sagnam

2014 Lions Offseason

Glad that Mayhew and Suh's reps are already working on a contract extension.

This shouldn't be too hard a deal to work out, I'd imagine the final numbers to average somewhere between Suh's rookie deal (5/68 - 12.3 per year) and Clay Matthews (5/66 - 13.2 per year).

Atkins got 5/$55 million so I imagine Suh gets a little more.

Michael Rothstein ‏@mikerothstein 16h

Mayhew doesn't think Brian Xanders will be with the #Lions for long, as in he'll get another GM shot somewhere down the line. Intv w/Miami

Seems like Miami is still interviewing people.

Suh will get a lot more than Atkins, unfortunately. Atkins deal doesn't is over a million less per year than Suh's rookie deal.

Gerald McCoy, whose rookie contract is also more than Atkins, could be an important domino for Suh.

I don't think they'll just pay Suh a **** ton more than his market value because his rookie deal was inflated. They might have to Julius Peppers him if that's the case.

It stinks that Stafford and Suh were under the old rookie pay scale.

Stafford's new deal would have been the same either way.

I don't think they'll just pay Suh a **** ton more than his market value because his rookie deal was inflated. They might have to Julius Peppers him if that's the case.

The Clay Matthews deal is probably market value.

You can't compare it to the Atkins deal because it was well below market value due to the leverage the Bengals had. As a fourth round pick, Atkins had made less in his career than Suh does in half a year, would have had to play last year for a base salary of under 600k and could have been franchised for around 9 mil in 2014. That comes to a two year total of 10 mil. By signing the team friendly 5/55, Atkins received $19 million in 2013 alone (15 bonus/4 salary).

So while Suh's rookie deal does take away some the Lions leverage in crafting a new deal - this is all going to come down to Suh's interest in Detroit. If Suh wants to stay, he will play ball closer to the 12.3 number. If he wants to maximize his deal, we probably can't afford 13.5 mil a year.

Stafford's new deal would have been the same either way.

I mistakenly thought some of it still impacted his cap hit during his new deal I guess.

If Suh wants to stay' date=' he will play ball closer to the 12.3 number. If he wants to maximize his deal, we probably can't afford 13.5 mil a year.[/quote']

If the difference is a little over 1 million, the Lions should pay it. Suh is the best defensive tackle in the NFL.

Could be totally off based, but I have a hard time understanding why Xanders would want some "co-GM" role. Don't see how it would be an upgrade to what he currently is with Detroit. Farmer is assistant GM in Cleveland, so it would seem to be a lateral move for him as well - but perhaps the writing is on the wall there.

Why does he have so many enemies?

If he is a Billy Beane type, which is what I gathered from the Facebook posts cited above, he may spend a lot of time challenging the conventional wisdom. That can rub people the wrong way.

Its funny, we've talked up Xanders so much, but now that things have slowed down, the draft looks a bit average. Basically, we nailed the Warford pick and our first rounder. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in Slay, Taylor looks like a long time contributor and Martin should be our P for a long time. That's a solid, pretty typical draft for Mayhew though, not the extreme outlier it has been made out to be. Not a 4-5 starter draft or anything. We really need one of those too. It'd be really nice to find a Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor in the 5th eh.

We did snag Waddle and who knows how that factored in. If Xanders truly loved the kid though, he should have probably taken him over Brandon Hepburn. Either way, I don't want to lose Xanders, but I'm not so sure we are crippled if we do.

The Seahawks drafted Pro-Bowler SS Kam Chancellor in the 5th round in 2010, and Pro-Bowler CB Richard Sherman in the 5th round in 2011. Meanwhile the Lions have drafted around 5 secondary players in the past 2 years and they've all been misses up to this point. If the Lions were the ones who drafted Chancellor and Sherman in those late rounds, we'd probably be discussing our team's chances against Denver right about now. That's how close it is in the NFL...need to find diamonds in the rough in the draft and also get a little lucky, too.

Do we really know if it was the players we drafted or the coaches who failed to develop them as the bigger problem? With new faces on the coaching staff we should be able to figure that out this year. If the new staff can get any of the corners we have drafted to show some big improvements then that alone will be a huge upgrade.

Last offseason I viewed as going very well for the Lions. Lets not forget about Williams, the TE from Alabama, who missed the season due to injury mostly because they just didn't have room at the time to activate him. I still believe he is going to be a serviceable blocking TE. Add in Fauria and Waddle and last years draft produced 6-8 guys that should have real impact on the team next year. Plus signing Quin and Bush were moves they needed to make.

My belief is that if the Lions have another off-season of personnel upgrades equal to last year then they should be expected to contend for a Super Bowl.

The Seahawks drafted Pro-Bowler SS Kam Chancellor in the 5th round in 2010, and Pro-Bowler CB Richard Sherman in the 5th round in 2011. Meanwhile the Lions have drafted around 5 secondary players in the past 2 years and they've all been misses up to this point. If the Lions were the ones who drafted Chancellor and Sherman in those late rounds, we'd probably be discussing our team's chances against Denver right about now. That's how close it is in the NFL...need to find diamonds in the rough in the draft and also get a little lucky, too.

Definitely. To be fair though, just about every team in the league struggles to put a good secondary together. Some of the best teams in the league have struggled with it quite a bit lately. GB,NO and NE come to mind. NE prior to the Talib acquisition at least.

Jason La Conforna reporting Xanders is not a finalist for Miami job.

There's hope for a solid draft after-all. Picks not wasted after the first round, 2nd and 3rd rounders that come through, UDFA's signed and productive, could it happen two years in a row?

Its funny, we've talked up Xanders so much, but now that things have slowed down, the draft looks a bit average. Basically, we nailed the Warford pick and our first rounder. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in Slay, Taylor looks like a long time contributor and Martin should be our P for a long time. That's a solid, pretty typical draft for Mayhew though, not the extreme outlier it has been made out to be. Not a 4-5 starter draft or anything. We really need one of those too. It'd be really nice to find a Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor in the 5th eh.

We did snag Waddle and who knows how that factored in. If Xanders truly loved the kid though, he should have probably taken him over Brandon Hepburn. Either way, I don't want to lose Xanders, but I'm not so sure we are crippled if we do.

We have one season of data, how can you possibly say it is a pretty typical draft? Name me one draft that had the amount of immediate impact like this years draft?

We drafted the NFL Offensive Rookie of the year in the third round, the rookie who leads the league in sacks, an undrafted TE who caught 7 TD passes, an undrafted OT who took over as right tackle by the end of the year, a CB with some potential, a punter who could realistically be our solution for the next decade, and Taylor and Reddick could both end up playing decent roles for the team, with Taylor possibly being a starting DE if we don't keep Young or draft another.

Ansah: Starter

Slay: Starter/Role-player

Warford: Starter

Taylor: Role-player

Martin: Starter

Riddick: Role-player

Fauria: Role-player/Potential Starter

Waddle: Starter/Role-player

I don't remember any drafts and signings like those over the last 4 years, especially in their rookie year.

Edited by EchO

Also something to be said for quality. Ansah, Warford and Waddle weren't just starters - but extremely good starters.

Waddle, in particular, was the best rookie tackle last year.

Well that's my point. We have one season worth of data. I'm not ripping Xanders by any means. I think he's good at what he does. I'm simply saying that he landed 2 starters in his first draft and the goal typically is to add 3 or more for a truly good draft. Taylor or Slay may become that player, but Bentley and Greenwood might too. Warford was a great pick, but other than him, outside the first round(where we know Mayhew is great), the rest of the draft gets an incomplete grade.

Waddle and Fauria were the difference, but they didn't find anything besides a P after round 4. Its always nice to find undrafted guys, but to some degree that is luck, or you would have taken them in the 5th,6th or 7th instead of Hepburn and Fuller. Fauria also faded a lot after teams figured out he was a one trick pony. I'm not really sure what he is going forward. I wouldn't get your expectations up going forward.

Though they weren't draft picks, this about talent evaluation and we landed Bell and Carey the year before out of nowhere. Both have been pretty impactful. Who knows who was responsible for landing any of those guys.