above average level in the NFL.

I think he would be a huge plus for Darius Slay.

Slay is already talking about how Bailey looked good in the workout (he had to take a peak) and how it would be like having another coach in the unit. Between this and his offseason it seems like Slay is open to any help which is good.

The majority of football writers aren't experts. They are idiots.

That and everyone is still in love with Rodgers so they think there is noway anyone but the Pack come out on top.

I have a strong suspicion that Rodgers is not going to have that great of a year. Maybe an injury or he may just have an off year.

This would be a good signing' date=' and struck me as a classic Mayhew move. I think in part due to his playing history, he has always placed an emphasis on veteran experience in the secondary.

I think he would be a huge plus for Darius Slay.[/quote']

Too bad Boss was not much of a boss.

I wanted Chris Clemons over Ihedigbo, neither are great by any stretch of the imagination but Clemons was the yin to Ihedigbo's yang. Clemons is better in coverage but weak against the run, Ihedigbo is weak in coverage but solid against the run. I respect that the front office realizes that the secondary is extremely weak and shallow, hopefully they sign a few guys.

This may shock some people...but if Mayhew was able to get Champ Bailey and Chris Clemons on non-guaranteed contracts at a reasonable salary and if they produced; I think this team could win the wild-card and grant Mayhew at least one more year. Now obviously I still wish he would have done a good many things differently this offseason (not signing Pettigrew, signing Captain Munnerlyn, drafting Pryor/Amaro rounds 1 and 2 as opposed to Ebron and Van Noy, etc.) but it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

This would be a good signing' date=' and struck me as a classic Mayhew move. I think in part due to his playing history, he has always placed an emphasis on veteran experience in the secondary.

I think he would be a huge plus for Darius Slay.[/quote']

If the lions are as talented as you think they are, they would have no need to bring in a washed up champ bailey.

there is a reason why bailey was cut and hasnt signed with anyone yet.

Maybe it's the Kool-Aid

Years and years ago I make this image in some simple graphics program. I just did a search and it's still around... some woman used it in a blog post in 2012 and it came up in my google image search.

LionsKoolAid.jpg