thefunk

2014 Michigan Wolverines Football

Who listens to michigan games on the radio?

People who are traveling, working, have to be outside, are not near a tv, live in areas that dont have the game on tv, etc

On the topic of 2014, there have been many reports of the department being desperate to sell tickets this year.

I also noticed today that mgoblog has another kick starter for its annual magazine. Last year it was funded after three days. This year, it's hovering at 50 percent after a week.

Fans are really not looking forward to this upcoming season.

John U Bacon just savaged Brandon's total mis-understanding of his product this morning on WUOM. Student ticket purchases down more than 40% in two years.

Michigan athletics loses magic and fans thanks to Brandon's policies | Michigan Radio

So I am trying to understand...fans are staying away because there is too much marketing or because the prices have been jacked up on everything Michigan?

I'm no fan of Dave Brandon and I certainly think that he has made far too many mistakes, mostly with scheduling and annoying marketing, but I don't think misunderstanding his product is the reason for student ticket decline.

I think the main reasons for decreased ticket sales is a combination of poor play over the last few years, especially against msu and osu, combined with the terrible home schedule. Plus, students have probably had little trouble finding tickets, or have had trouble getting rid of them, so there isn't much incentive.

Casual fans aren't going to shell out for this schedule, especially when they can drink and pre game and then just watch on tv.

Seriously, the student pre game festivities that I see now are much more intense than anything I experienced.

I think all the late afternoon starts has something to do with it. It used to be about dragging yourself out of bed and getting down to the game. Now you drag yourself out of bed and go to a party

So I am trying to understand...fans are staying away because there is too much marketing or because the prices have been jacked up on everything Michigan?

it's the whole ball of wax, it's creates an attitude that students sense about how the AD sees them. I would describe it this way - go back a generation and students felt it was *their* game and the rest of what was going on was secondary, now the average student gets no sense of proprietorship in the team - they feel they are now at the bottom of the departments priorities instead of the top. Now I wouldn't argue that his change hasn't been happening for some time, but Brandon has really pushed it to a tipping point. I work with UM undergrads and I could see this coming just listening to the way they talked about UM football and way they felt the Dept didn't care about what they wanted. If he keeps this up he will have lose a generation of future alumni fans. A 40% drop in student purchases may be great for the short term budget but it's an unprecedented indictment at a premier institution of the basic bankruptcy of today's NCAA revenue sports.

I'm no fan of Dave Brandon and I certainly think that he has made far too many mistakes, mostly with scheduling and annoying marketing, but I don't think misunderstanding his product is the reason for student ticket decline.

I think the main reasons for decreased ticket sales is a combination of poor play over the last few years, especially against msu and osu, combined with the terrible home schedule. Plus, students have probably had little trouble finding tickets, or have had trouble getting rid of them, so there isn't much incentive.

Casual fans aren't going to shell out for this schedule, especially when they can drink and pre game and then just watch on tv.

Seriously, the student pre game festivities that I see now are much more intense than anything I experienced.

I think all the late afternoon starts has something to do with it. It used to be about dragging yourself out of bed and getting down to the game. Now you drag yourself out of bed and go to a party

This is my experience. I usually take in one or two Michigan tailgates every year. I haven't been to a game in about 3 years now. We park at the high school, tailgate like there is no tomorrow and then go watch the game on TV while continuing the festivities.

But I'd say that's part of exactly it. They care way more about the party than going to the game. Plus you have to be careful about confusing the still present core of really rabid students that is still there, with the loss of support in the broader student body that never tailgated but bought the bulk of the tickets.

I was home for a week last fall and got to go to a Michigan game. I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to get reasonably priced football tickets on Craigslist and Stubhub. I live in SEC country now, and I've seen a lot of my friends turn down tickets the past few years. They always say they would rather watch the game in HD on their 60"-70" tv. Even with some of the big games, they often choose to watch it on tv. I wonder if we will start to see a trend in the next few years?

Today is the first time I've ever seen a TV commercial advertising Michigan football tickets. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention in past years, but it just felt strange to see.

Today is the first time I've ever seen a TV commercial advertising Michigan football tickets. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention in past years, but it just felt strange to see.

I could be wrong but I think the wait list is now officially gone. The loss of student sales has been in the 5 figures. That left a lot of tickets to market to the public.

Probably gonna be a very big couple of years for Brandon. Schlissel has no personal investment in Brandon. AthDept staffing is not going to be the top of his list (UM Hosp needs a new director and a couple other top admin jobs are also open), and who knows what Schlissel's view are on college athletics, but Brandon probably has a year or so before Schlissel has the inclination to spend a lot of attention on the athletic dept as long as the dept can keep itself out of the headlines.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Maybe fireworks will make you order tickets.

http://regents.umich.edu/meetings/07-14/2014-07-IX-12.pdf

Not to mention one more thing guaranteed drive the non UM townies crazy. I don't know if you've ever been to Pasadena when they were playing a game at the Rose bowl. The Pasedena residents hate the games so much they block every street so there is not *one* residential street or lawn parking space anywhere. I could see the AA city council getting PO'd enough to do something retaliatory like banning lawn parking for UM games.

Not to mention one more thing guaranteed drive the non UM townies crazy. I don't know if you've ever been to Pasadena when they were playing a game at the Rose bowl. The Pasedena residents hate the games so much they block every street so there is not *one* residential street or lawn parking space anywhere. I could see the AA city council getting PO'd enough to do something retaliatory like banning lawn parking for UM games.

I live in a neighborhood not too far from the stadium, and it's amazing how much my neighbors seem to loathe the university. I don't get it.

People actually complained about the winter classic being an added inconvenience. The argument being that they knew what they signed up for regarding home football games, but this single event on New Year's Day was somehow the final straw.

People complain that the new billboard is distracting.

They complain about the night game.

They complain about the noise coming from the stadium.

They complain that Main Street is closed now for that short stretch adjacent the stadium.

It doesn't seem like the congestion on 7 or 8 fall Saturdays is a big burden to me.

I think the art fairs and endless street festivals downtown are a bigger nuisance. Or the various marathons or 5Ks.

I think the art fairs and endless street festivals downtown are a bigger nuisance. Or the various marathons or 5Ks.

HaHa, A lot of us hate the Art Fair also. /..grumble....grumble.../

HaHa, A lot of us hate the Art Fair also. /..grumble....grumble.../

Yeah, should be a "fun" week. I hope it rains the entire time.