Vonlenska

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as head coach

A boring retread "offensive" coach who has only had a good offense when he had Peyton Manning calling the plays on field.

Can't wait to see that with Matt Stafford at QB

I don't know about by far the best option, but I think it could be a good hire. There are a lot of positives he offers. There are some negatives as well. Bring good coordinators JIm, that will define your legacy.

Crap. Hope he proves me wrong for being entirely underwhlemed.

My sentiments exactly.

Whether this is going to work out or not should be apparent immediately. Ten wins or bust.

Well, if you want to be positive I will say that in theory the Lions aren't a team that needs an exciting hire. They have a lot of the pieces in place, if Caldwell simply puts a little discipline into the team and does anything with Stafford he could work out well.

I'll be interested to see who his coordinators are, especially on the defensive side. Hopefully no one from his Indy days.

It's going to be an interesting sports year for me... I only really follow the Tigers and Lions closely. I'm not a fan of either coaching hire.

But then I'm not a GM either, so hopefully they know a lot more about things than I do. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

As this starts to sink in more and more... I can't help but feel like this is Mornhenwig 2.0.

Stop me if you've heard this before: A Michigan native that is widely considered a good coach and a desirable "get" is not available. However this guy speaks very highly of his protege and strongly encourages the Lions to high him. (Yeah, I know there are lots of other differences, but I still get this feeling that the front office was sold a bill of goods by a big name and it might come back to bite them.)

If it's the Lions doing the hiring, it is almost certainly a culture hire. Organizational harmony and maintaining familial atmosphere is extremely important to the ownership of this club.

In any event, he's ours for the next five years at least, no matter what, so we might as well root for the best.

Edited by chasfh

If it's the Lions doing the hiring, it is almost certainly a chemistry hire. Organizational harmony and maintaining familial atmosphere is extremely important to ownership of this club.

In any event, he's ours for the next five years at least, no matter what, so we might as well root for the best.

If he is flat out terrible, they can fire him at any time.

As a Lions fan, I really hope he succeeds because all I care about is wins and seeing the Lions succeed for once in my life.

OK, let's see who he brings is as DC and OC. Time for a new era. Let's see how Caldwell does.

If it's the Lions doing the hiring, it is almost certainly a chemistry hire. Organizational harmony and maintaining familial atmosphere is extremely important to the ownership of this club.

I'm not sure he's getting five years. If the Lions don't do well in the first couple of season(s), Mayhew's job will be on the line.

I'm not sure he's getting five years. If the Lions don't do well in the first couple of season(s), Mayhew's job will be on the line.

I think he must make the playoffs within the next two years or they both are done.