sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

Stafford deserves his share of the blame for sure, but the fact that the Lions had the lead in those games & gave it up says more about the defense than it does about Stafford.

You’re absolutely right–it does. I just don’t blame them as much for those losses as the offense and coaching staff, and primarily Stafford. Forgive the pun, but the lion's share of the purported talent on this team is supposed to be on the offensive side of the ball. Yet they’re the ones who kept sending that secondary back out on the field and putting the game on their shoulders.

3-and-outs doesn’t get it done when trying to protect a lead. Expecting the weakest part of the team to carry everyone else to victory is just asking for it. They spent too much time on the field because the offense couldn’t move the ball at critical times. The majority of those losses during that epic collapse were only by a few points.

Edited by number20

I just saw that the Patriots traded Ryan Mallett to the Texans for a conditional 7th round pick. I know he hasn't shown anything in the NFL but he definitely has the physical tools coming out of college a few years ago. Plus learning under Brady and Belichick for a few years shouldn't hurt either. So I think if I were the Lions I would've made that trade cause I would have more faith in him as a backup than our current crop. Atleast he has the arm strength and can make just about any throw that Stafford can so the offense shouldn't have to change up much if Stafford were to miss some time.

I just saw that the Patriots traded Ryan Mallett to the Texans for a conditional 7th round pick. I know he hasn't shown anything in the NFL but he definitely has the physical tools coming out of college a few years ago. Plus learning under Brady and Belichick for a few years shouldn't hurt either. So I think if I were the Lions I would've made that trade cause I would have more faith in him as a backup than our current crop. Atleast he has the arm strength and can make just about any throw that Stafford can so the offense shouldn't have to change up much if Stafford were to miss some time.

He's regressed big time, and he had a nice arm, but a 10 cent head. He looked terrible in preseason, nothing to see here folks.

Makes sense to me. How does 2 straight losing seasons with low expectations and a fired coaching staff translate into high expectations?

I was begging the question re: a select group of folks who claimed that the Lions would be ranked in the top 10 going into 2014 simply because they had replaced Schwartz.

He's regressed big time, and he had a nice arm, but a 10 cent head. He looked terrible in preseason, nothing to see here folks.

Didn't realize he regressed that bad, I knew his head was always a bit of a question but all offseason a few of the football "gurus" I follow on Twitter kept hyping him up and talking about teams that need a starter should trade for him. I also like backup QBs that can bring the same things physically as your starting QB so if they come in you don't have to adjust the playbook much at all which is what made Mallett attractive to me. But if he is as horrible as you suggest than yeah I wouldn't touch him either.

Didn't realize he regressed that bad, I knew his head was always a bit of a question but all offseason a few of the football "gurus" I follow on Twitter kept hyping him up and talking about teams that need a starter should trade for him. I also like backup QBs that can bring the same things physically as your starting QB so if they come in you don't have to adjust the playbook much at all which is what made Mallett attractive to me. But if he is as horrible as you suggest than yeah I wouldn't touch him either.

I was really disappointed, always thought he should have been a good pro, but I don't see it happening from here.

Now Connor Cook, on the other hand...if there was one college QB I could build my team around, it would be him.

If Belichick couldn't do anything with him, what makes anyone think the Lions could?

He was an idiot at Michigan, an idiot at Arkansas, and likely an idiot for the Pats.

They were lucky to get any kind of pick for him, he's nothing. He'll be out of the league next year.

Got it. Agree totally. And the next hire is all Bill Jr. (unless his mother is more involved than one might expect). I'd say the sooner he puts his stamp on the team, the better.

All due respect to Ford Sr., but thank god he's not hiring the next GM.

I don't disagree but I wonder if there is ownership-level leadership/representation in this organization at this point...if Mrs. Ford is involved hopefully she's either (a) a secretly good football mind (doubtful) or (b) has her son helping her (probable), or she has just abdicated to Jr. Then you have to wonder how serious Jr. is about it, and then how capable he is (eg he hired Millen). Or is Lewand entrusted to run things? Or does he defer to Mayhew? Or is it a team approach? Who knows?

Frankly, until Jr. emerges clearly as the owner/leader this FO remains a mystery and a muddle to me. And Jr. does not inspire confidence with the Millen decision....call it a Mulligan (or Milligan?), everybody makes mistakes, but that was a collossal F-up that Jr. took forever to help resolve, even to the current detriment of the team 10+ years later.

To be clear, I like the idea of keeping the Fords involved in some way, provided that they find the right mind to put at the helm (a football's version of DD). Someone who has a proven track record and who will be trusted to make it happen. Until that happens, IMHO, Lions' fans should not be comfortable at all or in any way shape or form with the current FO.

I don't disagree but I wonder if there is ownership-level leadership/representation in this organization at this point...if Mrs. Ford is involved hopefully she's either (a) a secretly good football mind (doubtful) or (b) has her son helping her (probable), or she has just abdicated to Jr. Then you have to wonder how serious Jr. is about it, and then how capable he is (eg he hired Millen). Or is Lewand entrusted to run things? Or does he defer to Mayhew? Or is it a team approach? Who knows?

You never know, maybe all these years one of his sisters has wanted to run/own the team.

I know there are red flags, but after thinking about it this weekend I would love to see us add Champ Bailey if he can pass a physical. He was cut by the Saints, not due to production, but having to spend too much time in the medical room recovering from his injury from last year.

He's obviously not the player he used to be, but I think he could still be a solid defender who adds gravitas to the secondary.

Also, looking at our roster, I once again proclaim my man love for Mayhew.

The fact that our practice squad is made up entirely of players that we had on cut day is a great indicator of how in tune our personnel staff is with our coaching staff.

I'd love to get Orlovosky off the roster, but that's a Caldwell decision.

Also' date=' looking at our roster, I once again proclaim my man love for Mayhew.

The fact that our practice squad is made up entirely of players that we had on cut day is a great indicator of how in tune our personnel staff is with our coaching staff.

I'd love to get Orlovosky off the roster, but that's a Caldwell decision.[/quote']

So was our practice squad last year.

Lions establish eight-man practice squad

Mayhew could punch a small child in the face and you would do nothing but compliment his impeccable form.

I know there are red flags' date=' but after thinking about it this weekend I would love to see us add Champ Bailey if he can pass a physical. He was cut by the Saints, not due to production, but having to spend too much time in the medical room recovering from his injury from last year.

He's obviously not the player he used to be, but I think he could still be a solid defender who adds gravitas to the secondary.[/quote']

He got burned repeatedly last year. He would have to run a 40 for me. If it's solid, then I'm all for it, but I don't think he can run anymore.

And our roster last year' date=' outside of the receiver position, was quite good.[/quote']

That is a statement up for debate, to be sure. But how exactly does it explain how the front office is so in sync with the coaching staff when the practice squad was comprised on 100% members of our training camp, that was the issue I found odd.

This year we have the practice squad comprised of players who were in training camp = front office in tune with new (and allegedly improved) coaching staff.

Last year the same exact thing happened which, by your rational, would indicate that the front office was in tune with the coaching staff that was fired.

So either the front office being "in tune" with the coaching staff has no indication of coaching staff success (and thus, is useless as any sort of indicator of success) or it is simply a coincidence and has nothing to do with the front office being "in tune" with the coaching staff which again is totally useless.

That is a statement up for debate, to be sure. But how exactly does it explain how the front office is so in sync with the coaching staff when the practice squad was comprised on 100% members of our training camp, that was the issue I found odd.

This year we have the practice squad comprised of players who were in training camp = front office in tune with new (and allegedly improved) coaching staff.

Last year the same exact thing happened which, by your rational, would indicate that the front office was in tune with the coaching staff that was fired.

So either the front office being "in tune" with the coaching staff has no indication of coaching staff success (and thus, is useless as any sort of indicator of success) or it is simply a coincidence and has nothing to do with the front office being "in tune" with the coaching staff which again is totally useless.

A front office that can assemble players that the coaching staff likes does not assure good coaching, only that it is evidence of good personnel work.

If this team has such a great roster (again!), and they got rid of the lousy HC who was the source of all of the Lions' ills, then why are the Lions still rated to finish middle-pack this year? Could it be that the national experts don't believe in the talent level of this team, or did the FO hire the wrong HC? I'm going with #1 and I'm guessing #2 isn't good enough to make up for it.

Lucky bounces over a 16 game schedule does at least offer hope that this 8 win team can win 10 games and a playoff berth. That should be good enough to keep everybody happy for another couple of years regardless of what happens in 2015 and beyond. Kinda like 2010-2013.

Or maybe ownership will decide at some point to put successful football people in charge?

A front office that can assemble players that the coaching staff likes does not assure good coaching' date=' [b']only that it is evidence of good personnel work.

I don't see how there is one iota of evidence for this. The fact that all of our practice squad players came from camp is in no way evident of good personnel work unless you are assuming that our practice squad is without question currently better then if we would have added another player who was cut by another team. For instance, as I have mentioned last year we broke camp with 100% players from our training camp (which you now claim is an indicator of good personnel work), those 8 players totaled a combined 4 games played (3 from Greenwood and one from Austin) with zero impact.

So either good personnel work in terms of practice squad construction results in zero impact on the field, it was Schwartz's fault that he couldn't get those 8 guys to prove useful, or it wasn't actually good personnel work and Mayhew could have potentially found other practice squad players who could make any sort of impact to replace the largely useless squad that came out of camp last year. By my count, 5 out of the 8 practice squad guys who broke camp with the Lions did nothing for the team and are no longer with the team, you mean to tell me that there wasn't one single solitary guy that could have proven more useful than just one of those guys? I could accept your premise of it being good personnel work, if there was any positive impact...there wasn't.

If this team has such a great roster (again!), and they got rid of the lousy HC who was the source of all of the Lions' ills, then why are the Lions still rated to finish middle-pack this year? Could it be that the national experts don't believe in the talent level of this team, or did the FO hire the wrong HC? I'm going with #1 and I'm guessing #2 isn't good enough to make up for it.

Lucky bounces over a 16 game schedule does at least offer hope that this 8 win team can win 10 games and a playoff berth. That should be good enough to keep everybody happy for another couple of years regardless of what happens in 2015 and beyond. Kinda like 2010-2013.

Or maybe ownership will decide at some point to put successful football people in charge?

I definitely think it is a combination of #1 and #2. The team is talented, they have some positions where the talent is clearly there...the issue is the lack of depth throughout most of the roster and the extremely weak secondary. It seems like fans who are optimistic point out at how staked we are in offense and are convinced that we will put up enough offense to win a bunch of games. More pessimistic/realistic fans point out that even with a "stacked" offense, the inconsistent QB play and the inability of our secondary to stop teams from putting up points late in the game is too much for the offense to overcome and will make us lose a lot of (what should be) very winnable games.

In terms of the head coach I don't think many national pundits are enthralled with the hiring, a recent ESPN article had 30 current and former GMs/executives place the head coaches into tiers and then averaged out those rankings into a 1-32. Caldwell was #27 so I think it is fair to say that at least that sampling of the NFL executives community don't view Caldwell as much to write home about.

My worry is that I don't trust Mayhew to create the "revolving door of talent" that other great GMs have been able to do (like DD does with the Tigers). I think it is reasonable to think that after this year the Lions will have to replace both Suh and Fairley, C.J. Mosley will be 32, Tulloch will be 30 and I would expect his play to start to regress, Bush will likewise be 30, Mathis will be 35 so at the very least we will need to find a solid #2 CB (assuming Slay improves and takes over #1 duties which is obviously no guarantee) or possibly a #1 CB. It makes me nervous that we could lose a solid chunk of our best defensive players all the while the rest of our solid defensive players will be on the wrong side of 30 sooner than later. Hopefully the free agent and draft crop proves fruitful because I could see quite a bit of turnover come next year.

The majority of football writers aren't experts. They are idiots.

Mike Greenberg picked the Lions to win the division at 11-5. The season is here, we don't have to speculate anymore.

Haters sit back...the winning starts now.

Mike Greenberg picked the Lions to win the division at 11-5. The season is here, we don't have to speculate anymore.

Haters sit back...the winning starts now.

I hope to hell they start doing something worth cheering for. I am not sure if you could have found a more excited person on the planet back in 2011. I can not imagine how pumped I would be if they actually WON a playoff game. The Lions would literally take over every second of sports talk radio and local TV.

I have this weird feeling in my gut that this IS THE YEAR. They make some serious noise. I pay attention pretty well in the off season, but not nearly as much as I should so a lot of my pre season info comes from the talking heads. There are a LOT of talking heads discussing how good we SHOULD be and how much talent we have on paper.

A LITTLE bit of luck and this could be our year. I am trying to shrug off the battered lions fan syndrome I have had for 30 years, but I have never actually gone into the season thinking they could make a HUGE run at it. Never. Not one time in the last 30 years (the runs from the early 90's I was too young to really get into it so I never really thought about it much...I just enjoyed watching every game), but there is something about this year. Maybe it is the new coach. Maybe it is my expectation for Stafford and CJ hooking up for ungod like numbers with all the penalties they will be calling on guys trying to cover CJ and how scared db/corners are going to be to breathe on receivers.

Maybe it is the upgrades in the off season. I am not sure what it is, bt it got me to drop a 100.00 on them to win the whole thing at 34-1. Maybe I should have dropped 1000.00.