sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

PFF ranked us as the 11th best roster in the NFL today

You think that is fair? I think it is actually on the higher side, I would have expected more in the 13-16 range. But not out of the realm of possibility.

Can't say I saw Houston getting cut, I had hoped he'd bounce back from injury to be serviceable. Here's to hoping that all the Slay puff pieces are true...

Calvin Johnson -- Detroit Lions need to win a Super Bowl - ESPN

Johnson credited new coach Jim Caldwell for the team's optimism heading into this season.

"It's an overall change and vibe here, and we love it," Johnson told NFL Network. "We're going to go out and bust our butts every day because Jim is such a great guy, a great leader for our team. And he's helped bring us together, and we're doing a lot of stuff on our own off the field to keep that camaraderie going."

This is the stuff I love about Caldwell. At his introductory press conference you could tell that Caldwell was a guy who would be respected and have everyone the same page. With Schwartz everything seemed too disjointed. I like the confidence Calvin is bringing to the table.

Really excited for this Lions season.

Chat with Lions writer Carlos Monarrez

......Any developments on how Stafford is looking so far?

It's so hard to tell from the little we've seen in OTAs and minicamp with rules preventing tackling and contact. I will say this: I have not been impressed with his accuracy on shorter throws. Every QB misses a few here and there, but just hasn't looked great to me. For as much as the new regime is "helping him," that also requires a lot of adjustment on Stafford's part. Not easy. Sometimes change helps, but sometimes it just messes you up even more........

......What is the team chemistry like this offseason? Are the players buying into Jim Caldwell and the new styles of Lombardi and Austin?

Let me ask you this. Have you ever worked somewhere where your boss was fired? When the new boss came in, how was the 'chemistry' among workers? It's like the Who sings: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Too much is made of 'chemistry.' They're pros. Some get along, some stay away from each other.

That being said, they're all very quietly and carefully saying they like Caldwell because he doesn't have to yell and scream and treats them with respect and like grown ups. That's more of a tacit indictment of Schwartz's yelling and barking style.........

.....Is M. Leshoure done with Lions? Riddick seems to have passed him at least in hype.

They'll keep four running backs and I think he's the best fourth option. But unless something dramatic happens, he should be gone after this year.....

Calvin Johnson -- Detroit Lions need to win a Super Bowl - ESPN

This is the stuff I love about Caldwell. At his introductory press conference you could tell that Caldwell was a guy who would be respected and have everyone the same page. With Schwartz everything seemed too disjointed. I like the confidence Calvin is bringing to the table.

Really excited for this Lions season.

hey, I have a jeremy bonderman change up to sell you. He's been working on it and it looks great this spring!

No one should expect anything from this team until they actually go win something. National expectations for the Lions this year are pretty low, and they should be. This team just never wins anything. Even when it's handed to them

I just noticed the Lions have the latest starting date for training camp out of all NFL teams. The first practice for the Lions is July 28th, every other team starts by July 26th at the latest. The bills started today, a whole extra week, bet their players didn't like that.

hey, I have a jeremy bonderman change up to sell you. He's been working on it and it looks great this spring!

I would say this has nothing to do with anything.

I would say this has nothing to do with anything.

Both are offseason fluff pieces that are nothing but speculation. The article states that the goal for the Lions is winning the Super Bowl (along with every other team in the NFL) and that Caldwell is such a nice guy and has been able to bring everyone together (except for his inability to convince Suh to participate in voluntary practices). What would you expect at this point in the offseason...the mild-mannered Calvin Johnson to bash the brand new head coach that already is struggling to corral one of the other team leaders? Proclaim how he and others aren't going to work their butts off every day (which, as a professional athlete, should be the expectation regardless of who is coaching) because the coach is already being such a douche before the first real team practices even starts? This is 100% fluff and has absolutely no correlation to future performance, very similar to the yearly Bonderman change-up articles. I don't fault you for being excited, but I also take into consideration that 90% of articles written about all NFL teams around this time of year are intended to excite their respective fan bases.

It's probably because I am naturally more of a pessimist when it comes to the Lions but I personally take more out of the articles like the one with Carlos Monarrez, a writer who isn't directly paid by the Lions organization. I EXPECT those on the Lion's payroll to conform and say what they are supposed to say, I would much rather hear the truth or at least the opinions of those who jobs aren't on the line if they speak their true opinions.

Both are offseason fluff pieces that are nothing but speculation. The article states that the goal for the Lions is winning the Super Bowl (along with every other team in the NFL) and that Caldwell is such a nice guy and has been able to bring everyone together (except for his inability to convince Suh to participate in voluntary practices). What would you expect at this point in the offseason...the mild-mannered Calvin Johnson to bash the brand new head coach that already is struggling to corral one of the other team leaders? Proclaim how he and others aren't going to work their butts off every day (which, as a professional athlete, should be the expectation regardless of who is coaching) because the coach is already being such a douche before the first real team practices even starts? This is 100% fluff and has absolutely no correlation to future performance, very similar to the yearly Bonderman change-up articles. I don't fault you for being excited, but I also take into consideration that 90% of articles written about all NFL teams around this time of year are intended to excite their respective fan bases.

It's probably because I am naturally more of a pessimist when it comes to the Lions but I personally take more out of the articles like the one with Carlos Monarrez, a writer who isn't directly paid by the Lions organization. I EXPECT those on the Lion's payroll to conform and say what they are supposed to say, I would much rather hear the truth or at least the opinions of those who jobs aren't on the line if they speak their true opinions.

I remember a certain someone getting pretty upset with me for suggesting such earlier in the offseason lol ;)

Both are offseason fluff pieces that are nothing but speculation.

It's speculative that Schwartz was a yeller and that Caldwell is pretty calm? This has been documented many times over. All I was saying is that it is nice to have a calm voice behind the team.

Relating a fluff piece to another simply takes away from debating the topic, no reason to add it.

I remember a certain someone getting pretty upset with me for suggesting such earlier in the offseason lol ;)

I don't think I have ever argued against me being pessimistic towards the Lions, it was more so that I wasn't a "fan" or that I wanted the Lions to lose for my own enjoyment.

It's speculative that Schwartz was a yeller and that Caldwell is pretty calm? This has been documented many times over. All I was saying is that it is nice to have a calm voice behind the team.

Relating a fluff piece to another simply takes away from debating the topic, no reason to add it.

It's speculative to assume that because Caldwell is "pretty calm" he will bring the Lions any closer to winning a Super Bowl.

It's speculative to assume that because Caldwell is "pretty calm" he will bring the Lions any closer to winning a Super Bowl.

Of course it is. But that's not the topic at hand. The topic was me personally liking the different approaches.

Of course it is. But that's not the topic at hand. The topic was me personally liking the different approaches.

And that's fine, but what has his "pretty calm" approach done to benefit the Lions in any discernible way? You stated "This is the stuff I love about Caldwell"...what "stuff?" That he is praised by arguably the most mild-mannered player on the Lions? If the "stuff" you love about coaches is their ability to get talked up in the offseason by their own players, then I would suspect you would love and be excited for any coach on nearly every team.

If Caldwell has some innate ability to bring people together through his confidence and calm demeanor, then why wasn't he able to convince Suh to participate in voluntary work outs with the rest of his team? Didn't seem like the two were necessarily "on the same page." I respect that you are excited for the team and pumped for the new coach at the helm, I just don't see much in that article or the offseason at large that warrants much excitement. I'll personally wait until the new calm coach has played a few games and take all the offseason fluff pieces with a grain of salt.

And that's fine, but what has his "pretty calm" approach done to benefit the Lions in any discernible way? You stated "This is the stuff I love about Caldwell"...what "stuff?" That he is praised by arguably the most mild-mannered player on the Lions? If the "stuff" you love about coaches is their ability to get talked up in the offseason by their own players, then I would suspect you would love and be excited for any coach on nearly every team.

If Caldwell has some innate ability to bring people together through his confidence and calm demeanor, then why wasn't he able to convince Suh to participate in voluntary work outs with the rest of his team? Didn't seem like the two were necessarily "on the same page." I respect that you are excited for the team and pumped for the new coach at the helm, I just don't see much in that article or the offseason at large that warrants much excitement. I'll personally wait until the new calm coach has played a few games and take all the offseason fluff pieces with a grain of salt.

Dude, the "stuff" is just that he is calm. That's all. I appreciate calmness in folks. I have tons of excitement for this season, mainly because Schwartz us gone.

I don't think I have ever argued against me being pessimistic towards the Lions, it was more so that I wasn't a "fan" or that I wanted the Lions to lose for my own enjoyment.

Being a Lions fan is hard on folk. I'll just leave it at that

Dude, the "stuff" is just that he is calm. That's all. I appreciate calmness in folks. I have tons of excitement for this season, mainly because Schwartz us gone.

That's fine, I do agree that he is calm...not sure if that is a positive or a negative. Guess we will see. I'm not 100% sure I'm on the people respect him and he will get everyone "on the same page" bandwagon quite yet. He went on record as saying he wants every player in camp for as much time as allowed, that didn't happen...not everyone was quite on the same page. But, to be fair, he has time to change all of that. He needs to win, this year...anything less than winning 9+ games, making the playoffs, and winning a playoff game (even the wild card game) would be a major disappointment and should lead to people losing their jobs (it won't, but it should)...in my opinion.

I was all aboard the Matt Millen express. Then I was all aboard the Jim Schwartz train. I like Jim Caldwell - I think he's a good man, but I'm done trying to figure out what it will take to turn this team around. I'll just watch the games & root for them & let the chips fall where they may. Predicting is killing me.