thefunk

2014 Michigan Wolverines Football

I probably won't post in a game thread while the game is occurring. But I might use them for pre-game talk or post-game talk.

I don't know what our record will be, but we certainly look terrible. The OL still sucks and there won't be a run game as long as that's true. Having a dominant run game is the only way we have a chance to be respectable, thus.....

Shane Morris watch begins!

I don't know what our record will be, but we certainly look terrible. The OL still sucks and there won't be a run game as long as that's true. Having a dominant run game is the only way we have a chance to be respectable, thus.....

Shane Morris watch begins!

I think it's more than just the oline. I think it's Gardner too. He doesn't make quick decisions. I can't imagine that EVERY receiver Michigan has is covered while he sits back there and waits, waits, waits, and then panics into a stupid throw. Notre dame had the ball out of Gholson's hands very quickly on a lot of plays yesterday, Michigan almost never did.

I think it's just like last year when he locked in on Gallon on every play. This year he locks in on Funchess on every play.

And if it's because he doesn't have enough time, then throw some quick slants. Roll Gardner out and use his legs.

I don't think Borges was stupid. I don't think Nussmeier is stupid either. I'm beginning to think Gardner might be.

Anwar Richardson ‏@AnwarRichardson 2m

Texas and Michigan are currently working on dates, but it will likely be sometime in the 2020s #Longhorns #HookEm #Wolverines

I think it's more than just the oline. I think it's Gardner too. He doesn't make quick decisions. I can't imagine that EVERY receiver Michigan has is covered while he sits back there and waits, waits, waits, and then panics into a stupid throw. Notre dame had the ball out of Gholson's hands very quickly on a lot of plays yesterday, Michigan almost never did.

I think it's just like last year when he locked in on Gallon on every play. This year he locks in on Funchess on every play.

And if it's because he doesn't have enough time, then throw some quick slants. Roll Gardner out and use his legs.

I don't think Borges was stupid. I don't think Nussmeier is stupid either. I'm beginning to think Gardner might be.

I agree with this. He pulls you in with an occasional great game but he is just not a reliable performer. And it's almost not fair the heat that is going to come down on the kid this year if he turns out be the major factor holding them back that I think he probably is, I'm sure it's not for lack of trying.

I had wondered about Butch Jones. I could see that happening if the Harbaughs say no. I still think Jon Gruden might, at the very least, change the PR narrative to a positive one. He wouldn't come cheap, though.

After transfer from Don Bosco, star and mom told to leave home rented from coach's brother - News - NorthJersey.com

When high school football standout Jabrill Peppers jilted Don Bosco Prep by transferring to archrival Paramus Catholic in 2012, he and his mother were ordered to vacate the apartment they were renting from the brother of a Don Bosco assistant coach.

Peppers and his mother, Ivory Bryant, had lived in the apartment in Allendale for nearly two years, ever since he entered Don Bosco as a promising freshman football player in 2010. The apartment had been arranged for them as a “favor” by the assistant coach, Steven Karvellas, Bryant said in court papers filed at the time of the eviction.

Asked about the situation Tuesday, the head of the NJSIAA, which governs high school athletics in New Jersey, said the organization will expand its investigation of possible recruiting violations at Don Bosco.

“Needless to say, NJSIAA is very concerned about the new information obtained by The Bergen Record,” said Steven Timko, the executive director of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. “Based on initial reporting, we’ve asked Don Bosco for clarification, but in light of these new details, the NJSIAA will broaden the probe and ask the parties involved for more information.”

More at the link

In general QBs get too much blame or credit for a team's performance, but watching an M team that is clearly superior to this Indiana team struggle because of QB play, you can't help but come back to the question of whether this team would look even half as bad as it has it it had a QB. Devon is really, really bad. Picks, balls that should be picks that the DBs miss, constanly throwing the ball behind receivers and taking them out of stride killing YAC, taking sacks when plays are there, misreading coverages. He's just a disaster. All against a team without a particularly pressuring D.

Can't imagine how untalented Morris must be not be able to outplay him.

Which still comes back to Brady. Monumental mistake not to have found a 1st rate QB of his own. In the end probably as big a contributing cause to both Brandon's and his ultimate firing as Brandon's ham handedness.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Whatever happened to those 100 point+ UM-Northwestern games?

Half ends with NO SCORE as M has a FG attempt blocked with 21 seconds left. M fails to score on three possessions started on the NW side of the field. Michigan playing great D in the 1st half, the 'O' is completely inept. Devin doing his best to give the ball back or make a bad throw every time there is any threat of M getting close to a score. Funchess completely off his game couldn't catch a cold. Can't we just make Mattison the head coach?

Two bad college football teams. Exciting stuff.

Gardner probably the worst 5th yr sr QB I have ever seen play in D1. He is unable to hit a receiver on time in stride other than by accident. I don't remember him being this bad two years ago.

First score of the game 38 minutes in - it's M for a TD after NW muffs a punt reception.

M finally scores and D has the game in hand as NW offense cannot move the ball against the M, so Gardner gives up a 70 yrd Int to make them feel better! Michigans D still does not yield. Can we play without a QB? Our best chance to hold on to this one .

Edited by Gehringer_2

Gardner probably the worst 5th yr sr QB I have ever seen play in D1. He is unable to hit a receiver on time in stride other than by accident. I don't remember him being this bad two years ago.

First score of the game 38 minutes in - it's M for a TD after NW muffs a punt reception.

Bad, Bad, Bad....please let next year be the grooming of our elite freshman who is recruited this offseason. If that's Alex Malzone, great...if someone else, ok.

Gardner almost gives up another Pick 6 after he bats a blocked pass back *up* into air. Don't let Devin touch the ball again and there is no way we can lose.

Great play by the punt team today. Two punts downed inside the NW 2.

All we can say good about this game is that our D was great and it's a W for the program

I was thinking this same thing earlier. Every single time he takes a snap you have to worry about him turning the ball over. He is by far the worst QB I've ever watched play the game.

On the bright side, he can't possibly lose a game for them next weekend.

Tough season so far for Les Miles - makes you wonder if he wouldn't be interested in a change of scenery...

:ponder::paranoid:

He can stay down in Baton Rouge.