Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

Let's face it, this is an affirmative action hire. The problem is that if the Lions wanted to give a black head coach a chance, Caldwell was the worst one available. I am dumbfounded by this move. There is nothing in Caldwell's resume that suggests he would be a good head coach. His record AS A HEAD COACH is underwhelming. The Fords are too dumb to see it and apparently too busy attending cocktail parties at the NAIAS to be bothered. So they let Mayhew and Lewand make the pick. They were all stunned that Caldwell mapped out every throw Stafford made this past season before his interview. Really?? That impresses you? I've seen college kids do that sort of research before their first job. Maybe Whisenhunt was a little busy to map out Stafford's throws BECAUSE HIS TEAM WAS IN THE PLAYOFFS. Caldwell was sitting at home about to be fired by the Ravens. But, the Ravens were smart enough to wait, because they knew the idiot Lions would jump in and they wouldn't have to fire him and pay his salary.

How stupid of this organization not to even wait to interview Gase or Quinn or Roman. How utterly stupid. Bill Ford Jr is a chip off the old block...he's no different than the old man...I'm not surprised they were influenced by Tony Dungy. He and Peyton gave Caldwell a pity reference...we've all done it for friends we knew are unqualified and would screw up the gig. It's called being a friend. The smartest thing Bill Ford Jr ever did was fire himself as CEO of Ford and fall *** backward into hiring a proven talent like Alan Mulally. One thing is for sure, Mulally did not have a mediocre to bad resume like Caldwell.

This is a good example of using really bad rationale to draw conclusions.

I'm not seeing this at all.

Need more evidence?

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 41s

Teryl Austin is expected to be named Lions defensive coordinator and Ron Prince offensive coordinator or assistant head coach, per source

Apparently the Lions are trying to make a social statement. Maybe these guys are good, I don't know, I never heard of them until now. I'm a little underwhelmed that we hire an uninspiring head coach and now we hear about uninspiring coordinators about to follow. But, I guess they're the best coordinators available?

Honestly I'm not seeing any of this as any sort of evidence of anything race related. This seems like an odd lens to view the hiring through.

I can't speak for others, but I have never given a recommendation for a friend that I knew was unqualified and would screw up the gig.

That written, I haven't been asked to give many recommendations, either.

Need more evidence?

Teryl Austin is expected to be named Lions defensive coordinator and Ron Prince offensive coordinator or assistant head coach, per source

Apparently the Lions are trying to make a social statement. Maybe these guys are good, I don't know, I never heard of them until now. I'm a little underwhelmed that we hire an uninspiring head coach and now we hear about uninspiring coordinators about to follow. But, I guess they're the best coordinators available?

What are you even talking about?

I can't speak for others, but I have never given a recommendation for a friend that I knew was unqualified and would screw up the gig.

That written, I haven't been asked to give many recommendations, either.

Same here, I'm always reluctant to recommend anyone for jobs because it reflects on me.

Let's face it, this is an affirmative action hire.

I disagree with this. Everything seemed to point towards the Lions wanting Whisenhunt... who of course is white.

The problem is that if the Lions wanted to give a black head coach a chance, Caldwell was the worst one available.

How many other AA coaches were out there that fit what was rumored that the Lions were looking for? (HC experience, SuperBowl experience, preferably offensive minded)

The Fords are too dumb to see it and apparently too busy attending cocktail parties at the NAIAS to be bothered. So they let Mayhew and Lewand make the pick.

Don't we routinely criticize owners who get involved who shouldn't? Don't we make fun of those people who step in over the better judgement of their head people they hire to run their organizations? Lewand is pres, and Mayhew is GM. These are supposed to be your best football minds, no? I'd be much more concerned if the Ford's stepped in and ordered a specific head coach that Lewand and Mayhew didn't want. That would a perfect situation for major problems between the front office and the coaching staff.

I won't disagree that I question the hire. Not a Caldwell fan (yet), but if the Ford's have a problem here they need to start by cleaning out the front office, not force the front office to get a guy they don't want.

They were all stunned that Caldwell mapped out every throw Stafford made this past season before his interview. Really?? That impresses you? I've seen college kids do that sort of research before their first job. Maybe Whisenhunt was a little busy to map out Stafford's throws BECAUSE HIS TEAM WAS IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm sure it came down to that. I'm sure the Lions said: Okay, we don't want Whisenhunt because he didn't map out Stafford's throws. Except for the fact that everything out there seems to point towards the Lions WANTING Whisenhunt first and going to Caldwell as plan B.

How stupid of this organization not to even wait to interview Gase or Quinn or Roman. How utterly stupid. Bill Ford Jr is a chip off the old block...he's no different than the old man...

Remember it's presumed that the Lions were really looking for previous HC experience.

I'm not surprised they were influenced by Tony Dungy. He and Peyton gave Caldwell a pity reference...we've all done it for friends we knew are unqualified and would screw up the gig. It's called being a friend.

Having read Dungy's book, I seriously doubt that he's the type of guy who would do this. Dungy may have deluded himself into thinking that Cladwell really is a better coach than he is, but seriously doubt he would go out of his way to give a positive reference for a guy he really didn't think deserved it.

The smartest thing Bill Ford Jr ever did was fire himself as CEO of Ford and fall *** backward into hiring a proven talent like Alan Mulally. One thing is for sure, Mulally did not have a mediocre to bad resume like Caldwell.

Wait... I'm confused. Earlier you seemed to calling for the Ford's to be involved in the coaching decision. Now you seem to be calling for them to stay out of the decision process. Which way is it?

Need more evidence?

That's as much evidence of the Lions making a social statement as the fact that Schwartz's OC and DC being white was evidence that he was a white supremacist.

Caldwell is a very "meh" hiring, and brings no excitement to next season.....yet. We'll have to see who is OC and DC will be.

That's as much evidence of the Lions making a social statement as the fact that Schwartz's OC and DC being white was evidence that he was a white supremacist.

Scott Linehan and Gunther Cunningham were known quantities...both former head coaches and well respected. These other two guys? Nobody ever heard of them and neither has even been a coordinator in the NFL before. If Caldwell would bring along coaches with NFL coordinator experience, I might give him a chance. As it stands now, I see the Lions window of opportunity closing more rapidly than fans will expect. Calvin has maybe 2 more years at a high level, if his knees hold up. Stafford is on edge of teetering to greatness or obscurity. Suh could end up leaving, and Bush is an injury waiting to happen. If the Lions screwed up this coaching hire, we probably are looking at another rebuild in 3 years.

Same here, I'm always reluctant to recommend anyone for jobs because it reflects on me.

I'd add I suppose few of my friends would screw up gigs in general.

I'd guess I'd also say I have no friends who are too stupid or oblivious to their incompetence / being out of their element to even consider asking me for the recommendation for a job they are unqualified for in the first place.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Need more evidence?

Who the hell cares what ancestry they have?

Caldwell is a very "meh" hiring, and brings no excitement to next season.....yet. We'll have to see who is OC and DC will be.

The assistants are probably more important than the head coach. I'm more worried about losing Xanders, because ultimately, it's the players that matter most.

This reflects more on the sad state of the Lions than anything else really:

@ESPNStatsInfo Jim Caldwell has more career playoff wins (2) than the Lions organization over the last 55 years combined (1-10).

Austin is a very exciting defensive coordinator candidate. I have a friend who coaches college ball and is a huge Ravens fan who gushes about the guy.

I've seen nothing but good things about him via Twitter.

If he is flat out terrible, they can fire him at any time.

As a Lions fan, I really hope he succeeds because all I care about is wins and seeing the Lions succeed for once in my life.

You're new to Lions fandom, aren't you?

I'm not sure he's getting five years. If the Lions don't do well in the first couple of season(s), Mayhew's job will be on the line.

Mayhew's might be, but that doesn't mean Caldwell's will be.

I think he must make the playoffs within the next two years or they both are done.

Sure, that's what you would do, and that's what I would do.

Tennessee Titans over Detroit Lions: $1M more year for Ken Whisenhunt - ESPN

Ken Whisenhunt might like Nashville. He might like the Tennessee Titans' roster. And he might have hit it off with Ruston Webster.

But in choosing the Titans over the Detroit Lions and becoming Tennessee's new head coach, Whisenhunt got $1 million more in annual salary than what Detroit offered, according to a source familiar with the offers.

I guess I look at it this way.

Even the greatest coach will look bad if he has bad players.

I'm more interested in the guy that has shown he can win with good players.

Caldwell has done that. He probably had the best resume out of anyone that was available as far as having winning teams under his charge.

I understand not being excited about the hire. I don't understand being negative about the hire.

Well, I look at his track record as:

Indy:

Year 1 - Great

Year 2 - Ok

Year 3 - Terrible

Baltimore:

Year 1 - OK

Year 2 - Terrible

I give him a pass for year 3 in Indy, but I also don't give him much credit for year 1. I think Peyton Manning looks any OC or HC look good on that side of the ball. The defenses in Indy were average to terrible all 3 years he was there.

I don't think he's the worst hire of all time, but he's certainly an uninspiring one. I don't see anything in his track record that suggests he's particularly good or particularly terrible. It's disappointing because while I don't think Whisenhunt was that much better as an overall candidate, he at least came with the idea of being the perfect guy to work with Stafford.

Hopefully Caldwell and whichever OC he settles on will know what they're doing in that department as well, but imo there's much less of a track record to say whether they will either way.

As far as giving him a chance, I'm giving him a chance, I'll watch every game next year, if the Lions do well I'll be delighted. That doesn't mean I have to pretend to think it's a good hire though. I don't like Ian Kinsler as an acquisition for the Tigers, but I still hope he hits a HR every at bat next year. It's the same idea with Caldwell. I hope he does well and I'm certainly not going to be calling for him to be fired after game 1.

Pride Of Detroit@PrideOfDetroit2mEd Werder just said on ESPN that #Eagles QBs coach Bill Lazor is going to be Jim Caldwell's OC.

Young guy. Only 41. Anyone know anything about him?

I am cautiously optimistic. The next couple years will be interesting. I think what won him over for the front office was his interest in Stafford. When Stafford is having good day, the team does well. When Stafford is bad, they lose. I think he is key and if they work with Stafford to develop him into a mature QB then they can do well.

In any case I have no regrets hoping for Schwartz firing. I think a bit of fresh air beats more of the same.

Well, I look at his track record as:

Indy:

Year 1 - Great

Year 2 - Ok

Year 3 - Terrible

Baltimore:

Year 1 - OK

Year 2 - Terrible

You forgot his college head coaching record:

Wake Forest:

Year 1 - Terrible

Year 2 - Terrible*

Year 3 - Terrible

Year 4 - Terrible

Year 5 - Mediocre

Year 6 - Terrible

Year 7 - Mediocre

Year 8 - Terrible

* Despite some joker changing his Wikipedia record to 10-1 this year, they were actually 3-8