thefunk

2014 Michigan Wolverines Football

People online are being critical of this letter from OSU because it came from another campus as opposed to from Columbus or the AD. The guy is the director of community relations. He checks out on Linkedin too, so there is no reason to believe this isn't a legitimate response from the University. I seriously doubt that he is sending letters like this completely on his own accord- I have to assume it was after consultation with others in the University. I find it to be a classy move and something that makes me feel proud to be a fan of the Big 10. This rivalry is beyond nasty and intense, and frankly, I don't always care for the way their fans react and treat fans of opposing teams. But honestly, this was a classy reaction by OSU to a classy action on Gardner's part.

At the institutional level (that is, everything but sports) there is no lack of collegiality between OSU and UM - there is a lot of co-operative research - shared projects etc.

At the institutional level (that is, everything but sports) there is no lack of collegiality between OSU and UM - there is a lot of co-operative research - shared projects etc.

You mean the stuff that really matters? Why do we care about that, this is a sports board? :silly:

Seriously, I don't know if Devin Gardner will ever amount to anything in professional football, or if he'll even make a practice squad, let alone be a great NFL player. But to me, that really doesn't matter. He's going to be an incredible person in society, based on everything I've ever read or seen from the kid in interviews. And as sappy as it sounds, that is a pretty ok thing.

I can say pretty confidently Devin Gardner will not amount to anything in professional football. I would quite frankly be shocked if any team even looks at him for more than a cursory glance.

I do agree it is more important on a societal level that someone be a great person and mediocre to worse collegiate athlete than a mediocre or worse person but a great collegiate athlete.

As a fan, I prefer the opposite on gameday.

One of the first things I thought of after seeing Gardner & Barrett was the iconic photo of Woody & Bo talking pregame. A simple picture, yet so powerful in meaning.

It's the best move for Funchess given Michigan's limbo coaching status along with precarious QB situation. His stock took a hit this season with lazy play and drops, but he's probably still on track to be drafted before the end of the 3rd round.

Always nice to see a player go pro off of a horrible year in which he looked completely undraftable

Fortunately he'll do well in his workouts and get drafted way higher than he deserves