Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

We'll also need a pool on who lasts longer, Ausmus or Caldwell.

Oooh... good question. Assuming they both succeed it'll be Ausmus as he's younger. Assuming they both are bad... then I dunno. Tigers are a better team right now so it'll take longer for Ausmus' assumed failure to show, but the Lions ownership has a habit of sticking with their man. It's a toss up for me.

For all the talk(including by me a bit), Caldwell and Whisenhunt have very similar resumes. They made the SB and lost, with a HOF QB and a loaded passing game. They both coached a HOF QB before that and they both went on to help another stud young QB improve after that. They both come from quality organizations as well(both Indy and Balt in Caldwell's case)

I dislike fans who won't even give Caldwell a chance before he coaches one game.

He could be really good.

I guess I look at it this way.

Even the greatest coach will look bad if he has bad players.

I'm more interested in the guy that has shown he can win with good players.

Caldwell has done that. He probably had the best resume out of anyone that was available as far as having winning teams under his charge.

I understand not being excited about the hire. I don't understand being negative about the hire.

I dislike fans who won't even give Caldwell a chance before he coaches one game.

He could be really good.

It could work out, but he would have been way down on my list. Not happy at all.

Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

I keep seeing Tressels name pop up in conversation, can someone please enlighten me on what his role would be. Thanks.

so, who will the next hire be? you know, in a couple of years when Calvin will be past his prime and Stafford will have continued to make it abundantly clear that he cannot be the franchise quarterback of anything but a losing franchise.

I keep seeing Tressels name pop up in conversation, can someone please enlighten me on what his role would be. Thanks.

evil.

A boring retread "offensive" coach who has only had a good offense when he had Peyton Manning calling the plays on field.

Can't wait to see that with Matt Stafford at QB

The reason for optimism lies in last year's Ravens offense. They were a different team when he took over.

This year's Ravens unit suffered from a severe lack of talent. A bad offensive line coupled, with a poor running attack a lack of passing weapons.

For all the talk(including by me a bit), Caldwell and Whisenhunt have very similar resumes. They made the SB and lost, with a HOF QB and a loaded passing game. They both coached a HOF QB before that and they both went on to help another stud young QB improve after that. They both come from quality organizations as well(both Indy and Balt in Caldwell's case)

One possible advantage is that Caldwell's team in Indy was a dome team and his philosophy is much more "pass-first" than Whisenhunt's.

Whisenhunt was my clear number one, no doubt about it - but when it really comes down to it, a lot of Caldwell's "meh-ness" stems from a lack of real personality.

Since this involves both offense and defense I'll put it here:

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 41s

Teryl Austin is expected to be named Lions defensive coordinator and Ron Prince offensive coordinator or assistant head coach, per source

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 2m

Not OC, an assistant RT @ESPN1009: According to @davebirkett, #Rutgers OC Ron Prince may be the #Lions OC

Edited by drownwithyou

I have no problem with the hire. He's not a slam dunk but no candidate was. It's just annoying the things people dig for to not like a guy, i.e. his coaching record at Wake Forest -- where they haven't had a winning head coach from 1937-50(!) -- or the Ravens offense last year: behind a terrible OL, training camp injuries (Pitta) and personnel decisions (trading Boldin).

I have no problem with the hire. He's not a slam dunk but no candidate was. It's just annoying the things people dig for to not like a guy, i.e. his coaching record at Wake Forest -- where they haven't had a winning head coach from 1937-50(!) -- or the Ravens offense last year: behind a terrible OL, training camp injuries (Pitta) and personnel decisions (trading Boldin).

I bet Flacco loves Caldwell. That superbowl run got him paid. Caldwell didn't take over til December, right to the superbowl they went.

Hmmm, don't know anything about Prince. The Austin hire excites me though.

I just looked up Prince. I do not think he qualifies as a OC. Would be surprised if he lands that gig.

Let's face it, this is an affirmative action hire. The problem is that if the Lions wanted to give a black head coach a chance, Caldwell was the worst one available. I am dumbfounded by this move. There is nothing in Caldwell's resume that suggests he would be a good head coach. His record AS A HEAD COACH is underwhelming. The Fords are too dumb to see it and apparently too busy attending cocktail parties at the NAIAS to be bothered. So they let Mayhew and Lewand make the pick. They were all stunned that Caldwell mapped out every throw Stafford made this past season before his interview. Really?? That impresses you? I've seen college kids do that sort of research before their first job. Maybe Whisenhunt was a little busy to map out Stafford's throws BECAUSE HIS TEAM WAS IN THE PLAYOFFS. Caldwell was sitting at home about to be fired by the Ravens. But, the Ravens were smart enough to wait, because they knew the idiot Lions would jump in and they wouldn't have to fire him and pay his salary.

How stupid of this organization not to even wait to interview Gase or Quinn or Roman. How utterly stupid. Bill Ford Jr is a chip off the old block...he's no different than the old man...I'm not surprised they were influenced by Tony Dungy. He and Peyton gave Caldwell a pity reference...we've all done it for friends we knew are unqualified and would screw up the gig. It's called being a friend. The smartest thing Bill Ford Jr ever did was fire himself as CEO of Ford and fall *** backward into hiring a proven talent like Alan Mulally. One thing is for sure, Mulally did not have a mediocre to bad resume like Caldwell.

Let's face it, this is an affirmative action hire. The problem is that if the Lions wanted to give a black head coach a chance, Caldwell was the worst one available.

I'm not seeing this at all.

What tipped the scale towards Whisenhunt for me is that he resurrected Warner and Rivers careers, careers that were falling into an abyss prior to his arrival. He also aided in Roethlisberger's development from the beginning, not an already established Roethlisberger. He has a longer track record of success with QBs.

The only time he was unsuccessful was when he had Leinart, Skelton etc. to work with.

I don't put much stock into catching lightning in a bottle with Flacco in the playoffs after an otherwise disappointing regular season. He was there with Manning from the beginning so i guess he should get some credit for that but he was also awful at Wake Forest, a program that was turned around a bit shortly after his departure. His claim to fame pretty much is being the offensive coordinator on a Super Bowl winning Ravens team, a team that just happened to catch fire at the perfect time then proceeded to be near the bottom of the league offensively the next season.

Edited by NYLion

I'm not seeing this at all.

Agreed. Caldwell was obviously not the worst black head coaching candidate.

If Mayhew is the one to have called the shots on this hire it should be make/break for him. It's pretty hard to tell who is calling the shots, though.

My take on Caldwell is (a) obviously an awful college HC (b) capable asst. HC © mediocre pro HC and (d) who the hell knows if he's a good HC for this team or not.

I'm not impressed but I don't know that much about him.