thefunk

2014 Michigan Wolverines Football

wtf. this is the first i've heard of these court documents being released. based on the police report gibbons should have been kicked off the team 4 years ago. lewan should have been suspended. wtf.

and i'm not sure what hoke was doing. maybe gibbons did have an injury, but for the bowl game it clearly wasn't a family issue. and he surely had to know at some point before the expulsion.

While I have no idea what Hoke was thinking with his statements after Gibbons had already been expelled, OTOH, I think Drew Sharp today in the Freep has it completely wrong that the public has any intrinsic right to know the why, how, or who, when the University expels a student if it is for a non-criminal matter - and while maybe there should have been a criminal charge in this case, there was not.

I can't imagine what Brady thought he was gaining by not just stating that Gibbons was no longer enrolled and leaving it at that.

Edited by Gehringer_2

While I have no idea what Hoke was thinking with his statements after Gibbons had already been expelled, OTOH, I think Drew Sharp today in the Freep has it completely wrong that the public has any intrinsic right to know the why, how, or who, when the University expels a student if it is for a non-criminal matter - and while maybe there should have been a criminal charge in this case, there was not.

I can't imagine what Brady thought he was gaining by not just stating that Gibbons was no longer enrolled and leaving it at that.

Hoke's statement is completely befuddling. But it's also not a huuuuge deal, at the worst he lied about something he couldn't tell the truth about. He should apologize/clarify and be done with it. It's not anywhere close to a firable offense or anything.

I would like to hear the statement in full and in context.

For example:

Reporter: where is Brendan gibbons?

Hoke: he is at home in Florida.

Reporter: why?

Hoke: that's a family matter.

I would like to hear the statement in full and in context.

For example:

Reporter: where is Brendan gibbons?

Hoke: he is at home in Florida.

Reporter: why?

Hoke: that's a family matter.

Coaches shading about reasons for guys not playing is a pretty traditional fudge.

More interesting - at least wrt what kind of coach Hoke is/will be - would be the questions around what he learned about the Gibbons situation once he took over and what judgments he formed about it. Valenti was on his high horse last week arguing that once Hoke found out about Gibbons he should have sent him packing anyway - regardless of what the police or the Academic office had done about things. While that *might* be a sound position. it implies a whole raft of assumptions that we do not and cannot know the validity of, so whether that really would have been the proper course is no better than pure speculation.

TE Jake Butt has a torn ACL.

He really emerged late in the season. With Funchess basically a WR these days, he was the next tight end on this team.

Jake Ryan's knee injury last season came in late March, and he came back in October. Hopefully Butt's progress will be close to that.

So, this dude is selling a photo of himself flipping off the Big House.... it's a "notEable" moment.

OSU education ftw. I don't really like to call out spelling fales, but holy crap that's great.

hall-photo-signed.jpg

U.S. Department of Education looking into Michigan Wolverines' response to 2009 rape allegations - ESPN

I think they want more answers and not the lies Hoke has been giving:

Smith received an email on Monday night that informed him that the Office of Civil Rights would be looking into the matter because it was "appropriate to proceed to investigation on the following issue: that the University failed to promptly and equitably respond to complaints, reports and/or incidents of sexual violence of which it had notice, and, as a result, students were subjected to a sexually hostile environment."

Is that a standard follow up investigation for these type of things? I ask because I see MSU is also being investigated.

The State News :: Feds probe MSU for sexual assault misconduct

If a complaint is filed, the Feds are probably obligated to do something. From just a quick survey, Doug Smith, who filed the complaint for the Federal review, appears to be a borderline malcontent, but since the University did change its policy between the two ends of the case, I can see the Feds coming in and eventually saying "Your old policy was non-compliant", which will already be a moot point.

And not that I have any sympathy for revenue sport athletes, but from a purely due-process stand-point what the University did in this case was clearly ex-post facto. I guess that is not a constitutional violation when it occurs in an administrative policy rules regime, but this would have been a much less ambiguous case it had been the police deciding to reconsider the charges 3 yrs later rather than University changing its rules to get around the lack of complainant co-operation.

We got the office of civil rights to investigate our school district. They drove up to meet us and everything. It can sound worse than it is. But it does get their attention. Been a year and we've not heard a peep. But our issues got resolved.

So I saw something interesting today from the MSU basketball loss at OSU.

So not that I was any great fan of Borges, but I remember he was pretty roundly pilloried after an OSU player said after the UM/OSU football game that they had guessed the play UM would use if it came down to a 2 point conversion. Courtesy of a post by Pyro:

As Ohio State fans shook with nervous energy, a calm came over the sideline. All week, the third-ranked Buckeyes had prepared for Michigan’s two-point conversion plays and, now, with the most important play of the season arriving, cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs told his players he knew what was coming.

He alerted Tyvis Powell that the Wolverines were going to motion triple stack and Michigan wide receiver Bo Dever would run an angle route. Those events took place shortly thereafter. And the final result of the Wolverine’s two-point conversion was a Powell interception.

So today, with time winding down in the MSU-OSU basketball game, Tom Izzo called took a time out to set up a play, and guess what happened?

Izzo called a timeout to draw up a play, but it was the Buckeyes who drew up a better one.

"We drew the play that they ran against Wisconsin; we actually went through it at shootaround today," Ohio State coach Thad Matta said. "It was like, `Chances are, fellas, they might try to run this again."

With Williams stuck inside on a screen, athletic Sam Thompson took two quick steps to close quickly, applying pressure to the 6-foot-10 Payne on a 3-pointer with 27 seconds left.

"I had to adjust my shot in the air and it came up short," said Payne, an Ohio native who played AAU ball on the same team with Craft and former Buckeye Jared Sullinger.

With the ball bounding loose, Craft went to the floor to control it like a defensive back pouncing on a fumble. The senior was tied up on the play, but the possession arrow favored the Buckeyes with 24.8 seconds remaining.

from Michigan State Spartans vs. Ohio State Buckeyes - Recap - March 09, 2014 - ESPN

so, Borges is gone anyway, but I guess the only moral of the story is, players still have to execute.

General Admission student seating is over after one year, after failing to improve student attendance.

In its place is a new seniority system, with seniority based on the number of games you attended on time the previous season instead of basing it on credit hours as in the past.

I don't know how they will handle it for the upcoming season, because I doubt they have the data from last year. I suppose it could be based on credit hours this year.

I think this is a good change. I thought general admission was better than credit hour seniority, but it still did nothing to incentivize showing up merely on time, because by then the people who lined up already had the best seats. Rolling in late wasn't much worse than showing up just before kickoff, so why make the effort?

Now students can get good seats in the following season if they show up on time.

Of course, the incentive won't be there for seniors, because they won't have tickets the following year. I wonder if they could create an incentive for seniors, like a waiver of the minimum donation to get on the season ticket list after they graduate if they satisfy the on time arrival cutoff.

5* QB Josh Rosen is visiting UM, flew in yesterday not sure how long but this is an unofficial visit so it is on his(parents) dime.

Seems a lock for UCLA but....he is in AA now.

General Admission student seating is over after one year, after failing to improve student attendance.

In its place is a new seniority system, with seniority based on the number of games you attended on time the previous season instead of basing it on credit hours as in the past.

I don't know how they will handle it for the upcoming season, because I doubt they have the data from last year. I suppose it could be based on credit hours this year.

I think this is a good change. I thought general admission was better than credit hour seniority, but it still did nothing to incentivize showing up merely on time, because by then the people who lined up already had the best seats. Rolling in late wasn't much worse than showing up just before kickoff, so why make the effort?

Now students can get good seats in the following season if they show up on time.

Of course, the incentive won't be there for seniors, because they won't have tickets the following year. I wonder if they could create an incentive for seniors, like a waiver of the minimum donation to get on the season ticket list after they graduate if they satisfy the on time arrival cutoff.

Brandon is a piece of work. Hope Schlissel has a different vision when he gets here and shows him the door.

Brandon is a piece of work. Hope Schlissel has a different vision when he gets here and shows him the door.

He has a different vision alright, a lot different than Mary Sue Coleman's vision when it comes to sports. That difference will be more interesting to watch than he and Brandon. Will he adopt to UM view of sports or will be the Brown view of sports?

There is a rumor on other msg boards that Alabama center/guard Chad Lindsey is transferring to either Nebraska or Michigan. Chad will graduate in May and still has a year of eligibility left. He started 4 games last year and saw other action too. 6'1" 315 lbs

He has a different vision alright, a lot different than Mary Sue Coleman's vision when it comes to sports. That difference will be more interesting to watch than he and Brandon. Will he adopt to UM view of sports or will be the Brown view of sports?

He spent a lot more time at Berkeley than at Brown, which might be more relevant. Berkeley plays with the big boys in the Pac-10, and they did drop major change on their football stadium recently, but football probably means as much less to Golden Bears compared to Wolverines as it does to Wolverines compared to Buckeyes.

v. Appalachian State (WIN)

@ Notre Dame (LOSS)

v. Miami (OH) (WIN)

v. Utah (WIN)

v. Minny (WIN)

@ Rutgers (WIN)

v. Penn State (WIN)

@ MSU (LOSS)

v. Indiana (WIN)

@ Northwestern (WIN)

v. Maryland (WIN)

@ Ohio State (LOSS)

Should be 9-3. But the Penn State and Northwestern games could also be losses.

Dierdorf is great, but Brandy doing play-by-play is a train wreck waiting to happen.

wow - love Dierdorf also and TBH, I think I might be able to take Brandstatter easier doing PBP. He's not so bad when he is just speaking - but when he's trying to emphasize a point doing color that weird kinda wheezing sing song intonation he breaks into is like nails on a chalkboard to me.