Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

Can you replay it for me? I remember a timeout issue but I cannot remember the specifics.

I posted a profootballtalk article on it somewhere in here. Basically he gave some weird reasoning to call timeouts at the end of the game that allowed the other team to get in better FG position that won the other team the game.

Great.... I want Calwell to do well, but lets be serious, his claim to fame is coaching Manning.

Manning would make anyone look good. Flaco and the rest of the Ravens offense was horrid.

Oh yeah it looks like he is going to hire his crooneys as cordinators. Really the Rutgers OC to be out OC thats embrassing.

I think he will be gone within two years with Mayhew.

Flacco won the Superbowl with Caldwell. I will take that horrid every day.

And the Rutgers guy isn't the OC. How can you say it's embarrassing and not even know the facts?

You are still not following. I don't care what his record in Indy was over three 3 yrs. Indy was irrelevant - Dungy built the program at Indy, not Caldwell. I wanted them to hire a coach that had built a winning tradition somewhere that one did not already exist. No matter how you look at Caldwell's NFL tenures you will not see THAT.

How many of those exist, or were available?

Great.... I want Calwell to do well, but lets be serious, his claim to fame is coaching Manning.

Manning would make anyone look good. Flaco and the rest of the Ravens offense was horrid.

He upgraded the Ravens last year and helped boost them to the Super Bowl. The roster this year was bad on that side of the ball.

This is a valid point. It's not like Mayhew can walk into the "Head Coach Bar" and order something off the top shelf.

Guys like that aren't typically searching for head coaching jobs.

Good question, that is what they pay Mayhew for. Sometimes the guy you need isn't available the year you need him and you hang onto a someone a year longer. If they fired Schwartz without *knowing* they could get someone better this year, that too is bad management. Conversely, sometimes in pro Sports you have to fire or pass over a guy you might not otherwise just because a point comes when you know a better one is going to be available but won't be for long (as in the Tigers hiring Sparky).

The problem with Caldwell at this point is that even if it does turn out to be different, so far this is following the SOL script to a tee. Candidate with medium-at-best credential comes in and wows management with wiz-bang presentation and they all fall over stunned. Maybe they should reverse the process. Identify the best guy *first* and then go to him with a wiz-bang campaign on why they need him and persuade him to take the job.

Like LSG said, the guys you need usually don't need you. If you only wait for guys who want you, and you are the Lions, you might be waiting a long time.

Edited by Gehringer_2

If it's true that teams often take on the demeanor of their coach, this has the potential to be a great hire. Schwartz' teams were undisciplined. I don't think that will be an issue under Caldwell, who I see more in line with Tony Dungy when it comes to leadership style.

So pretty much the FG went from 49 yards to 32 yards. That doesn't seem all that egregious to me. Mistake? Yes. But others made it seem like the Colts went from no chance of losing to losing. When in reality they were most likely to lose the game in either scenario.

Wow, and the Jets had a timeout. So really Caldwell calling the timeout meant nothing.

I am glad people have shared this, the timeout seems to be a non-issue.

Wow, and the Jets had a timeout. So really Caldwell calling the timeout meant nothing.

The Jets were saving their timeout to stop the clock to kick a field goal. So, they were going to rush in another play before Caldwell's bonehead TO, which allowed the Jets to spend time (with a young QB) to call a successful play (against Caldwell's defense).

Good question, that is what they pay Mayhew for. Sometimes the guy you need isn't available the year you need him and you hang onto a someone a year longer. If they fired Schwartz without *knowing* they could get someone better this year, that too is bad management. Conversely, sometimes in pro Sports you have to fire or pass over a guy you might not otherwise just because a point comes when you know a better one is going to be available but won't be for long (as in the Tigers hiring Sparky).

The problem with Caldwell at this point is that even if it does turn out to be different, so far this is following the SOL script to a tee. Candidate with medium-at-best credential comes in and wows management with wiz-bang presentation and they all fall over stunned. Maybe they should reverse the process. Identify the best guy *first* and then go to him with a wiz-bang campaign on why they need him and persuade him to take the job.

Like LSG said, the guys you need usually don't need you. If you only wait for guys who want you, and you are the Lions, you might be waiting a long time.

I don't think there was any realistic option to keep Schwartz another year -- the flip side however is that they kept Schwartz one year too long.

As additional reinforcement of this point: 4 of the 7 HCs hired in 2013 had winning records and 5 of them (including the 4 previously mentioned) had better records than the Lions did in 2013.

Edited by sabretooth

If Austin and Lazor are the coordinators, that's great news.

Austin seems well regarded, and comes from a good defensive system that seems like a fit for the personnel. Lazor helped turn Alex freaking Foles into Tom freaking Brady for 2/3 of a season, far more impressive than what Whisenhunt did with Rivers.

So if the hiring was underwhelming, the rumored coordinators are at least exciting. Hopefully there are no snags.

Well, I look at his track record as:

Indy:

Year 1 - Great

Year 2 - Ok

Year 3 - Terrible

Baltimore:

Year 1 - OK

Year 2 - Terrible

I give him a pass for year 3 in Indy, but I also don't give him much credit for year 1. I think Peyton Manning looks any OC or HC look good on that side of the ball. The defenses in Indy were average to terrible all 3 years he was there.

I don't think he's the worst hire of all time, but he's certainly an uninspiring one. I don't see anything in his track record that suggests he's particularly good or particularly terrible. It's disappointing because while I don't think Whisenhunt was that much better as an overall candidate, he at least came with the idea of being the perfect guy to work with Stafford.

Hopefully Caldwell and whichever OC he settles on will know what they're doing in that department as well, but imo there's much less of a track record to say whether they will either way.

As far as giving him a chance, I'm giving him a chance, I'll watch every game next year, if the Lions do well I'll be delighted. That doesn't mean I have to pretend to think it's a good hire though. I don't like Ian Kinsler as an acquisition for the Tigers, but I still hope he hits a HR every at bat next year. It's the same idea with Caldwell. I hope he does well and I'm certainly not going to be calling for him to be fired after game 1.

I agree with every word.

I'm underwhelmed and perplexed, but I would gladly eat a whole platter of crow.

I don't understand why it is considered an accepted fact that wisenhunt would be great for stafford but Caldwell wouldn't.

I'm not saying Caldwell will be great for stafford, but what is there to indicate that Caldwell is a poor developer of QBs?

Wisenhunt failed at developing Skelton and Kolb from what I can tell.

Are we really going to declare him a QB guru because Warner had a good year under him? Was Warner even that good then?

Big Ben stepped in at 22 and was great, but he was terrible during wisenhunt's final season.

Maybe he is awesome, but it seems like there is a narrative at play here.

I don't understand why it is considered an accepted fact that wisenhunt would be great for stafford but Caldwell wouldn't.

I'm not saying Caldwell will be great for stafford, but what is there to indicate that Caldwell is a poor developer of QBs?

Wisenhunt failed at developing Skelton and Kolb from what I can tell.

Are we really going to declare him a QB guru because Warner had a good year under him? Was Warner even that good then?

Big Ben stepped in at 22 and was great, but he was terrible during wisenhunt's final season.

Maybe he is awesome, but it seems like there is a narrative at play here.

I can only speak for myself but wiz seemed to have a good track record of helping QBs. Caldwell not so much; not bad, but a more limited record. I never saw wiz as "great" or a "guru" though.

And getting Arizona to their first SB with a revived Warner certainly has a ring to it for Lions fans, no?

If Austin and Lazor are the coordinators, that's great news.

Austin seems well regarded, and comes from a good defensive system that seems like a fit for the personnel. Lazor helped turn Alex freaking Foles into Tom freaking Brady for 2/3 of a season, far more impressive than what Whisenhunt did with Rivers.

So if the hiring was underwhelming, the rumored coordinators are at least exciting. Hopefully there are no snags.

Agree with this. I'm really intrigued by Lazor.

This may be on of the worst hiring in NFL history.

There is a reason no other team was interested in Suckwell for a head coach. The Ravens this year were a embrassment ... wel injuries blah blah. Everyteam has injuries.

I think you realize it was a mistake, FWIW.

This may be on of the worst hiring in NFL history.

There is a reason no other team was interested in Suckwell for a head coach. The Ravens this year were a embrassment ... wel injuries blah blah. Everyteam has injuries.

Quality post.

The advantage the Colts gained from calling the timeout was much less than what the Jets gained. There was no point in calling the timeout from the Colts perspective.

The Colts' goal in that situation should have been to let the clock run down rather than stop the clock.

Agree with this. I'm really intrigued by Lazor.

I think a lot of people would have been much happier if Lazor was hired as HC by the sound of other guys wanted. Interviewed for Miami actually. We shall see if Caldwell can make the hire.

The advantage the Colts gained from calling the timeout was much less than what the Jets gained. There was no point in calling the timeout from the Colts perspective.

The Colts' goal in that situation should have been to let the clock run down rather than stop the clock.

That timeout was brutal. Very brutal. Hopefully it was a one-off. Schwartz screwed up the late game clock strategy pretty badly in a game against the Jets as well, but the next time that situation came up (a season or two later iirc), he corrected it. I'm sure Caldwell can do the same.

It shouldn't be a deal-breaker at all. Even Harbaugh screwed up last Sunday against Carolina, picking up what could have been a huge 15-yarder, but he got away with it.