sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

Dana Wakiji ‏@FSDwakiji 4m

#Tigers Chamberlain and #Lions Suh are good friends. Suh told him Detroit was a great place to play.

Dana Wakiji ‏@FSDwakiji 4m

#Tigers Chamberlain and #Lions Suh are good friends. Suh told him Detroit was a great place to play.

Bad sign. Maybe Suh really does not want to stay in Detroit and this is a diversion tactic to throw off fans. Possibly Chamberlain is even in on the ruse, with a "fake" endorsement so that Suh does not take a PR hit in Detroit by stating his true intentions to seek free agency.

Bad sign. Maybe Suh really does not want to stay in Detroit and this is a diversion tactic to throw off fans. Possibly Chamberlain is even in on the ruse, with a "fake" endorsement so that Suh does not take a PR hit in Detroit by stating his true intentions to seek free agency.

I think you nailed it on the head. Much more concise than Bombers

I wouldn't take Ebron.If we are worried about TE just resign Pettigrew. He is better than any college TE coming out.

For one I disagree by a very large amount. For two, I'd like both.

The Lions can trade Suh right now, if they can get a home run offer for him. I'd check with St.Louis, and check if they would part with 2 and 13 plus, and that would be the price for him.

Ebron over Sammie Watkins or Marquise Lee?

Absolutely not on Watkins, but if he's going top 3, then he's unobtainable.

The Lions can trade Suh right now, if they can get a home run offer for him. I'd check with St.Louis, and check if they would part with 2 and 13 plus, and that would be the price for him.

I'm obviously not a GM but I don't think they would consider that even a little bit. I mean obviously you could check, but I don't think they would do it for the #2 pick alone. Taking into consideration contract costs, would you make your proposed trade? It doesn't seem that St. Louis is a DT away from Super Bowl contention so they are giving up two cost controlled potential starters for what is going to be one of the highest paid DT in the league when they are still 2-3 years away from being a playoff contender. Just doesn't seem likely.

I'm obviously not a GM but I don't think they would consider that even a little bit. I mean obviously you could check, but I don't think they would do it for the #2 pick alone. Taking into consideration contract costs, would you make your proposed trade? It doesn't seem that St. Louis is a DT away from Super Bowl contention so they are giving up two cost controlled potential starters for what is going to be one of the highest paid DT in the league when they are still 2-3 years away from being a playoff contender. Just doesn't seem likely.

I know, but that is the price. The only reason why I bring up the Rams is they have the goods (picks) I would want. #2 would be Sammy Watkins, #10 would be Ebron, and Jernigan at 13 makes a lot of sense. The Lions would have their cake, and could eat it, too.

I know, but that is the price. The only reason why I bring up the Rams is they have the goods (picks) I would want. #2 would be Sammy Watkins, #10 would be Ebron, and Jernigan at 13 makes a lot of sense. The Lions would have their cake, and could eat it, too.

Yeah, that would be ideal. Just unlikely...but for sure a dream scenario.

Wouldn't touch Jernigan before the third round. I don't like lazy, poorly conditioned defensive tackles. Give me Caraun Reid over Jernigan.

And, in a vacuum, I'd trade the number 2 and 13 for Suh in a heartbeat. The Rams would be in a bit of a rough spot though due to Bradford's contract.

If I'm the Lions, I'd be hard pressed to trade a player of Suh's quality.

And' date=' in a vacuum, I'd trade the number 2 and 13 for Suh in a heartbeat. The Rams would be in a bit of a rough spot though due to Bradford's contract.

If I'm the Lions, I'd be hard pressed to trade a player of Suh's quality.[/quote']

That's all fine and good, I just don't think a single NFL GM would do the same.

Wouldn't touch Jernigan before the third round. I don't like lazy' date=' poorly conditioned defensive tackles. Give me Caraun Reid over Jernigan.[/quote']

Why is that your impression of Jernigan?

That's all fine and good, I just don't think a single NFL GM would do the same.

You'd be wrong about that. Suh is an elite franchise player in his prime, those don't come around often.

If a team had the capital to make such a move, we'd have offers. We just shouldn't take them.

You'd probably get the 13 for Suh. Plus maybe a 3rd next year. He's about equal value to Revis I'd say.

Revis was coming off an injury, has a history of being upset with his contract and plays in the back end of the defense. Many teams wouldn't invest as much money in their back end as the Jets or Bucs do.

Why is that your impression of Jernigan?

Auburn's final scoring drive, Jernigan was on the sidelines sucking wind. That bothers me. He has a lot of talent, but defensive tackle is a high-bust position. I prefer hard working technicians at the position over raw athleticism.

You'd be wrong about that. Suh is an elite franchise player in his prime' date=' those don't come around often.

If a team had the capital to make such a move, we'd have offers. We just shouldn't take them.

Revis was coming off an injury, has a history of being upset with his contract and plays in the back end of the defense. Many teams wouldn't invest as much money in their back end as the Jets or Bucs do.

Auburn's final scoring drive, Jernigan was on the sidelines sucking wind. That bothers me. He has a lot of talent, but defensive tackle is a high-bust position. I prefer hard working technicians at the position over raw athleticism.[/quote']

We clearly have different viewpoints, but let me ask your this. When was the last time ANY high salaried player was traded for two top draft picks? So for this to happen you would need a team that had deep pockets, lots of cap space, was one piece away from winning a Super Bowl, and that piece was a defensive tackle. Just never going to happen, no matter how much you value Suh. I don't even think that we should resign Suh at all, if we pay as much as we do to Suh, Stafford, Johnson, and soon Fairley and Delmas we simply won't have enough money to create the amount of depth necessary to be a Super Bowl contender. I would personally keep Suh over Stafford, but I don't see the front office making that decision. Suh is a good player, but we can't afford to spend that much on our D-Line, especially defensive tackle.

You'd be wrong about that. Suh is an elite franchise player in his prime' date=' those don't come around often.

Auburn's final scoring drive, Jernigan was on the sidelines sucking wind. That bothers me. He has a lot of talent, but defensive tackle is a high-bust position. I prefer hard working technicians at the position over raw athleticism.[/quote']

At the very least, a team would rather have Clowney than Suh given the contracts. Also, while I value a DL over a DB in a vaccuum, true shut down CBs are more rare than impact DLs.

Jernigan had the flu, Auburn plays a very fast tempo and FSU rotates their DL. Nobody is making any sort of big deal about that anymore. If more comes out about him being lazy, so be it, but using a 5 second overhyped TV moment to judge a guy is silly.

We clearly have different viewpoints, but let me ask your this. When was the last time ANY high salaried player was traded for two top draft picks? So for this to happen you would need a team that had deep pockets, lots of cap space, was one piece away from winning a Super Bowl, and that piece was a defensive tackle. Just never going to happen, no matter how much you value Suh. I don't even think that we should resign Suh at all, if we pay as much as we do to Suh, Stafford, Johnson, and soon Fairley and Delmas we simply won't have enough money to create the amount of depth necessary to be a Super Bowl contender. I would personally keep Suh over Stafford, but I don't see the front office making that decision. Suh is a good player, but we can't afford to spend that much on our D-Line, especially defensive tackle.

I think taht whole angle about our cap situation is terribly overblown. Most teams are going to have a pretty big chunk tied up in their top few players. We might only get 3 elite players instead of 4, but they are also better than their counterparts and arguably the most dominant at their respective positions. Fairley will not be re-signed IMO and Delmas' number is inconsequential. He'll probably be let go or restructured this offseason anyways.

I think taht whole angle about our cap situation is terribly overblown. Most teams are going to have a pretty big chunk tied up in their top few players. We might only get 3 elite players instead of 4, but they are also better than their counterparts and arguably the most dominant at their respective positions. Fairley will not be re-signed IMO and Delmas' number is inconsequential. He'll probably be let go or restructured this offseason anyways.

At least we don't have the Cowboys' cap situation, woof.

The last, closest example was Jared Allen for a first and two thirds but yes, it would require the right situation for a trade to be possible.

I'd let Fairley and Delmas walk (I'm not against cutting Delmas this year due to the cap). Also, Fairley is more than just a DT - he can line up at any position on the defensive line (the simplicity of the Detroit defensive scheme is something I hope will be addressed under Austin). Would love to see us build a Seattle-like package with Suh lined up at defensive end in the Red Bryant position. Our long term investments need to be Suh and Ansah, and luckily Ansah's contract should be good until the new TV contract comes in (raising the salary cap).

At the very least, a team would rather have Clowney than Suh given the contracts. Also, while I value a DL over a DB in a vaccuum, true shut down CBs are more rare than impact DLs.

Jernigan had the flu, Auburn plays a very fast tempo and FSU rotates their DL. Nobody is making any sort of big deal about that anymore. If more comes out about him being lazy, so be it, but using a 5 second overhyped TV moment to judge a guy is silly.

Jernigan's conditioning was questioned before the game, that's just the most explicit example. But understand that I am hyper critical of defensive linemen - they scare me coming out of college (so much so that my preference was Eric Berry over Suh in 2010). In my book, there are few positions where raw talent translates more poorly than the defensive line. Technique is so important.

That's one reason keeping Jim Washburn is so important for Detroit too. He is arguably the best defensive line coach in the game.

The last' date=' closest example was Jared Allen for a first and two thirds but yes, it would require the right situation for a trade to be possible.

I'd let Fairley and Delmas walk (I'm not against cutting Delmas this year due to the cap). Also, Fairley is more than just a DT - he can line up at any position on the defensive line (the simplicity of the Detroit defensive scheme is something I hope will be addressed under Austin). Would love to see us build a Seattle-like package with Suh lined up at defensive end in the Red Bryant position. Our long term investments need to be Suh and Ansah, and luckily Ansah's contract should be good until the new TV contract comes in (raising the salary cap). [/b']

Jernigan's conditioning was questioned before the game, that's just the most explicit example. But understand that I am hyper critical of defensive linemen - they scare me coming out of college (so much so that my preference was Eric Berry over Suh in 2010). In my book, there are few positions where raw talent translates more poorly than the defensive line. Technique is so important.

That's one reason keeping Jim Washburn is so important for Detroit too. He is arguably the best defensive line coach in the game.

That is what I was saying, no high salary player is going to get what they are probably "worth" trades like that just don't happen in the NFL. But I actually agree with everything else, they can keep one of Suh or Fairley, I would pick Fairley simply due to cost but I wouldn't complain if your scenario played out.

.....But I actually agree with everything else, they can keep one of Suh or Fairley, I would pick Fairley simply due to cost but I wouldn't complain if your scenario played out.

I would pick Suh based on his play and health. Fairley seems to get injured every season.

I would pick Suh based on his play and health. Fairley seems to get injured every season.

Fairley has showed improvement every season and played in 15 games last year so injuries weren't a huge problem. Also, I tend to consider the fact that the money saved would be wisely spent somewhere else. If we let go of Suh we would be able to afford a nice cover corner with the money saved...but that is assuming the money is used well.