Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

I just hate the hire. It is not a good fit.

I think coach Caldwell has done a very good job. He has gotten the most out of his players, and we play hard for him each and every week," Saturday said before the season finale. "We haven't necessarily played well, we've made mistakes and done things, but they have, oftentimes, been things that we've talked about in coaching meetings."

Indianapolis Colts fire Jim Caldwell after NFL-worst 2-14 season - ESPN

Given that Stafford, Suh, and Johnson are all entering their primes or are in their primes, this is it for the Lions. They need to win now.

The Vikings are a mess. The Bears defense is a mess.

The Lions and Packers should challenge for the division next year. With a little luck the Lions can win 9 games.

I just hate the hire. It is not a good fit.

It's actually a pretty darn good fit. It's just the wrong name for you.

...Caldwells claims to fame are a 2009 14-2 season given to him by peyton manning, . A superbowl loss in 2010, again he had Manning...

Peyton Manning in 2009. When you reference 14-2 he might as well have been the QB, HC, OC, hell why not GM. But when you reference the lost SB, he is the victim of a crappy coach. :dead:

Reporter's Reaction To Hiring

At about 5:20 of the video, one of the reporter's claimed they talked to Caldwell and he told them Matthew Stafford would be willing to do anything to get better. The video is pretty good as the two reporter's talk about Caldwell, etc.

Peyton Manning in 2009. When you reference 14-2 he might as well have been the QB, HC, OC, hell why not GM. But when you reference the lost SB, he is the victim of a crappy coach. :dead:

I don't think that. They lost because Manning didn't perform well in the Super Bowl and he threw an interception that destroyed their chances of winning.

It truly comes down to 2 things (in my opinion)

1. Stafford's mechanics. His arm is there. He understands the game (we have seen that). He has a good, young offensive line that should get better when they draft Bryan Stork to play C. Many of Stafford's mistakes or poor throws come when he throws off his back foot. That can be remedied without tearing down the guy's ego, but Caldwell needs to get through to him that football has to be everything to him - he needs to be driven to improve.

2. Conditioning. This team needs much better conditioning. The Eagles strategy was to just wear down the Lions because their coaching staff knew that the Lions tended to wear down int he fourth quarter. It worked beautifully. This team under Schwartz also had a habit of fading late in the season. Remember the New Orleans & Green Bay games during the playoff season? The Lions just got worn down by the second half. Mr. Caldwell must grind these guys in training camp and demand they are in the best shape of their career - run them until they hate him. It will pay off. (it's one of the reasons the Eagles got stronger later in the season, they were in much better shape than most other teams). I am not holding out hope that this will happen.

It truly comes down to 2 things (in my opinion)

..........2. Conditioning. This team needs much better conditioning. The Eagles strategy was to just wear down the Lions because their coaching staff knew that the Lions tended to wear down int he fourth quarter. It worked beautifully........

They played pretty well for playing in over a foot of snow. The Lions performed their usual circus of turning the ball over. For example, Bell fumbled twice inside the 20, if I remember right and Bush was too cold to play.

When you think back on the season and think what could have been, Stafford seems to take a lot of the blame.

This season to me was lost on two plays:

1. Against the Bucs Calvin catches a pass inside the 5 and then immediately loses it and the game is over.

2. Lions up 7-0 against the Ravens and driving. Calvin is wide open and would have been inside the Ravens 25 yard line. Of course, he drops the wide open pass and then the Lions wheels fall off. Later in the game, another big conversion needed, and Calvin again drops a wide open pass.

This season had a lot of errors and what ifs. But to me, the biggest ones were on Calvin. Those two plays are what directly led to missing the playoffs, imo.

Well, whether he will succeed or fail, I do not know but one thing I do know is that I like him. He seems like a good honest hard working guy with a clear ethos that he wants to instill into the team. To that end, he is already an improvement on Schwartz.

Sry, cant plat that game. All their wins were not blowouts, so u can also then say a few more bad plays and they only win 5 games. I don't give much credit for going from awful to average, which is what their record says they are. Going from 7-9 to 13-3 deserves a lot of resppect. Im in the show me camp. Lions have conditioned me to trust nothing they say or do...but ill still watch, because i want them to win. But boy do i have some walls up with this team.

I can play whatever game I want. My point, which you also illustrated, is that there is a fine line between 5 wins and 11 wins. Honestly, if people would only stop citing wins and losses as a measure of team talent, if be happy. Way too many games are won/lost on a play or two here and there.

Are the lions elite? Of course not.

But to play my game, they went 2-6 in games decided by 4 points or fewer. I'm not suggesting they would have won all six of the games they lost. But I think it's also fair, based on what happened in those games, to think they should have gone 5-3.

Should have been wins:

Tampa

Chicago

Balt

Nyg

Minny

Should have been losses:

Arizona

Dallas

Cincy

Whatever, it really doesn't matter.

KC was very good this year. Going from Matt cassel and Brady Quinn to Alex smith will tend to improve a team. Credit to them for making it happen.

When you think back on the season and think what could have been, Stafford seems to take a lot of the blame.

1. Against the Bucs Calvin catches a pass inside the 5 and then immediately loses it and the game is over.

2. Lions up 7-0 against the Ravens and driving. Calvin is wide open and would have been inside the Ravens 25 yard line. Of course, he drops the wide open pass and then the Lions wheels fall off. Later in the game, another big conversion needed, and Calvin again drops a wide open pass.

This season had a lot of errors and what ifs. But to me, the biggest ones were on Calvin. Those two plays are what directly led to missing the playoffs, imo.

Agreed.

Calvin seems to get a free pass from fans, media etc. because he's Megatron and supposedly invincible, but he made a handful of mistakes at absolutely critical moments.

As far as i'm concerned, that drop against Tampa that led to the INT was the turning point of the season, but for some reason Stafford gets the blame.

Stafford deserves his share of blame but as you mentioned, those 2 drops absolutely sunk the Lions.

Reggie Bush deserves a lot of blame too for those momentum killing fumbles.

I think that the multitude of injuries really caught up to CJ, he got worse as the season went along and just didn't seem like himself. I hope that this isn't the start of a trend downwards for him, he's not getting any younger and the style that he plays i'm sure has put a lot of wear and tear on his body.

Agreed.

Calvin seems to get a free pass from fans, media etc. because he's Megatron and supposedly invincible, but he made a handful of mistakes at absolutely critical moments.

As far as i'm concerned, that drop against Tampa that led to the INT was the turning point of the season, but for some reason Stafford gets the blame.

Stafford deserves his share of blame but as you mentioned, those 2 drops absolutely sunk the Lions.

I think that the multitude of injuries really caught up to CJ, he got worse as the season went along and just didn't seem like himself. I hope that this isn't the start of a trend downwards for him, he's not getting any younger and the style that he plays i'm sure has put a lot of wear and tear on his body.

Those drops didn't help...I do not think he is 'invincible', but holy bat hell crazy...CJ is not 'the only' reason we missed the playoffs....nor was he the 'only reason' we won as many games we did.

I will NEVER understand people who take the best player...not only on the team, but arguably in THE LEAGUE and lay blame for a team sport involving 40+ players solely on him. That is madness...utter madness.

Those drops didn't help...I do not think he is 'invincible', but holy bat hell crazy...CJ is not 'the only' reason we missed the playoffs....nor was he the 'only reason' we won as many games we did.

I will NEVER understand people who take the best player...not only on the team, but arguably in THE LEAGUE and lay blame for a team sport involving 40+ players solely on him. That is madness...utter madness.

Please re-read my post....

Agreed.

There's plenty of blame to go around, it was a team effort. I'm just pointing out that those 2 errors by CJ really hurt the Lions, very critical errors.

Lots of guys made lots of critical errors. Stafford, Bush, Johnson, Willie Young, Nick Fairley, Kris Durham, Sam Martin, David Akers. Each one of these guys had a mistake that could have cost a game.

Heck, even Nate Burleson had that big pizza fumble that cost the team.

Can't pin the season on one guy.

Lots of guys made lots of critical errors. Stafford, Bush, Johnson, Willie Young, Nick Fairley, Kris Durham, Sam Martin, David Akers. Each one of these guys had a mistake that could have cost a game.

Heck, even Nate Burleson had that big pizza fumble that cost the team.

Can't pin the season on one guy.

Correct and even the equipment team deserves some blame for not keeping Bush warm in cold weather games.

If we are discussing the season as a whole, or the overall performance of the team, the biggest culprit for their performance is stafford.

He lost 12 fumbles and threw 19 interceptions. That's an insane amount.

I think he's better than that, though. He's going to have his share of interceptions, and that's fine, but you can't expect the team to have success with that many turnovers.

Please re-read my post....

I quoted 2 posts there...the first was TP going crazy and you said 'agreed' and went on to say CJ gets a 'free pass from the fans'...I did not need to read anymore, but did and still thought it was crazy talk.

I quoted 2 posts there...the first was TP going crazy and you said 'agreed' and went on to say CJ gets a 'free pass from the fans'...I did not need to read anymore, but did and still thought it was crazy talk.

I'm sorry, but i have no idea what you're talking about.

What was so crazy about what i said?

The part about CJ making 2 errors at critical times?

The part about Stafford deserving some of the blame?

The part about Bush deserving some of the blame?

You've been on these forums pretty frequently, i'm sure that you read media reports, watch the TV analysis etc.

From what i've seen/read, the majority of the blame for the Lions failures have almost exclusively been blamed on Stafford and Schwartz.

I have hardly seen anybody calling out CJ for making errors at critical times and i think a lot has to do with his reputation of being the best receiver in the game and the Lions MVP.

Once again, there was plenty of blame to go around but the 2 errors against Tampa Bay and Baltimore (the timing of them) really stood out as turning points in the season.

I agreed with TP that those were the most critical errors of the season that stood out. It doesn't mean that CJ is the sole reason for the failed season, but those 2 plays were turning points.

If he gets tons of credit for catching big TDs, he should get the blame when he makes critical errors.

Edited by NYLion

If Calvin doesn't fumble into an interception against the bucs, the Lions make the playoffs.

It seems odd that if a single play here or there went differently, and the lions made the playoffs, that Jim Schwartz would probably still be the coach.

I feel like many wouldn't have called for his head.

But is anything different now than if the lions had made the playoffs?

I just find it odd. I don't care that he was fired. He wasn't anything special.

It's not hard to argue that the lions are better off now than if they had made the playoffs.

If Calvin doesn't fumble into an interception against the bucs, the Lions make the playoffs.

Or, Matt Stafford could have not thrown a pick six when the Lions would have beaten the Giants if they simply took a knee and punted.

There are a lot of single plays that lost the Lions games this year.

Once again, there was plenty of blame to go around but the 2 errors against Tampa Bay and Baltimore (the timing of them) really stood out as turning points in the season.

I agreed with TP that those were the most critical errors of the season that stood out. It doesn't mean that CJ is the sole reason for the failed season, but those 2 plays were turning points.

If he gets tons of credit for catching big TDs, he should get the blame when he makes critical errors.

Fine...you want to put blame on him go ahead. I could point to about 20 other plays that were just as important that did not come from the best player, but most fans do not see those because they have star eyes for the best players without looking at the entire picture.

Anyone recall the punt with a minute or so left in the cincy game?

How about the missed field goal from Akers in the first -v- the Cardinals...and then missing AGAIN after a penalty to make it 5 yards closer?

How about the BLOCKED FG in that same game?

How about the 67 yard pass in the Greenbay game Rodgers threw to Cobb in the third that lead to points? Was that CJS's fault?

How about the 6-4 Lions getting beat by the 4-7 Steelers...and the 47 yard pass to brown that went for a TD that put them up 14-0?

Wanna talk about the Baltimore game? How about third and 15 with 2:20 to go in the game up 1 point? Baltimore converts for a 27 yard gain to basically ice that game? THAT was the game...we were winning had them at third and long and lost by one point.

Let us look at a couple drops from the best player in the league while he was hurt and point at those.

Fine...you want to put blame on him go ahead. I could point to about 20 other plays that were just as important that did not come from the best player, but most fans do not see those because they have star eyes for the best players without looking at the entire picture.

Anyone recall the punt with a minute or so left in the cincy game?

How about the missed field goal from Akers in the first -v- the Cardinals...and then missing AGAIN after a penalty to make it 5 yards closer?

How about the BLOCKED FG in that same game?

How about the 67 yard pass in the Greenbay game Rodgers threw to Cobb in the third that lead to points? Was that CJS's fault?

How about the 6-4 Lions getting beat by the 4-7 Steelers...and the 47 yard pass to brown that went for a TD that put them up 14-0?

Wanna talk about the Baltimore game? How about third and 15 with 2:20 to go in the game up 1 point? Baltimore converts for a 27 yard gain to basically ice that game? THAT was the game...we were winning had them at third and long and lost by one point.

Let us look at a couple drops from the best player in the league while he was hurt and point at those.

OH good lord.

It's almost as if you're choosing to ignore my post once again.

AGAIN and i don't think i need to repeat this again.... There was plenty of blame to go around, the entire team and coaching staff deserves blame, but Calvin Johnson's 2 errors came at really critical moments that hindered the ability of the team to win those games.

Everybody made errors at inopportune times but those 2 drops and in particular, the Tampa Bay drop really stood out as an critical error at a bad time.

Again, do i need to make myself any more clear that i'm not singling out Johnson, just pointing out that those drops came at really bad moments.

Scott Norwood made the most critical error in the Bills-Giants Super Bowl with wide right but the entire team deserves blame. Some errors are more critical than others and naturally, will be talked about more because of the timing of the error, but that doesn't mean that all the fault lies with that one player.

The same goes for great plays that are made. Tyree made the great, against the helmet catch that turned around the Patriots-Giants Superbowl game but he's not the sole reason why the Giants won that game.

Now do you understand where i'm coming from?

OH good lord.

It's almost as if you're choosing to ignore my post once again.

AGAIN and i don't think i need to repeat this again.... There was plenty of blame to go around, the entire team and coaching staff deserves blame, but Calvin Johnson's 2 errors came at really critical moments that hindered the ability of the team to win those games.

Everybody made errors at inopportune times but those 2 drops and in particular, the Tampa Bay drop really stood out as an critical error at a bad time.

Again, do i need to make myself any more clear that i'm not singling out Johnson, just pointing out that those drops came at really bad moments.

Scott Norwood made the most critical error in the Bills-Giants Super Bowl with wide right but the entire team deserves blame. Some errors are more critical than others and naturally, will be talked about more because of the timing of the error, but that doesn't mean that all the fault lies with that one player.

The same goes for great plays that are made. Tyree made the great, against the helmet catch that turned around the Patriots-Giants Superbowl game but he's not the sole reason why the Giants won that game.

Now do you understand where i'm coming from?

Oh good lord...it is almost as if you didn't read my post. You keep saying there is plenty of blame to go around and then turn around and put MORE blame on the best player because of your perceived 'horrid timing' of the drops. They were bad...there were others that if made would have made those drops inconsequential.

My dad always said that anything said before a 'but' you can throw away.

Oh good lord...it is almost as if you didn't read my post. You keep saying there is plenty of blame to go around and then turn around and put MORE blame on the best player because of your perceived 'horrid timing' of the drops. They were bad...there were others that if made would have made those drops inconsequential.

My dad always said that anything said before a 'but' you can throw away.

HOWEVER, Calvin Johnson had 2 critical mistakes at key moments. Is that better? Sheesh.

This is such a pointless argument especially if you choose not to read my posts more carefully and understand the point i'm trying to make.