thefunk

2014 Michigan Wolverines Football

I wouldn't expect too much. Their offense didn't block anybody during 2013,

Too true. Maybe the only reasonable hope is that the underclass lineman come back bigger and stronger for next season, otherwise hard to see how the running game improves. It won't be by playing even younger recruits on the O-line even they bring some in.

This buys Brady another year after 14.

If we are mediocre again it'll be excused away and we'll all talk about how great '15 is going to be.

Like the hire. Hate everything else about it.

The presser really made this sound like a Dave Brandon hire. If that's the case, its not good for the football program. I hope Hoke is successful, but if he's not... what coach worth his salt is going to want to come work for college's version of Jerry Jones?

I wouldn't expect too much. Their offense didn't block anybody during 2013, and they have to replace both tackles. I would be shocked if they were any better next year. They have a ton of problems to fix.

It speaks to the shambles that the interior line and play calling/philosophy was that you have a 1st round tackle and a guy that's probably getting drafted yet they were pretty much invisible last season. Their talent was completely wasted.

I think if you get the OL coached up and working as a unit in tune with an actual offensive philosophy (as opposed to a set of plays each week that are rather isolated) you are going to see actual development, starting from the opening week of camp and carrying on week to week, both with the OL and the QB, who should be better for the whole season if he's not beat up due to the mess of the interior OL/offense.

Like the hire. Hate everything else about it.

The presser really made this sound like a Dave Brandon hire. If that's the case, its not good for the football program. I hope Hoke is successful, but if he's not... what coach worth his salt is going to want to come work for college's version of Jerry Jones?

If Hoke wasn't going to make a change, Brandon had to. Hesitance to fire under-performing staff has been a problem with Michigan football since Carr. If Brandon had to help it along that's a positive for him and a negative for Hoke in my book.

If Hoke wasn't going to make a change, Brandon had to. Hesitance to fire under-performing staff has been a problem with Michigan football since Carr. If Brandon had to help it along that's a positive for him and a negative for Hoke in my book.

rumor has it.... emphasis on rumor.... Gorgeous was implementing what Hoke wanted... and took the fall for it.

Looking at the 2014 schedule, it is very easy outside the three rivals. I will be very annoyed if we repeat this years' performance.

v. Appalachian State

@ Notre Dame

v. Miami (OH)

v. Utah

v. Minny

@ Rutgers

v. Penn State

@ MSU (Bullcrap that this is in EL 2x in a row)

v. Indiana

@ Northwestern

v. Maryland

@ Ohio State

Less than 8 wins is unacceptable IMO, regardless of who is under center.

If things take a positive turn in the first 7, i.e. Finding out we're better than we thought, running the table is extremely possible.

I wouldn't expect too much. Their offense didn't block anybody during 2013, and they have to replace both tackles. I would be shocked if they were any better next year. They have a ton of problems to fix.

This was a strength of Nussmeier at `Bama.

If things take a positive turn in the first 7, i.e. Finding out we're better than we thought, running the table is extremely possible.

is that sarcasm or optimism?! I certainly can't see them running anything - esp with Devin at QB. Even if he starts and plays generally well and they win 10, there will be at least one game where he makes enough mistakes to cost them a win. It's who he is.

It's neither. Basically I said if we end up being a better team than is probably realistic, we could have a chance to upset State and Ohio.

It's just without names like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, that schedule looks like something the Michigan teams of old would eat for breakfast.

It's neither. Basically I said if we end up being a better team than is probably realistic, we could have a chance to upset State and Ohio.

Yeah - not impressed with OSU, they have been skating on the edge of a fall from grace - remind me recently of UM in Carr's last years. Urban has his work cut out for him. I'm getting more impressed by MSU though. Not to many people are going to beat them by accident anymore I don't think.

is that sarcasm or optimism?! I certainly can't see them running anything - esp with Devin at QB. Even if he starts and plays generally well and they win 10, there will be at least one game where he makes enough mistakes to cost them a win. It's who he is.

Yeah, I don't see anything in Gardner's profile that says he's a guy who is always going to have more turnover problems than a typical QB. He's not terrible going through progressions, his accuracy isn't a strength but it's not Denard-like at all. And he certainly went under trial by fire so he has experience with dealing with pocket pressure. Certainly when you have no weapons on offense and have to make things happen, about any non-heisman candidate is going to turn the ball over, and he did last year, but I think about any QB would with that offense. He'll be missing 3 key pieces from 2013, but the other guys should be a good bit better, and there should be more depth with Darboh and Harris hopefully being a key part of the WR corps. And hopefully he gets some better coaching, as in today's game the QB position is a good part coaching.

Looking at the 2014 schedule, it is very easy outside the three rivals. I will be very annoyed if we repeat this years' performance.

v. Appalachian State (WIN - this is actually an FBS game in 2014!)

@ Notre Dame (LOSS)

v. Miami (OH) (WIN)

v. Utah (WIN)

v. Minny (WIN)

@ Rutgers (WIN)

v. Penn State (LOSS)

@ MSU (LOSS)

v. Indiana (WIN)

@ Northwestern (WIN)

v. Maryland (WIN)

@ Ohio State (LOSS)

Less than 8 wins is unacceptable IMO, regardless of who is under center.

I'd take that season.

I'd take that season.

v. Appalachian State (WIN)

@ Notre Dame (LOSS)

v. Miami (OH) (WIN)

v. Utah (WIN)

v. Minny (WIN)

@ Rutgers (WIN)

v. Penn State (WIN)

@ MSU (LOSS)

v. Indiana (WIN)

@ Northwestern (WIN)

v. Maryland (WIN)

@ Ohio State (LOSS)

There are only 3 tough games in the entire schedule. 9-3 is actually my bottom end. I will actually be disappoined in 9-3 because that means we did not beat a good team all year.

Can we finally admit that Michigan is no longer an elite program and is not viewed as such by kids anymore?

Decommits decommits everywhere!

And YOU get to decommit...and YOU get to decommit.

Weird - ironic - whatever, that UM ends up with a de-commit based on dumping a coach who didn't want be be that involved in recruiting. :confused:

Good riddance.

Shame on the university for having such a slow moving investigation, or a previous policy that was too soft to have investigated in the first place.

No reason for it take four years for an internal investigation to conclude.

I don't think it took 4 years. I think they swept it under the rug and left it alone. Someone uncovered the truth and put all the court documents on the internet. Then action was taken.

Hoke clearly lied. He said gibbons had a leg injury prior to the bowl game, no way he didn't know what was coming down. Ugly job by the University.

I don't think it took 4 years. I think they swept it under the rug and left it alone. Someone uncovered the truth and put all the court documents on the internet. Then action was taken.

Hoke clearly lied. He said gibbons had a leg injury prior to the bowl game, no way he didn't know what was coming down. Ugly job by the University.

Spot on. UM hadn't had a good kicker in years...they didn't want to sideline Gibbons.