sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

At least we can all agree that Xanders is useful and we are happy to have him back for another season.

Everyone thought he was gone for sure, turns out he wasn't even a finalist for the Dolphins job.

We have one season of data, how can you possibly say it is a pretty typical draft? Name me one draft that had the amount of immediate impact like this years draft?

We drafted the NFL Offensive Rookie of the year in the third round, the rookie who leads the league in sacks, an undrafted TE who caught 7 TD passes, an undrafted OT who took over as right tackle by the end of the year, a CB with some potential, a punter who could realistically be our solution for the next decade, and Taylor and Reddick could both end up playing decent roles for the team, with Taylor possibly being a starting DE if we don't keep Young or draft another.

Ansah: Starter

Slay: Starter/Role-player

Warford: Starter

Taylor: Role-player

Martin: Starter

Riddick: Role-player

Fauria: Role-player/Potential Starter

Waddle: Starter/Role-player

I don't remember any drafts and signings like those over the last 4 years, especially in their rookie year.

Undrafted players aren't part of your draft. All I'm saying is lets not annoint anyone just yet. If he was responsible for Waddle, I give him a lot of credit for that. We dont' really know though.

Well that's my point. We have one season worth of data. I'm not ripping Xanders by any means. I think he's good at what he does. I'm simply saying that he landed 2 starters in his first draft and the goal typically is to add 3 or more for a truly good draft. Taylor or Slay may become that player, but Bentley and Greenwood might too. Warford was a great pick, but other than him, outside the first round(where we know Mayhew is great), the rest of the draft gets an incomplete grade.

Waddle and Fauria were the difference, but they didn't find anything besides a P after round 4. Its always nice to find undrafted guys, but to some degree that is luck, or you would have taken them in the 5th,6th or 7th instead of Hepburn and Fuller. Fauria also faded a lot after teams figured out he was a one trick pony. I'm not really sure what he is going forward. I wouldn't get your expectations up going forward.

Though they weren't draft picks, this about talent evaluation and we landed Bell and Carey the year before out of nowhere. Both have been pretty impactful. Who knows who was responsible for landing any of those guys.

I count three starters: Ansah, Warford, Martin. So that would be "a truly good draft", using your terms. :grin:

Also, I don't think you can say Fauria faded. He had more catches in the last 8 games than the first 8 games, and if you remove the fluke game at Cleveland where he had 3 TDs he was very consistent. Now, granted, he was only catching 1-3 balls per game and to be a force he'll need to step that up and not just be relied upon in the red zone.

He caught 7 TDs all year and that was the only thing he did effectively. 5 of them came in the first 6 games. He caught an average of about a ball a game over the course of the season and its just about an even split between the first and the second halves(8-10). He had more games with zero catches than he did games where he had more than one catch.

More so, he had 11 catches all year not in the end zone.

He caught 7 TDs all year and that was the only thing he did effectively. 5 of them came in the first 6 games. He caught an average of about a ball a game over the course of the season and its just about an even split between the first and the second halves(8-10). He had more games with zero catches than he did games where he had more than one catch.

More so, he had 11 catches all year not in the end zone.

Bottom Line:

First 8 games: 8 catches, 81 yards, 5 TDs (3 in one game)

Last 8 games: 10 catches, 126 yards, 2 TDs

Not terribly productive outside of the red zone, as you noted, but I don't think he can be accused of "fading"...he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the earlier stages of the season.

There are probably a lot of reasons that Fauria didn't get drafted despite his size. From what I saw of his blocking and route running, getting that use out of him in the red zone was a pretty nice addition for what he is.

Well that's my point. We have one season worth of data. I'm not ripping Xanders by any means. I think he's good at what he does. I'm simply saying that he landed 2 starters in his first draft and the goal typically is to add 3 or more for a truly good draft. Taylor or Slay may become that player, but Bentley and Greenwood might too. Warford was a great pick, but other than him, outside the first round(where we know Mayhew is great), the rest of the draft gets an incomplete grade.

Waddle and Fauria were the difference, but they didn't find anything besides a P after round 4. Its always nice to find undrafted guys, but to some degree that is luck, or you would have taken them in the 5th,6th or 7th instead of Hepburn and Fuller. Fauria also faded a lot after teams figured out he was a one trick pony. I'm not really sure what he is going forward. I wouldn't get your expectations up going forward.

Though they weren't draft picks, this about talent evaluation and we landed Bell and Carey the year before out of nowhere. Both have been pretty impactful. Who knows who was responsible for landing any of those guys.

The only real issue I had with your post was you claiming this draft was an "average Mayhew draft" this was by far and away the best draft in the last 12 years when judging their impact during a rookie season. I'm not saying it was a perfect draft by any stretch, but it was easily the best in recent memory. I do consider undrafted free agents as part of the draft, if you choose not to that is fine...one thing I think we can both agree on is that over the last 11 seasons we haven't had a single undrafted free agent make any sort of impact on the team. This year we got 2 potential starters UDFA, I would say that is impressive.

Detroit Lions All-Time Draft History - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Yes, 2009 was a decent draft but even that draft didn't look good until a few years down the line. Delmas played well his rookie season, Levy was pretty average before this year, Sammie Lee Hill was a decent backup for a few years, Pettigrew has been overall unimpressive considering he was a first round pick and Stafford is Stafford, some love him some don't think he is where he should be yet. Either way, I would still consider this years draft significantly better from top to bottom than any other in the last 12. IMO, that makes this draft significantly better than "average".

Edit:

And you are correct, we don't know 100% who is responsible for picking up which player, but personally (and let me stress this is my personal opinion), I will give credit to the guy with history of great draft picks and talent evaluation as opposed to the front office staff who have been unable to sign any UDFA of note over the last 11 years. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by EchO

I think it was a good draft paired with a great UDFA (Waddle) and a serviceable one (Fauria).

I would guess Xanders was at least on board with taking a look at Waddle and Fauria.

There are probably a lot of reasons that Fauria didn't get drafted despite his size. From what I saw of his blocking and route running, getting that use out of him in the red zone was a pretty nice addition for what he is.

I'm not the biggest Fauria fan, but he even ended up grading positively as a blocker according to ProFootballFocus.

I'm not the biggest Fauria fan' date=' but he even ended up grading positively as a blocker according to ProFootballFocus.[/quote']

Interesting, a few plays of him getting blown up as a blocker stuck in my mind I guess. I wonder how often he was asked to block in relation to other TE's, maybe he was being protected with what he was asked to do? I just remember that being a big knock on him so that influenced my opinion.

I'm not the biggest Fauria fan' date=' but he even ended up grading positively as a blocker according to ProFootballFocus.[/quote']

I think he has potential and he is extremely low risk, moderately high reward player. Even if all he ever becomes is a decent blocking TE who is a great red zone target, I would take it. After years of Pettigrew's poor catching ability I wouldn't mind having a sure handed TE to come in during key times at a game. Hopefully his route running and blocking come in time.

Interesting, a few plays of him getting blown up as a blocker stuck in my mind I guess. I wonder how often he was asked to block in relation to other TE's, maybe he was being protected with what he was asked to do? I just remember that being a big knock on him so that influenced my opinion.

I think he was definitely managed well in what they asked him to do, treating him similar to Scheffler.

I think it's easier to have a good draft when there are good players from the pool to be drafted from. This year in particular looks like a strong strong draft, and looks to be very deep in receivers and corners that matches the Lions needs well. Maybe the Lions should draft Ebron in the first, I do believe the TE depth gets sketchy after the first top players.

What about Stanley Jean baptiste in round two? A big corner to go with our little speedy guys.

I'm very big on the top 2 TEs. I don't know if I"d pass on Watkins, but I'd probably take Ebron and Amaro over Lee or any other WR. Should be some nice WRs in the 2nd and 3rd in this draft.

Suh fires agent

........Suh’s decision to change agents surprised some in the Lions organization and comes at interesting time considering the team’s stated desire to get a new deal done with its star defensive tackle.

Suh is set to count $22.4 million against the salary cap in 2014. His contract voids five days after next year’s Super Bowl, and if the Lions don’t get a new deal done they won’t be able use the franchise tag to keep him in Detroit.

At 120 percent of his cap figure, Suh would cost $26.895 million to franchise next year, and his could number would include another $9.7 million because of past restructures.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew reiterated at the Senior Bowl this week that he hopes to get a new deal done with Suh this off-season, but he said it’s not imperative for that contract to happen before free agency begins March 11.........

What do you guys think of Suh changing agents right before his contract negotiations? Is it a good or bad sign? I thought I read that his now fired agent was more than happy to negotiate an extension with the Lions.

If the numbers are correct in the article, to franchise Suh it would cost ~27M PLUS ~10M?

Edited by nd1377

I never know whats going on around draft time. I watch no college football outside of Michigan, most of the guys I have never even heard of.

Suh fires agent

What do you guys think of Suh changing agents right before his contract negotiations? Is it a good or bad sign? I thought I read that his now fired agent was more than happy to negotiate an extension with the Lions.

If the numbers are correct in the article, to franchise Suh it would cost ~27M PLUS ~10M?

Bad sign. Maybe Suh really does not want to stay in Detroit and this is a delay tactic to put off negotiations. Possibly the agents are even in on the ruse, with a "fake" firing so that Suh does not take a PR hit in Detroit by stating his true intentions to seek free agency.

What about Stanley Jean baptiste in round two? A big corner to go with our little speedy guys.

Still not sold on his skills and I'm worried about going with the superficially attractive pick. I love good length and size on a corner, but I don't think SJB is worth a high second.

Jaylen Watkins is intriguing though.

Edited by Stormin' Norman

Bad sign. Maybe Suh really does not want to stay in Detroit and this is a delay tactic to put off negotiations. Possibly the agents are even in on the ruse, with a "fake" firing so that Suh does not take a PR hit in Detroit by stating his true intentions to seek free agency.

Or maybe Suh was intrigued by signing with someone like Jay Z to maximize his out of football deals, perhaps even providing more flexibility in his contract negotiations.

It's neither bad nor good at this point.

Suh fires agent

We will all be in suspense until the new agent is announced.

Edit: Just stumbled onto this rumor about him signing with Jay-Z:

http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/is-jay-z-signing-the-detroit-lions-ndamukong-suh-to-roc-nation-sports/

Edited by Jason_R

I laughed out loud! You really have a fevered, fertile brain.