Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

It's too bad that Caldwell didn't see that the offense looked like pure garbage under Lombardi. If he(Ms. Ford etc) fires Lombardi sooner, we may be having a different conversation about Caldwell and the Lions in the playoffs.

If the Lions are dead set on keeping Caldwell, Cooter, and Austin, they should just sign Accorsi to a one year GM deal(if he would be willing to take the deal for one year) and tell Caldwell that he is on a very short leash. If they start next season 3-5 or worse, he is guaranteed to be fired after 8 games.

As I said before, as a person, you can't get much better than Caldwell and I have read that the players love him, but his inability to see that the offense was garbage under Lombardi should lead to his firing.

It's too bad that Caldwell didn't see that the offense looked like pure garbage under Lombardi. If he(Ms. Ford etc) fires Lombardi sooner, we may be having a different conversation about Caldwell and the Lions in the playoffs.

If the Lions are dead set on keeping Caldwell, Cooter, and Austin, they should just sign Accorsi to a one year GM deal(if he would be willing to take the deal for one year) and tell Caldwell that he is on a very short leash. If they start next season 3-5 or worse, he is guaranteed to be fired after 8 games.

As I said before, as a person, you can't get much better than Caldwell and I have read that the players love him, but his inability to see that the offense was garbage under Lombardi should lead to his firing.

No GM is going to sign a 1 year deal. And the HC job is so much less important than the GM anyway. I don't understand this logic that anyone besides the GM should be deciding Caldwell's fate. I don't get it. People freaked about Ron Wood making any football decisions, and yet they simultaneously want him to make decisions based on Caldwell?

I think it would behoove the next GM to give it a year; I don't want to keep Caldwell as much as I want to keep the coordinators. I wouldn't mind Teryl Austin taking over as the HC either.

No GM is going to sign a 1 year deal. And the HC job is so much less important than the GM anyway. I don't understand this logic that anyone besides the GM should be deciding Caldwell's fate. I don't get it. People freaked about Ron Wood making any football decisions, and yet they simultaneously want him to make decisions based on Caldwell?

Ernie Accorsi is the man I mentioned and he is the one that the Lions already hired to help find the next GM. I mentioned him because he has experience and he claims he is only the consultant, etc. but maybe he would stand in for one season. That way you wouldn't tell a new GM that you MUST keep Caldwell. Accorsi would only be the GM for one season and that is it.

Edited by nd1377

Would Gase be better than Caldwell? From what I have read, if Gase is hired, there is a really good chance that Cooter would keep his position.

I doubt that Accorsi will take a 1 year deal and I don't like the idea of Caldwell being a lame duck, it's too much unneeded pressure not only for the coaching staff but the players as well. Either commit to Caldwell and staff or clear the cupboard and start fresh, no half measures.

I still think that the new GM will bring in his own handpicked coach so I expect Caldwell to be gone despite the better as of late. Very rarely do you see a new GM come in and keep the old guard.

I'm sure they will try to convince the coordinators to stay but obviously that will be up to the new coach.

There is also the distinct possibility that White gets promoted to GM in which case, I fully expect Caldwell to stay.

I'm 50/50 on what I'd do with Caldwell. I don't think Caldwell is as poor a coach as some seem to think (lack of sideline emotion doesn't mean he's a bad coach). Of course there are negatives to go along with the positives and I have certainly been critical of some of Caldwell's decisions (in game and sticking with Lombardi too long) but he did hire some promising coordinators and the players do play hard for him so I guess I'd be fine either way, as long as White isn't the new GM.

Edited by NYLion

I think Caldwell is a poor coach, but a good executive. The players like him, he seems to manage them well. He needs good assistants to cover up his tactical weaknesses. I think the Lions might have that now, but then I see stuff like the end of the Green Bay game and it's just 'how can this guy be an NFL coach'

I agree with this, but it occurs to me that keeping Lombardi may not have been entirely on Caldwell. I suspect it was, but it wouldn't surprise me - given the bizarre structure and lack of accountability in the Lions' front office - if Mayhew (and/or Lewand) were pressuring for Caldwell to keep Lombardi. Again, I'm not saying that happened, or even that I think it happened, just that it wouldn't surprise me if it had.

In any event, I agree with Cruzer that I hate to see the coordinators go.

Edit: Just saw this article talking about Caldwell's long history with Jim Bob. The way he talks about Jim Bob, I wonder why he didn't hire him as OC from the beginning.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/12/detroit_lions_jim_bob_cooter.html

Edited by Jason_R

Black Monday should open up a number of vacancies – I hope the Lions know it'd be in their best interest to wrap up this GM hire sooner than later. The longer they take the more it delays the hiring of a new HC. By the time the Lions get around to it all the viable candidates could be gone

Black Monday should open up a number of vacancies – I hope the Lions know it'd be in their best interest to wrap up this GM hire sooner than later. The longer they take the more it delays the hiring of a new HC. By the time the Lions get around to it all the viable candidates could be gone

On the other hand, getting the GM hire right is more important than getting the HC hire right. The longer they take, the better the chance they will keep Caldwell.

Which is why Caldwell will be the head coach next year.

On the other hand, getting the GM hire right is more important than getting the HC hire right. The longer they take, the better the chance they will keep Caldwell.

This. So much this. Honestly, while I think this team is talented, forcing a coach on a GM so you can win next year could mean that you have to pass on GMs that will help you become the next Patriots. If they get the right GM, I don't care if Martha Ford coaches the team next year because all the good coaches are gone.

I just ran across this interesting bit of Adam Gase's history with the Lions.

But first, let’s talk about Gase’s work with Cutler. Gase called Cutler in early January, before he interviewed for the Bears head coach opening, to make sure that Cutler would be comfortable working with him if he got the job. The two men had some history: In 2006, when Cutler was entering the draft out of Vanderbilt, the Lions didn't have a quarterbacks coach and so Gase was the offensive quality-control coach assigned to vet Cutler. The Lions ended up drafting linebacker Ernie Sims with the No. 9 pick. But they had considered taking a quarterback to develop behind Jon Kitna, and Gase really liked Cutler (who went to Denver with the 11th pick).

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/31/adam-gase-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-jay-cutler-peyton-manning-tim-tebow

All I can say is ugh.